[FND] Pools

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

[FND] Pools

Post by Dark_Mag »

Ali-G,

Here's cronzenite xml file and pool pic.
I hope we'll get result after updating it Ali. :)

Cheers, dark
Attachments
pool-crozenite.xml
Particle
(329 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times
Img
Img
pool_65x27-ch.particle.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Last edited by Dark_Mag on 19 Oct 2011, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Pools

Post by Crush »

This looks more like an application for animated tiles to me.

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ated_tiles
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

The blood pools in the crypt are currently particle effects. Keeping that system wouldn't harm imho.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Right. When I saw those pools for the first time I already wondered why the heck you did the surface as a particle effect instead of just using animated tiles for the whole basin.

Animated tiles is a really awesome feature of the Mana client which is grossly underused in TMW.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:Animated tiles is a really awesome feature of the Mana client which is grossly underused in TMW.
Maybe it is awesome and for sure they aren't used a lot, that is because we don't necessarely want/have the time to learn how to do that.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It's really easy. To make a tile animated, just create a tileset with all the animation phases. Then you go into the tile properties of the tile you want to be animated, and describe which tile from the animation tileset is showed for how long in its place as described in the wiki article above.

When you need a real example for it: Map 012-3 has one (the drops on the walls).
  • NOT a game master

Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Crush wrote:It's really easy. To make a tile animated, just create a tileset with all the animation phases. Then you go into the tile properties of the tile you want to be animated, and describe which tile from the animation tileset is showed for how long in its place as described in the wiki article above.

When you need a real example for it: Map 012-3 has one (the drops on the walls).
Crush,

What's about changing colors of the image in this system?

Cheers, dark
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Technically it's possible to use recolored tilesets by editing the .tmx file with a text editor and adding the recoloring code behind the filename. You can add recolorisation codes to every image filename the mana client loads. Unfortunately Tiled can't handle images it can't find (at least it couldn't when I used it the last time, and that was quite a while ago).

Yes, I admit it is impractical to use tilesets with colorization.
  • NOT a game master

skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [FND] Pools

Post by skipy »

this is the blood pool i did with no color....if this is how water could look there is a bigger pool to use here-----> http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=135 <--this can be made in to a sheet if needed.

where water meat land is what we don't have.

-----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Crush wrote:This looks more like an application for animated tiles to me.

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ated_tiles
nice!! thanks for the link ..particle effects have there place and use.....but with animated tiles, maps can come to life. imo..
can it be done on large parts of the map. like open water or rivers. or is it not worth the work to animate large parts of the map? :? :)

----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

skipy wrote:can it be done on large parts of the map. like open water or rivers. or is it not worth the work to animate large parts of the map? :? :)
That's exactly the use-case I developed that feature for. Even when you use animations for every single tile, it has practically no impact on performance.

When you need to talk to someone with experience, ask Len. He used animated water excessively on his test map for Whispers of Avalon.
  • NOT a game master

skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [FND] Pools

Post by skipy »

nice! ill look in to what Len has and see what can be done.
---skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido