[DIS] Castle Walls

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] Castle Walls

Post by Alige »

@i: damn, damn, DAMN: great job! keep it up :)
@Matt: np :) it was a pleasure
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Matt wrote:BTW, thanks Ali for resurrecting Iru :P
I was daily observer of TMW forums. But Ali-G started messing with my tiles :) I know I have to act.
Matt - autumn is usually a period of my coming-backs. I have some free time after summer season.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Looks nice. Could we get another run on brick on the top so we can make the walls on the side any height? Other then that it's perfect and breaks down nicely. IDK if the water matches the water already in tmw but I guess that's just a superficial thing that can be fixed later. I don't know how practical the cut corners are but they look nice. As always your texture is top notch. (I'm jelly I can't texture that well.)

Ali-G beat me to adding the grass on the bottom of the stairs. I guess how we know how to get I out of lurk mode. Mess with his tiles. XD This even brought Jetryl out of the shadows.

I still plan on doing the ground/wall integration for the CR-1 Type grass. I don't want it to look like it's just placed on the ground even thou Ali-G suggested it wasn't needed because the grass is short. Cliffs are still up in the air. I'll get with meway and work on getting CR-1 back on track once I'm done with Thermin,Dessert Remake, and finishing my Woodland Inn Tilesets. I'm also thinking of re-doing the INN tilesets that are currently used in the dessert region to match the new exterior sets. It's not going to be for awhile so I can wait and figure out what to do about cliffs perhaps I'll take I's suggestion and try and edit Len's Dessert Cliffs.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I improved Modanungs work, lets see what happens now!

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:Looks nice. Could we get another run on brick on the top so we can make the walls on the side any height? Other then that it's perfect and breaks down nicely. IDK if the water matches the water already in tmw but I guess that's just a superficial thing that can be fixed later. I don't know how practical the cut corners are but they look nice. As always your texture is top notch. (I'm jelly I can't texture that well.)
I'm aware of tillability aspects. I always draw on layers in case of further modifications. The large bricks on pylons are made to simplify mapping process. Vertical wall is in center of tile, that reduce amount of needed tiles. Because those tiles are purely constructional and will serve only as base for other larger buildings. I cut corners because I hate orthogonal shaped buildings. We need variety in game-world. About texturing methods, try to add HSV noise on other layer. Make it greyscale and set proper layer mixing method. Adjust layer transparency, and you will get nice sand like base for texture. Of course there is still need to redrawing some parts by hand, changing colour, reducing amount of colors, etc. Anyway it's the quickest method for achieving this kind texture. Metal textures are usually drawn only by hand, using wacom tablet - like metal parts in main gate doorway. Choosing palette is very important. But you already know that.
Pixiebobs
Novice
Novice

Post by Pixiebobs »

Matt wrote:I improved Modanungs work, lets see what happens now!

IT SUCKS.... LOL Modanung Come back HURRY
Breaking News: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get The Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate can be forwarded to 1-800-WAA-WAAA. This is Dr. Sniffle reporting from Quitchur Bitchen
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Kinda off topic but I tried your textureing method for fun. I made this. IDK how good it is and well I don't know if I'll ever find a use for it but figured I'd see if this was kinda how to do it.
Attachments
stonewall.png
stonewall.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 7645 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:Kinda off topic but I tried your textureing method for fun. I made this. IDK how good it is and well I don't know if I'll ever find a use for it but figured I'd see if this was kinda how to do it.
I hope this will explain a little better:
poor and ugly texture.png
poor and ugly texture.png (47.35 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yhea that explains it alot better. XD I didn't desaturate the noise layer and has some off colors. Also I didn't apply a motion blur. Also I didn't apply the layer to the predawn brick pattern or highlight the left and top of the bricks they way you did. I guess the next step after that would be to fix some of the off colors like the little marks that are just a bit too dark.

I tried doing the HSV Noise on a separate layer but it doesn't show anything. I did it on the base color layer. I keep getting the same look. meh. I'll figure it out eventually.
MerlinX420
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

MerlinX420 wrote:I tried doing the HSV Noise on a separate layer but it doesn't show anything. I did it on the base color layer. I keep getting the same look. meh. I'll figure it out eventually.
Try it on white layer. This method will not produce final texture, but you will have a nice base for further experiments.

BTW I started salvaging Ivan Morve's pavement tileset. I made pavement transitions with transparent space for secondary tile. We could have mixes: pavement-same/other pavement, pavement-grass/solid ground/dessert sand, etc.

More info on trello: https://trello.com/card/board/pavement- ... 00004d78c6
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

This is awesome! But why don't we remove the grass and keep these pavement tiles? We could put them on a new layer (Ground2) and don't bother ourselves making a whole lot of tiles with different floors.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ali-G wrote:This is awesome! But why don't we remove the grass and keep these pavement tiles? We could put them on a new layer (Ground2) and don't bother ourselves making a whole lot of tiles with different floors.
Crush wrote:While separating objects from ground gives the mapper more flexibility, you are also missing out on the possibilities of ground integration.

You can improve the look of the transmission between ground and buildings a lot when you have ground elements overlap the bottom of the walls a bit. Take the woodland buildings and stones, for example. Some blades of grass reach into the area of the stones. This gives the impression that the walls "sink" into the ground and improve the feeling that they are really part of the scenery and not just dropped into it. You wouldn't be able to do that when separating ground from object tiles.

For that reason I would recommend to create variants of object tiles merged with common ground tiles in addition to the tiles without a background. Of course only when the artist did some ground integration and didn't just copy&pasted the objects onto the background.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:This is awesome! But why don't we remove the grass and keep these pavement tiles? We could put them on a new layer (Ground2) and don't bother ourselves making a whole lot of tiles with different floors.
Ali-G: they are separated. There is no grass in this tileset. It's just a preview.
Crush: about integration - yes, but after whole functional set will be ready.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Nice border on the pavement. Here's my 2nd attempt at a wall. A little bit better this time. I don't know what I could even use it for. I'm sure someone, somewhere could thou.
Attachments
wall2.png
wall2.png (19.42 KiB) Viewed 7604 times
MerlinX420
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Updated the castle-oudoor-2.png tileset by removing unecessary tiles. I'm posting the castle-outdoor-1.png tileset too just in case someone is searching for it.

Image Image