Religious motives in TMW.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

why dont we use a cross?

or even a shield or something but a fat stone man
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Christians in the Mana World? :?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Indeed.

Hallowed is the mana godness.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the mana goddess got crucified, too?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

nah yo Crosses were useually used back then i dunno i gess for a blessing or the crusaders i dunno i can change it if you want i was just showing you guys a example :)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Well I just think we should think about religions, symbols and maybe even languages (either written or spoken). So hardcore players could read messages like "Trespassers will be castrated" engraved in the rockside of a mountainpass in some native language.
About those flags, they should have the country's logo on it... or some family weapon.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:Well I just think we should think about religions, symbols and maybe even languages (either written or spoken). So hardcore players could read messages like "Trespassers will be castrated" engraved in the rockside of a mountainpass in some native language.
About those flags, they should have the country's logo on it... or some family weapon.
I think it would be sufficient to make a new thread about that topic:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?p=12142
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Modanung wrote:Christians in the Mana World? :?
What's wrong with that?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Ultim wrote:
What's wrong with that?
Let's just say that it's not going to go through my filter. End of discussion on this one.

Carry on.
This message used to be meaningful.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ultim wrote:
What's wrong with that?
Well it's too directly copied from the real world. Characters in a fantasy world should have fictional religions and ideals that may be based on the real world, but are no exact copies (like sience, but with mana included and TMW's history). First of all it wouldn't makes sense, as Jesus didn't live in TMW, nor did Muhammed, Budah, Carl Marx or the dinosaurs.
Second; it would be discriminating, as we can't put in all religions that exsist in the real world. Therefor it's better to keep things fictional. Also it would stimulate discrimination as players might dislike certain views of life in the real world. If these would be represented in TMW people might start anti-christ raids... or something like that. There's nothing wrong with anti-fictional-doctrine killings though. :)
Take warcraft for example, the Humans have churches, they prey, they bless and have paladins. Yet they don't have a cross as their symbol, and they don't talk about God but 'the light'. And that makes a big difference.
btw, this belongs in this split off thread... which should maybe be split up: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1266
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

So, by telling everyone that Christianity is not allowed because of what it is and what it implies, we are effectively dodging discrimination. Whew, that was a close one. Let's have freedom of code, graphics, and ideas, but dare not let one artist put an 8x10 pixel CROSS on his artwork. Good thing the Authoritarian of Art is here to intercede! Rotonen, i was under the distinct expression that your job is to ensure prettiness in the graphics, not be a Christian-abhorring bigot! Did you get a promotion?!
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

This is the bright reason why there never should be any known real-life religion in this game, despite the fact almost all religions are about love, respect and wisdom, when the subject comes out there is nothing than hatred and stupidity around.
Robert A. Heinlein wrote: Free speech includes the right not to listen, if not interested.
It has a wider meaning, please think about it.

Regards.