"Player follow" will get you banned

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Re: "Player follow" will get you banned

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Ledmitz wrote:
mistergrey wrote:If the creator made it for a specific reason, and you get it and give it out against their wishes, well I'm not an expert on what that means, but it would certainly be a jerk move heh.
Yes it would, I agree. But others would say that if you make something that is open source, expect it to be requested.. and they would in fact be in the right. If it is open source, you are obliged to share it and it's code and if it was never meant to be public, then it should not have been made.
Not sure where you got this impression from, but the GPL has no such clause. There's nothing about it needing to be made public, and there's nothing about preventing it from being made public.

You might want to read through the [GPL] the manasource project uses, and the associated [FAQ], which amongst other things [specifically covers] the case you mentioned.

The GPL is free in more ways than one; you're even [free], provided you provide the appropriate rights to those you give the software to, to use software covered by it for [commercial purposes], which being forced to make the source publicly available would work against.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Freeyorp101 wrote: The GPL is free in more ways than one; you're even [free], provided you provide the appropriate rights to those you give the software to, to use software covered by it for [commercial purposes], which being forced to make the source publicly available would work against.
Emphasis added. And you can't forbid those who receive the software from publicizing it.

That's not the typical example of commercial GPL software, though; "normally" the source is released, but there is more support for commercial customers, e.g. RedHat vs Fedora.

Another relevant case is GPL software that is interacted-with through a network. There is no requirement to release the source in that case. However, there is the AGPL, which is identical to the GPL, but with an added clause requiring the source to be provided if you use it through a network (and clauses saying you are allowed to combine GPL3 and AGPL3 software).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

salmondine wrote:I just had this awful thought...
I am wondering about evil following, older clients had follow feature for awhile, also.
So some guy creates an account(s) and follows an old enemy to get them banned?
Can this happen?

I fully support the no bot following rule, but I want to know, can malicious following be detected?
Old Mana Clients prior to 0.5 were not accepted by The Mana World as an official client. All versions of official clients never had auto-follow features. I would like to take some credit for bringing this feature to the attention of the makers of the client and they removed it for the very reason that it could be exploited.

In other words, a lot of people are playing with un-official clients. Hopefully the makers of these clients will take this server's position on auto-follow and similar automations into consideration when updating their own clients, as to prevent their users from abusing the server. I would think this is a reasonable request.
Current character is "Abolish".
Kurtz
Peon
Peon

Post by Kurtz »

Could someone summarize the content of this discussion to not more than 3 lines? I do not want to read it all.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

@Freeyorp101 - TY for the links. I will check them out for curiosities sake. I know there are different open source licenses available, but never knew the difference in them.

And again to be clear, I am the devils advocate and I did not use another client other than the original till i was around level 80. I had been saying for the whole game though, how nice it would be to have a "roll bot" *cough* and had kept asking around to see if I could get my hands on one. I tried a few clients and liked trying them so much that I wished there were more. It just made sense to me. A bot only did what I would do anyway... attack the next target. I think I'd be about 20 levels behind if I had to stop and roll one everytime. However on that note, I felt that the bot was more of a cheat than the follow feature. I at least had to latch onto another real player in order to be hands free. But I now know the problem is multi-boxing, which btw you will not get rid of unless you only permit 1 connect per IP. That would suck for the Queen and I as we would not be able to play together anymore. It would suck even more if you were on a shared connection, like say... a condo complex with wireless internet inc.
I also know that no matter my views, this is not my server, but there is a forum for a reason; To comment. I have commented. Do not judge me on that. It may seem I am an enemy to the authorities, but I am just being loyal to the players too. I do wish there could be a client check... this nonsense would end for sure then... but alas.... not possible, as I've been told already. But if you can impose these rules that deny certain functions, I do not see how you cannot deny the clients that use those functions as you are not denying them from setting up their own server and using those clients on it. You would only be saying that they cannot use it on your server, which... sort of is already the case with the rules imposed.
With all that having been said, I love the game, I love the server, I like most of the players and contibutors too, I even agree with the rules to some degree. I just feel the punishment is too harsh. So, is there a bot friendly server out there somewhere? I would still stay here too, but I will miss the GY stacking. It reminded me of a cartoon scrap with all the numbers flying, looking like a violent cloud.
I also have been looking into setting up a server, but IDK if I would even meet the requirements for it. I heard UBF had a lot of content and items that are not here. I would love to get my hands on that one as a starting point if it is relatively bug free. I have a PC with Ubuntu installed upstairs but it has never been used yet. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I have compiled Java code before. I assume it is a similar to that. What is this game written in anyway? I heard it might be C+ ... ?

One more thing; I would like to know an answer other than maybe.....
Will I be banned for using the bot feature? Yes or No? This really needs to be addressed otherwise all of us players are in limbo as to how to proceed with playing the game. Also, if it is banned, I know there are ways to check for other types of automation. The question is... Will anyone ever implement a check on all types of automation? Warriors sure do take a lot of heat on this server and they are the weakest of the bunch, at that. And they are only targeted due to easy detection.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

taree
Peon
Peon

Post by taree »

Kurtz wrote:Could someone summarize the content of this discussion to not more than 3 lines? I do not want to read it all.

no more following
but leveling is boring
the rule never changed
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

Ok, I have a really important question: If i am at the jackO, and i press x (to attack it) and then i go do something else while my char kills it, is that considered botting?. I am not using automation , just the regular client.
I need an answer, please respond fast.
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

DefinitelyNOTMrWho wrote:Ok, I have a really important question: If i am at the jackO, and i press x (to attack it) and then i go do something else while my char kills it, is that considered botting?. I am not using automation , just the regular client.
Yes, because you were not present while fighting the Jack-O. And of course because your forums nickname is "DefinitelyNOTMrWho". And yes, because you ask stupid questions. You may also @wgm yourself wile fighting the Jack-O.
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

i wrote:
DefinitelyNOTMrWho wrote:Ok, I have a really important question: If i am at the jackO, and i press x (to attack it) and then i go do something else while my char kills it, is that considered botting?. I am not using automation , just the regular client.
Yes, because you were not present while fighting the Jack-O. And of course because your forums nickname is "DefinitelyNOTMrWho". And yes, because you ask stupid questions. You may also @wgm yourself wile fighting the Jack-O.
I'm using your god damn client,I do no automation. I don't attack other monsters after the JackO is dead and I don't pick up drops.
If your stupid client lets me do this I see no reason to ban me for it. It's the same as if i was sitting down,was afk and a GM checked me.

Did it crossed your mind how long it takes to kill a freaking Jacko? It takes about 15 min, do you want me to sit 15 min and just look at my char hitting the freaking jackO??? Is that fun? You must be out of your mind.

Again: I am using a feature of your client, no pick ups after target is dead and no attack other targets
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

DefinitelyNOTMrWho wrote:do you want me to sit 15 min and just look at my char hitting the freaking jackO???
YES! Yes! and Yeeees! :)
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Can someone who isn't sniffing glue answer my question?
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

DefinitelyNOTMrWho wrote:Can someone who isn't sniffing glue answer my question?
He is right.... but it is just sooooo wrong... isn't it? But guess what? It's not botting.. it is AFK activity done with the real client. I huff turpentine, myself.
I'm beginning to think the goal of this server is to torture people rather than let them have fun ... 8) but hey some people like to sit like a zombie in front of the screen while they watch the 'miss'es fly around. I don't know how they can do it without weed. I guess that's where the glue and turpentine come in handy, eh?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Ledmitz wrote:
DefinitelyNOTMrWho wrote:Can someone who isn't sniffing glue answer my question?
He is right.... but it is just sooooo wrong... isn't it? But guess what? It's not botting.. it is AFK activity done with the real client. I huff turpentine, myself.
I'm beginning to think the goal of this server is to torture people rather than let them have fun ... 8) but hey some people like to sit like a zombie in front of the screen while they watch the 'miss'es fly around. I don't know how they can do it without weed. I guess that's where the glue and turpentine come in handy, eh?
The coffee or tea is also an option :)
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Any post that has more than 5 sentences has no content.

New rules of TMW:
1. You need to breath in order to gain oxygen.
2. Automated [here list of hundred possible things] is forbidden.
3. I am going to quit my job and my studies in order to write the law that would make most advanced countries in the world blush, and I am going to hire an army of lawyers, just because some people in TMW seems to be too stupid to comprehend "no botting!" rule...
4. ...or those are feeling smart so they think that digging under the rules will let them to do bad things, or unban bad people.

But seriously: ignorantia legis excusat neminem. If you don't know or don't understand rules simple as ten commandments then it is you who is having a problem.