Woodland Village (new attempt)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Crush wrote:the architecture looks interesting but it looks so narrow. it would be very uncomfortable to live in a house like that.
Rotonen wrote:Well it is a CONCEPT piece, you don't have to pixellate it 1:1, IMHO.. ;)

I think our pixellation process would be a lot faster if we had more of these conceptual pieces defining stuff for people. *hinthint* :evil:
Exactly :wink:
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

are there any ideas how i could improve the straw texture?

or any ideas what other stuff would be useful for a town tileset?

Edit:
the pole and rock approach (hack job):
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Crush wrote:are there any ideas how i could improve the straw texture?
Hmm no sorry, but maybe you could use a better shading instead of isolated pixels or continuos lines
Crush wrote:or any ideas what other stuff would be useful for a town tileset?
Just take a look at the tilesets you posted, so I'd go for a well and signs first, but of course don't forget doors and windows :wink:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Crush, how about you let that certain piece rest for a while and come back to it after a while to see it from a different point of view..?

In the meanwhile you could be working on other stuff: organizational productivity would be greater this way. Once the number of tiles required for something is locked, you can improve the tiles whenever you feel like it. So a LOT of sketchy tiles and mockup maps at this point would be preferred since the woodland area lacks active conceptual development (or rather that you're the one to drive it forward).
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

a completely different kind of roof inspired by the roof of the wooden house on page 1:
everyone can pixel something that looks tidy and clean, but it takes real skill to make something that looks old and shabby.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

do you like it or not?
  • NOT a game master

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Crush wrote:do you like it or not?
No
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I like the roof, but not the combination with the walls.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I like the roof but more like paviment stones, no kidding :wink:
In general, the stones, the walls and the roof don't combine.
And I still think the stones at the base look very unrealistic and plain.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Iru has set the pixellation standard for stone materials kinda high for us.

Just polish it bit by bit. (And please do expand the village tileset with a lot of stuff in the meanwhile: you seem to need time for your creations to brew.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I think we should start using more colours. I liked the second concept picture on the first post.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Pajarico wrote:And I still think the stones at the base look very unrealistic and plain.
what exactly makes you think so? please think about it for a while. that would really make it easier for me to fix that. thanks.
  • NOT a game master

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Crush wrote:
Pajarico wrote:And I still think the stones at the base look very unrealistic and plain.
what exactly makes you think so? please think about it for a while. that would really make it easier for me to fix that. thanks.
I will try :wink:

I will split my explanation in parts:
- Structure & shape: The stones look to roundish. If the weight of the whole house is intended to rest over them, round stones are a weak structure IMO because they would tend to collapse and scatter because of the weight.
Also, they seem to be piled up in columns, which make the structure even weaker. When doing a brick or stone wall is always a good practice to pile the stones in a way to break the columns pattern.
Now, an important question springs to my mind: the stones are manually picked from the nature and unmechanized? or on the contrary, are cut or sculpted? Either way I present examples of both:
- Those are walls with natural stones piled:
Image Image
- Those are walls with a good mechanization, specially the first is a perfect example of a good ashlar:
Image Image

In brief, you should decide what kind of technic level they can acomplish and correct the shape of individual stones (i.e.: make them less roundish).

- Perspective: If you think of the stones as a cube, you should see at least a bit of the top surface, do you know what I mean? ;)

- Color/Texture: I won't go into details about this point because is of no use to get a worked texture when the shape isnot even decided. I will go into this later.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

New roof sucks, not enough relief between colors. The straw looks great, just don't give it that row pattern (or maybe less of a row pattern).

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i am posting this picture uncommented.
i think i know what the issues are, but i would like to hear it from someone else.
  • NOT a game master