Castle Statue? (My flag design)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Castle Statue? (My flag design)

Post by Tenche »

Can i ask what the hell this is? lol iv been wondering for like 40 weeks now lol
Last edited by Tenche on 14 Feb 2006, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Art defines its own meaning.. :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

or even better this

ImageBACK

ImageFRONT
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

ImageNEW

BETTER?!

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Tenche, since you're eager on creating pixel art: do a lot more.. :twisted:
This message used to be meaningful.
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Tenche wrote:or even better this
ImageBACK

ImageFRONT
The back view looks like the flag is on the stone (which is good) but the front view looks like the flag is behind it (which is bad. [same with the original stone statue]) :?
I love you too. :)
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

nah yo the back vew it a little lower then the front view its like a lip on the front view makeing it look like its behind it :)
khandy
Peon
Peon

Post by khandy »

Tenche wrote:ImageNEW

BETTER?!

I've been wondering why there isn't a seperate layor for the objects.

Right now, the objects are limited in where they can be placed, because they have the "ground" material attached to their lower halves (dirt, grass, etc.).

If they had a transparent background, then you could have a "ground" layor, which was just dirt, grass, etc. Next (additional) layor would be these objects sitting on top of the ground, like pots, stones, wells, signs, tree bases, etc. Then you would have the rest of the current layers on top of that. This would allow using the well, the flag, or the rock in a grassy or snowy plain, as well as the desert they are tied to now.

I'd think an additional layor would make it simpler to generate more interesting maps because it would be easy to "steal" objects from other tilesets in ways the original tileset designer didn't plan for.

...Just curious as to why they are limited this way. Limits on the map editor, the server, the client, etc.?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

khandy wrote:If they had a transparent background, then you could have a "ground" layor, which was just dirt, grass, etc. Next (additional) layor would be these objects sitting on top of the ground, like pots, stones, wells, signs, tree bases, etc.
Yes, I agree. And as you can see if you browse trough the tileset bitmaps in the data\graphics\tiles folder it has been done that way with the fences and objects in most other tilesets. We should be consistent and apply this to all fringe tiles. Shadows these items cast should be transparent black (or dark blue).
I think it dates from when TMW didn't have an alpha layer in the tiles but just one transparency colour (and maybe even less maplayers?). In those days shadows had to be drawn in the same layer as the floor tiles so they were bound to one floor tile anyway.

Going off-topic here, btw.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Heh im very bad at shadeing and shadows... o well ill practice alot more are there sertain tutorials you guys recommend?