"Player follow" will get you banned

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
altbdoor
Peon
Peon

Re: "Player follow" will get you banned

Post by altbdoor »

Derpella wrote:I think the rule isn't made to prevent botting, but to prevent certain people make 10-noob mantrains running around one person to torment her and piss GM-s off.
you're right. this can be misused in drop parties as well. if the bot mantrains are configured to pick items, man would they take everything! :o teh horror!

confession: been to 2 drop parties only lol
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

I said I think those are origins of this idea, not that it's good.
I think the rules concerning abuse should be better and more specifically adjusted. Banning autofollowing is like a shooting a fly with a cannon.
I'm Image too much.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Personally, I find it less fun to fight alongside bot stacks.

You need more than one character to fight in that area? Bring a friend.
You don't have friends in the game? Make some (friends, that is. Not just alts).
You like the XP bonus from cooperating with other people? Play cooperatively.

Some people run over other characters with their bots to take all the XP. Some bring archer bots to "boost" their XP (and drops, of course). A few people even think that because they have a stack of 3-4 bots, that area "belongs" to them, and they attack characters who intrude.

It's not actually that hard to play without auto-follow. I won't give away all the secrets, but some say that the arrow keys do something.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

Not everybody uses a whole bunch of characters as well, the rule doesnt compromise with the people such as partys following each other or friends following each other this rule affects everyone even if they are being considerate by having 1 character online and just following their friends.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

1. There are often situation no one is on gy. That's not weird in time when there's 50 players, half afk and half newbies. and about friends, grinding in stack while talking with them is more socializing than running around and and sending occasional alt-3.
2. If stacking is the problem, why isn't stacking (follow + attack) forbidden, but autofollowing as whole? This proves my maintrain theory.
3. Is this a sign macros are going to be forbidden soon, too? I think everything is going in that direction.
4. If using many keys is such a fun, why not write "#inma sec0ndmuleof6thalt" every time, like we should, but use manaplus shortcuts?

I think that only following self (account from the same IP) being forbidden would be enough.
There are many types of not-evil following including:
-not-evil stacking (for example, healer following noob)
-travelling together
-fun
Last edited by Derpella on 19 Nov 2011, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Image too much.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

yubabax116 wrote:Not everybody uses a whole bunch of characters as well, the rule doesnt compromise with the people such as partys following each other or friends following each other this rule affects everyone
By "following" I assume you mean "using a client feature to move automatically."
That's an important distinction because, you know, some people don't use autofollow, and some even *gasp* use the official client. Try it some time. The game is still fun.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Deimheucadh
Novice
Novice

Post by Deimheucadh »

so autofollow prohibited only in the graveyard?
autofollow in multibox (not afk botting) was very very useful, 2 trained archer could clear the whole cave with scorpions and spiders. sadly.
Last edited by Deimheucadh on 19 Nov 2011, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

I have tried it and i dont stack ;) but i still think the rule should be discussed more and adjusted.
Deimheucadh wrote:so autofollow prohibited only in the graveyard?
no its against the rules everywhere...1 thing about the rule i find ridiculous..
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Frost, making quests is fun, talking with people is fun, sitting in town and dressing up is fun, but trying to level up isn't fun at all in most cases.
It can be challenging and cool sometimes on GY, but it's still repetitive after some time, even for archer or mage. When stacking, at least you can talk with your co-stackers.
I'm Image too much.
Deimheucadh
Novice
Novice

Post by Deimheucadh »

i move and fight with keyboard, so talking when fighting is a problem for me. i die when i talk in fighting.
i prefer talking with my friends when resting in the town.
the game is the game, but the tendence is negative: what is the next prohibition? stacking? being a speedy archer?
it is sad that one person can invent rules for the whole community, without polling or so.
Deimheucadh
Novice
Novice

Post by Deimheucadh »

i offer the new rule:
if your name is not Platyna, your are bot and must be banned.
no bots, no stacks, no autofollow, nothing, cool quiet reigning.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

In this forum I can read:
Well, time to set some rules:
1. Do not abuse other players (it means insults, swearing etc. directed to a particular person/s)
2. No bots (and by botting I mean ANY AFK activity in game).
3. No spamming/flooding (including trade spam).
4. No begging.
5. Speak English on public chat.
6. RFC 1855.

These rules may change in the future, so it is worth to take a look on this thread from time to time.

Regards.

• How do you prove that I use an auto-follow feature instead of and auto path for example?
  • I was warned because I leaded a group of players demonstrating to show their disagreement. Is the group leader to be banned if he is autofollowed?
    If yes I am about to make some accounts to have some players I don't like to be banned. ( just an hypothesis, I would never do that even if I hated somebody)
  • Why, once again all players are penalized (/follow was a fun feature, and sometimes useful) because of a few irresponsible players who overuse their rights. (and even they could argue that they compensate the unbalance)
yubabax116 wrote:the rule doesnt compromise with the people such as partys following each other or friends following each other this rule affects everyone even if they are being considerate by having 1 character online and just following their friends.
Yes it does. Again you cannot prove that two chars with same IP same are operated by one people. (BTW I suppose that it is the reason why Prsm was the only one not to be "punished" for sockpuppeting, he didn't use a proxy)

A few reflections now.
The actual rules were sufficient when there were only a few players and with little of them able to cheat on a large scale. They have to be updated now, every one feels it just as you GHP. The best, in my opinion, is that the debate should be started here, in player talk. If most contributors are honest, the result will surely be positive. The worse way to do it is taking decisions one after another without having a global view of actual (unofficial) clients features.
For example some clients offer an automatic healing ability , which destroys the balance you are trying to have between players, as this possibility is not offered to everyone.
Maybe a first solution would be to impose a client to everyone, and simultaneously develop tools to check it has been modified or not. Almost all other RPGs do that (even opensource ones). If so the official client client should be set ManaPlus as official one is lacking elementary abilities, when it works.

Reference : Chapter 2. PlaneShift Player Guide>2.11. Cheating:http://www.planeshift.it/guide/en/guide-cheating.html
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Deimheucadh
Novice
Novice

Post by Deimheucadh »

i think players need more content than more rules.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

People, please realize:

This rule only affects the 1% of the players who have 42% of the characters, drops, xp, etc.

This rule is a reinterpretation of the "no botting" rule that invalidates the previous clarification that only "afk botting" was disallowed. It was never the intention to allow botting of any form, the only question was what sort of rules could be enforced.

This rule was generated with consideration for previous public backlash against the repeal of the "no-multibotting" rule, as well as its weaknesses (the "impossibility" of proving that characters who looked like multibots and acted like multibots were all controlled by the same player - and the fact that it did nothing about collective stack-botting).

Regarding auto-healing when someone else gives the alt-1 emote ... This was discussed and auto-healing is not something we want in our game. However, there was no resolution to the question of how it would be enforced - how do you know it's not just a player with fast reflexes (since ping time varies greatly around the world or even for a single connection) - whereas stack-botting is easily detected. Also, stack-botting is far more harmful to the community at large than auto-healing is - do you have any idea how many people have left the game because of it?

Also, I appreciate the following quote from the planeshift link:
PlaneShift wrote:A player that cheats is considered to disrupt the experience of other good players since he breaks realism and balance. He will not be tolerated in our online community.
Finally, as a player, I would like to say: it's easily possible to fight solo in the graveyard.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

Wow, I love it when people who don't play this game make up rules for it.

This rule only affects the 1% of the players who have 42% of the characters, drops, xp, etc.

OLLC, where did you get those statistics? Do you realize only very few people actually play this game?

I guess OLLC doesn't realize this game has a max of 100 real human players, so saying it only affects 1% would mean it only affects 1.
I think drugs are bad for people and when someone is smoking crack, he shouldn't stay on the internet that day.

What if there are 500 real people who play this game (which is impossible)..that would mean the rule only affects 5 people...are you sure that statistic is right OLLC?

My opinion is that devs should stick to deving and not make rules. They were allowed once to have the @kick command and abused that and now they are trying to abuse players with their stupid rules.
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!