[WIP] New Desert Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: [WIP] New Desert Tileset

Post by Merlin »

I didn't know there was a post about even expelling me. I figured it was just done and not even discussed. I was without internet for awhile and came back and just wasn't in the content dev group anymore. I figured I was removed for inactivity. (Makes me wonder what was said in that thread but I can't read it.) If I am really expelled why ask me to come back ali-g? I know you need the help but it would all be in vain since none of my work would be acceptable. This is also why I just edit existing tmw content and don't actually make anything new. I wasn't trying to be insulting. I was being rather blunt but I can't seem to hammer some points across without being so abrasive.

The shadows on the big tree are most definitely there on my version of those particular trees. Perhaps you got them from the set that was missing them.
I thought you just removed them. I kinda like the shadow on the smaller tree that len added and it's not that big of a deal to have a separate set for the trees as they have now. I might have misunderstood what you meant by the removal of shadow.

I'll finish the tilesets but it's still up to the powers that be if they chose to accept them. Enchilado stated that he's wary of accepting any of my work and even if I finish them there's no way to guarantee that they are truly original or legal edits. (I guess I have no one but myself to blame for this. Hence why I didn't want to go back to doing this.) I'm willing to bury the hatchet and start fresh but I doubt the rest of the TMW Dev community would.

I think one reason why we're all like this is that we are all from different parts of the world. We don't all think the same or similar. Perhaps there some sort of lose of exact meaning when people try to relay points and ideas to each other. This can lead to frustrations and misunderstandings.
Attachments
desert_x5.png
desert_x5.png (12.27 KiB) Viewed 4297 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:MerlinX420 has now repeatedly posted graphics on the graphics development forum which he didn't do himself but stole from different sources. We already explained to him multiple times how serious we treat copyright, but he still doesn't stop to try to sneak stolen graphics into the game content.
That doesn't mean we won't accept any art from you! That only means we need to check if the art you do is actually your own work or if you took (sometimes too much) inspiration of art from other games. I am pretty sure that you can come back to the team if you don't do anymore of that sort of stuff ("stealing" according to Crush). Honestly, I really like that you are working for the project but we have particular rules, especially about art.

I am not an example about being a good developer, I am probably one of the worst kind. I am saying all that stuff to make you realize why you got expelled and being expelled doesn't mean you can't join the team anymore!

Thanks for your efforts, I hope you will continue on that track,
best regards,
Ali-G
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Is anyone currently working on this? If not I would like to take another shot at it...
Len's cliffs would be vastly preferable to these, too:
It would be a very simple matter to make the cliffs appropriate for TMW, seeing as we still have the WIP that was originally done with TMW's pallet.

Also has anyone attempted to use that tileset to see how all the elements work together? I suspect some of it would seem out of place.

Anyways sorry for the necro post :lol:
Pixel Battalion
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

That was exactly what I was working on just right now. Damn Len, thanks a lot! :)
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Feel free to improve anything you want. Red squares are unused tiles, they are opened to any new variations or anything else relevant to the tileset. We will focus on the walls later. The shadows are greatly needed on this tileset. An update of all the sandy tiles is also needed, we need to make them all match together.

@Len: If you feel able replacing the cliff on this tileset by yours, that would be great.
desert.png
desert.png (200.75 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Ali.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Some of those trees, etc. should be moved to x2, x3, x4 ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I prefer keeping them in the same tileset for now.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ali-G wrote:I prefer keeping them in the same tileset for now.
They can not be used for mapping that way. All objects which are larger than one tile must be exported into a separate tileset, so that this tileset can be imported with a different tileheight than the ground tileset.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

D_test1.png
D_test1.png (192.23 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
Played around with the colors, the cliffs should fit in with the rest of the set now (although they still have a few abrupt transitions). I was thinking if we have gone this far, why not animate the palm trees and redo the beach? Also what was the problem with having tree shadows? I never noticed any issue while playing with them (even on the WOA test map in which almost everything casts a shadow).
Pixel Battalion
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

If a tree has a shadow, it has to be a separate mostly-transparent tile, otherwise when the player is behind the tree the shadow will be drawn on top of him.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

@Len: Hey, here is a .zip file containing all the desert tilesets well organised. Could you please replace the cliffs with yours. An update of the sand is highly needed too.
desert.zip
(236.67 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Thanks in advance,
Ali-G
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

o11c wrote:when the player is behind the tree the shadow will be drawn on top of him.
So what is the problem with that? Shadow on player is natural thing. When you are under the tree you are in shadow area.

BTW Len, your help is most welcome (wanted) here :)
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Ali-G wrote:@Len: Hey, here is a .zip file containing all the desert tilesets well organised. Could you please replace the cliffs with yours. An update of the sand is highly needed too.
The attachment desert.zip is no longer available
Thanks in advance,
Ali-G

Should I worry about breaking any maps (seems they would already be messed up by whats already changed)? Also, I'm not seeing the beach tileset in that zip (which needs to be reworked). Some buildings might be in need of color alterations to fit the new sand's style.
meeproar.png
meeproar.png (74.67 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
WIP cave entrance
Pixel Battalion
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

@Len: feel free to do whatever you want about these tilesets but please focus first on the sand and the cliffs, this is crucial. After that, we could maybe have fun on the beach and lastly on the fringe tiles (trees, cactus, rocks, etc...).

Do not fear about the current maps, please forget them. Tulimshar needs to be remade from A to Z, nothing else.

Best regards and good luck,
your help is really welcome here,
Ali-G
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I love it.