GM coverage survey

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

I recently had problems finding a GM between

Poll ended at 01 Dec 2011, 13:30

0:00 and 3:00 GMT
4%
3:00 and 6:00 GMT
13%
6:00 and 9:00 GMT
17%
9:00 and 12:00 GMT
11%
12:00 and 15:00 GMT
15%
15:00 and 18:00 GMT
6%
18:00 and 21:00 GMT
4%
21:00 and 0:00 GMT
4%
I had no problems finding a GM when I needed one.
9%
I did not need a GM
17%

Total votes: 47
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

GM coverage survey

Post by Crush »

This survey is to find out when we need more GM coverage.

Note that the times in this survey are in the greenwich mean time timezone. You can use http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ to convert your local timezone to GMT.

Please only mark a timeslot when there was a recent event where GM intervention was actually needed but no GM was available. Not because you noted that there was no GM online at that time but there wasn't actually anything to do for a GM.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: GM coverage survey

Post by Big Crunch »

I'm not sure why, but i never have a problem finding a GM when i need one... :oops:
sexy red bearded GM
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Crush wrote: Please only mark a timeslot when there was a recent event where GM intervention was actually needed but no GM was available. Not because you noted that there was no GM online at that time but there wasn't actually anything to do for a GM.
Just curious, how can you validate this?
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I strongly believe that we need maybe 3 times as many GMs. Trying to do it with minimal coverage, as we have now, simply means that there will be many times when GMs are called away by RL for one thing or another, so even if they could cover the time, they won't always.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

I agree with OLLC. I can be a GM for the European time.
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!
Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF]
Novice
Novice

Post by Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF] »

I strongly support DNMrW's suggestion and his personal involvement :
we really need a real Romanian GM here (ideally, one who can actually read a clock).

I guess I just found a serious Candidate to achieve a European-GM Position, finally.
ImageImage
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

While the data we have is still not enough to be representative, the results so far show a lack of GM coverage in the European morning, when most Europeans are going to work/school or still sleeping. Finding someone from Europe to cover that timeframe is unlikely. We should rather look for someone from the east-asian / oceania / australia region.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Crush wrote:While the data we have is still not enough to be representative, the results so far show a lack of GM coverage in the European morning, when most Europeans are going to work/school or still sleeping. Finding someone from Europe to cover that timeframe is unlikely. We should rather look for someone from the east-asian / oceania / australia region.
Crush,

Well, some radio DJs are free at this time, as they're waiting for their time. I know one, but I'm not sure that he'll play "TMW", even for money. Or you can find any librarian, all of them are gamers...
/me hates gamers as you don't feel real world if you're a gamer

Cheers, dark
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Dark you dont mind painting with a broad brush do you?
sexy red bearded GM
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Big Crunch wrote:Dark you dont mind painting with a broad brush do you?
Big Crunch,

Hm, broad brush isn't effective, sometimes you miss some main details if you use it.
Sunako
Peon
Peon

Post by Sunako »

Crush wrote:We should rather look for someone from the east-asian / oceania / australia region.
Oh that makes me happy :)
Sunako from Hawaii for GM!
Omg that thought just made me shiver. Nevermind. I'd be the worst GM ever. XD
Troll Forever!

--Sun
Sunako loves third person, but not third wheels.

I strongly believe in giving credit where credit's due, so ...
Original avatar art created by Arithmetician on PixelJoint
-- http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/2741.htm
and further edited/cropped by Sunako.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Sunako wrote:
Sunako from Hawaii for GM!
Omg that thought just made me shiver. Nevermind. I'd be the worst GM ever. XD
I do not agree with You Sun. Maybe you are too "young" in TMW to be a GM now, and I may not know you enough. But I feel that, with the qualities you've already shown to us, you could make a very good GM in the (close?) future.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

IMO we need quality when it comes to gm's. it should be someone who knows English good, respectful, is online frequently and someone who can be trusted with the commands and responsibilities given to them. Just because someone is from a country other then america it doesn't mean they should be considered just for that reason. They should also carry the above. It would not also just make coverage it would help the community grow.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Chicka-Maria wrote:[...] Just because someone is from a country other then america it doesn't mean they should be considered just for that reason. [...]
Once again Mom you did not read what I said. I repeat,then:
I support someone for GM:
  • She/he is a very nice, frank, fair, and cheerful person.
  • She/he knows how to help with much efficiency.
  • She/he is able to forget her own feelings when common interests requires it.
  • She/he is able to keep calm even when under aggressive behaviour (and after too).
  • She/he speaks English very well.
  • She/he has a good sense of humour.
  • She/he is able to say "I don't know" when she doesn't know.
  • She/he is able to apologize when she was wrong.
  • She/he accepts to be a GM more to help than to get some kind of recognition.
  • She/he is faithful in friendship.
I may add that she/he is a good player, and I never see her/him break any game rule "stricto sensu " as in "common sense".

You may have fulfilled these criterions in my opinion.

I also said in your poll, and it is even more true now, that all actual active GMs live actually in Americas 4 of them in North America; and speak as far as I know only English and Spanish for One of them.
I still think we don't need one more.
I would say the exactly the same to Sunako if (when?) she is nominated, with the same situation as the actual one, and if she lived in Americas.
I may though support a Portuguese speaking player (Brasil) though, with the same other criterions.

I think that GenesisJunior, for example, could make a good GM now, though is English is not perfect, and he lives in Asia. Unfortunately he does not want to be a GM (and I understand his reasons).
Derpella could also be a good GM but curiously every "yes" seems to be followed by a "no". :roll:
Last edited by Nard on 16 May 2012, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Honestly, that one line quoted from Chicka by Nard sums up my feelings about this topic. It doesn't really matter if there is a particular time frame that needs more coverage, because it is difficult enough to find anyone the majority of players will vote for and trust to be GM, without making that search area-specific. As well, where a person is from does not dictate what hours they spend online, which is another big factor.

I do think we should pay attention to candidates that fit those hours, but all the same, I will not vote for anyone just based off where they are from.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself