Tulimshar: Reloaded

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

that was my intention before, but i was told to entirely disregard the old ones and i intend to follow instructions. THe edges are cut off because im not good at mapping and wasnt really thinking when i cut and pasted :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

• former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

By whom were you told to ignore all previous work?
This message used to be meaningful.
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

not all previous work so far as i know, i was just supposed to redo the desert tileset and not pay the old ones any heed. Those instructions are coming from elven
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Adarias, I think the new version is mostly an improvement compared to the older.
Yet I think the rocks on the side of the pavement lack shading. They're too flat, supposing they're sopposed to look round. Also the transition from pavement to something else could be better. You could use the alpha layer and fringe layer for this.

Keep up the good work. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
neoriceisgood
Peon
Peon

Post by neoriceisgood »

These tiles look great I must say, and the "rocks" look like dried out ground with cracks inbetween; if they are this; they don't require excessive shading, considering they're just flat areas.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

neoriceisgood wrote:These tiles look great I must say, and the "rocks" look like dried out ground with cracks inbetween; if they are this; they don't require excessive shading, considering they're just flat areas.
I wasn't talking about those... I was talking about the pavement's edge.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

THey werent supposed to be round, more like very squat cilinders, but i can make them round if its distracting
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

no, don't make them rounder. i think the shape is good the way it is. but when you would add some shading they would look better.

when you make the upper and the right part of every stone a little bit darker and the lower left corner a little bit brighter they will look much more real. look how much that did for my last piece of work:
ImageImage

the larger the shaded zones the rounder will the surface appear. when you limit the different color shades to the edges you still have stones with flat surface but with a much more bumpy impression. like the stone road from my other tileset:
i've used another technique here you could use, too. the edges the viewer looks at are wider than those away from the viewer. that way you can create an illusion of perspective.

by the way: to check out how your tiles work together you can use Tiled, the map editor used to make tmw maps. i found that method much more convenient than copy&pasting my tiles together in an image manipulation program.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.