[WIP] Thermin Tilesets

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: [WIP] Thermin Tilesets

Post by Merlin »

Just a small update of the progress of this set. I started working on matching the exterior to the interior.
Attachments
map.png
map.png (102.37 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I really like the new color of the walls however some little things I thought of that might improve the tileset.

1° The stairs should get about the same color as the walls, maybe a bit darker.
2° The big lamp should look a bit less "new", with maybe some rust on it?
3° I saw you have two different doors, I like them both and it would be quite a good thing to have these two doors in the tileset.
4° The mirror and the bed look really, really nice.
5° For me, the chairs are too grey and lack texture, we don't know out of what they are made: steel or wood?
6° The barrel should get the same palette as the bench.
7° We should maybe make the wooden cupboard and similar things a bit darker, to contrast with the floor.
8° The fire in the chimney is normally animated, we should maybe remove it, put it in a single spritesheet and make it be a particle effect, animated tiles would also work.
9° We could maybe add some plants to the interior tileset would be great, it would show that inside the houses, it is warm compared to the harsh cold outside.
10° Adding the fence I made wouldn't be a bad thing, even though they need a lot of work, still.
11° There is a weird step in the stairs, the middle one has... lets say a rectangular outline, might be good to fix that.

MerlinX420, you are doing great, I just gave you some random things I had in mind since I don't know what you did from the time you posted that last post and today.
Good luck,
Ali-G
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ali-G wrote:°
Ali, you got plenty of fine circles :)
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Ali-G wrote:I really like the new color of the walls however some little things I thought of that might improve the tileset.

1° The stairs should get about the same color as the walls, maybe a bit darker.
2° The big lamp should look a bit less "new", with maybe some rust on it?
3° I saw you have two different doors, I like them both and it would be quite a good thing to have these two doors in the tileset.
4° The mirror and the bed look really, really nice.
5° For me, the chairs are too grey and lack texture, we don't know out of what they are made: steel or wood?
6° The barrel should get the same palette as the bench.
7° We should maybe make the wooden cupboard and similar things a bit darker, to contrast with the floor.
8° The fire in the chimney is normally animated, we should maybe remove it, put it in a single spritesheet and make it be a particle effect, animated tiles would also work.
9° We could maybe add some plants to the interior tileset would be great, it would show that inside the houses, it is warm compared to the harsh cold outside.
10° Adding the fence I made wouldn't be a bad thing, even though they need a lot of work, still.
11° There is a weird step in the stairs, the middle one has... lets say a rectangular outline, might be good to fix that.

MerlinX420, you are doing great, I just gave you some random things I had in mind since I don't know what you did from the time you posted that last post and today.
Good luck,
Ali-G
1. Haven't gotten to that yet. Figured I'd change the stairs and the railings.
2. Yhea needs some rust. It was just a quick re-draw of the existing one and I plan on a side mounted lamp for the outside and inside lamps as well.
3. The original interior door blends to well into the walls. However I didn't want to scrap it completely and will still find a use/alter it.
4. Why thank you. XD
5. Yes those need to be worked on still. It was just a rough re-draw to come up with an idea. It's the color of the stone work but perhaps I'll change them to a metal.
6. Haven't gotten to that yet but was planned to be done that way.
7. Yes. Darker or Lighter or maybe a slightly different color to make them not blend in so well.
8. okay. Was just on the sheet to give me reference to the larger one I was making. This is just a worksheet not a tileset yet. :)
9. I imagine I can import some of the plant life and maybe spruce it up a bit.
10. I have an idea for that. I'll get to that soon enough. :)
11. They will be redone.

Here's the latest. I'm not sure what I changed but meh...here it is. This will still take awhile but I rather not rush it. Quality>Quantity.
Attachments
map.png
map.png (104.3 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Start of my Fence Idea for the Thermin region.
I think that maybe I made the posts too big and might change them out completely. Any CC about this idea would be welcomed.
Attachments
TherminFence-wip.png
TherminFence-wip.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
MerlinX420
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I find the design of the posts very interesting, but I am not sure if they fit into the termin area. I would have to see a mockup to judge this properly, though.

Are the posts supposed to have a rectangular or a square base? When you want them to be square, you need to show a bit of the sides (I would recommend prototyping with a wireframe model in inkscape to get a feeling for the perspective). When you want them to be rectangular, you need to have a different design for the corners and the vertical walls, because it doesn't make sense that they are all oriented to the same direction and not oriented parallel to the direction of the wall.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yhea something was bugging me about the shape of the posts. I couldn't place it so I figured someone might see it and tell me what was off about them.
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Updated stone pillar. Would this be correct for a square base?
Attachments
stonepillarwip.png
stonepillarwip.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
MerlinX420
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Perspective looks better, yes, good job! However, I'm not convinced by the texture.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Hope that can help, made by Lien. However, the 4 right and left top tiles from both parts need to be adjusted, they currently look a bit weird. It might also be good to remove the floor from these tiles.
Attachments
ej8tncq4.png
ej8tncq4.png (16.17 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I was considering using a modified version of this set. I really am not to fond of the current cave tileset for the thermin area. I also inmagine I'll be changeing lots of stuff after Iru's tutorial on textureing next Saturday.
http://opengameart.org/content/cave-tileset-0
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I'm considering going with a different direction with this set. I've notice it's kinda mono in terms of color.
I'm purposing something along the lines of this.
Attachments
map.png
map.png (89.14 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Just a small update showing some of the progress. Could use some feedback besides what I've received via IRC. I'm kinda wondering about the brightness of the floor vrs the furniture. Right now I have it where the furniture is slightly lighter then the floor, but I've been told I should lighten the floor a little, should I reverse the brightness of the 2 or just move them both up a notch?

I do realize that this style is a massive break from the current art in the game. (It's more comparable to IRU's block walls.) I'm wondering if this would look out of place compared to places like the woodland and the current snow-land tiles. I have yet to figure out what will be used for the land area outside and might even venture into making a new geological set for the area.

I'm also having difficulty perfecting my exterior block walls. (See my post in the Block wall thread for a preview of the WIP.) I have been studying varies "dwarven" type architecture in varies games and I have LOTS of ideas that make take some time to fully realize. Grated this is taking longer then I thought but I want to really go all out on this set.
Attachments
map.png
map.png (97.52 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Still lots left to do but here's an update. The floor will most likely be completely re done and I will come up with some sort of stone floor as well. Messing around I've found that there's still somethings that are missing. Such as the top of the stairs need to have a connected railing. I started trying to make variant wood floor tiles. I'm not too sure if I'm digging the gold accents on the bed and would like some other opinions on that. I'm going to try and see if I can finish up this interior set then work on the exterior components.
Attachments
map.png
map.png (121.31 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
MerlinX420
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I like it all. The dark finish on the wood is excellent and original to the game.
Current character is "Abolish".