manaworld zip package 007e

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
bay
Peon
Peon

manaworld zip package 007e

Post by bay »

1) it seems Config.exe is bound to alleg40 while The Mana World.exe isbound to alleg41. alleg41 is distributed with your zip package, alleg40 is not. perhaps a recompile to properly set your dependencies on Config.exe is in order?

2) logins on either server you have listed will not accept bay_M as a beginning user, making my name longer via baytest_M works. i'm not sure if this is a server or a client issue, i was going to check out the code to see if i could find the problem.

3) when right clicking on grandma on either server, i keep getting the message from her over and over, not always the same amount of times either. other characters don't appear to do this.

4) it seems animesites has a faster link and thus the game works faster, this would normally be good enough, however on elven's server the link is slow and everything on the client blocks while waiting for data. again, i've not looked at code, but the gui and the user experience should not be effected by blocking socket calls. threads may be in order to avoid this, that or using select to indicate the readiness of a socket.

5) when going to another window the music chops while trying to play. this of course is a bad experience. might i suggest silencing the audio when focus is taken off the window, since that's probably the right thing to do in any case.

.02$
krismichael
Novice
Novice

Post by krismichael »

bay_M is not a valid username because usernames have to be at least 4 characters in length.

As for the other stuff, I guess you'll have to wait for a reply from one of the programmers. I just make art stuff. :)
It's not my fault I'm new here! :)
bay
Peon
Peon

Post by bay »

krismichael wrote:bay_M is not a valid username because usernames have to be at least 4 characters in length.

as for the other stuff, I guess you'll have to wait for a reply from one of the programmers. I just make art stuff. :)
well that would make sense for that, naturally. it comes back as "Unregistered ID", seems that this would be from the server sending back the packet. as indicated in login.cpp:125

fair enough.

.02$
bay
Peon
Peon

Post by bay »

i'll make note that in the README.txt the version number is indicating 007d and not 007e, along with no updates in the version history for 007e.

also, since this is a common occurance, the README.txt could indicate that usernames must be 4 characters or longer. there is already a section for new user creation, and this isn't brought to attention.

.02$
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

1) The problem is I didn't recompile the config utility after switching TMW to allegro 4.1. Anyway I removed it from the CVS now since I want to add a configuration dialog inside the game.

2) As many others already said, it's a server issue. You should use more than 3 characters. I think I'll add an error message stating that in the future versions.

3) Strange, I'll check it immediately

4) Eheh animesites.de has a 100Mbit connection, mine is a home connection and my computer it's busy and slow. Remeber it's only a test server :wink: At the moment we're using select to check if a socket it's readable/writable but not when connecting, that's why the gui blocks...if you want to help with that.... :oops:

5) Good suggestion, I'll fix it as soon as I can.
Shura
Novice
Novice

Re: manaworld zip package 007e

Post by Shura »

bay wrote:1) it seems Config.exe is bound to alleg40 while The Mana World.exe isbound to alleg41. alleg41 is distributed with your zip package, alleg40 is not. perhaps a recompile to properly set your dependencies on Config.exe is in order?
the configurator has been removed from the repository a while ago. it will probably not be in the archive again until we rewritten it from sratch. that'll not happen to be very soon i guess.
bay wrote:2) logins on either server you have listed will not accept bay_M as a beginning user, making my name longer via baytest_M works. i'm not sure if this is a server or a client issue, i was going to check out the code to see if i could find the problem.
thx, i will make a note in the readme about a minimum of 4 chars for the username.
bay wrote:3) when right clicking on grandma on either server, i keep getting the message from her over and over, not always the same amount of times either. other characters don't appear to do this.
right now the range on the screen that triggers a npc-dialog onclick is pretty limited right now. guess we will sooner or later fix this.
bay wrote:4) it seems animesites has a faster link and thus the game works faster, this would normally be good enough, however on elven's server the link is slow and everything on the client blocks while waiting for data. again, i've not looked at code, but the gui and the user experience should not be effected by blocking socket calls. threads may be in order to avoid this, that or using select to indicate the readiness of a socket.
this matter is not new either. elven went through qute a lot when trying to get the network core running. the system has proven to be very stable now all it needs is a bit of performance oriented optimization. :wink:
bay wrote:5) when going to another window the music chops while trying to play. this of course is a bad experience. might i suggest silencing the audio when focus is taken off the window, since that's probably the right thing to do in any case.
the problem here is that the audio system currently is not notified by the event of loosing focus. expect that to be fixed in 0.0.8. :roll:
bay wrote:.02$
err, whats that? :lol:
Don't argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
bay
Peon
Peon

Re: manaworld zip package 007e

Post by bay »

kth5 wrote:
bay wrote:.02$
err, whats that? :lol:
"my two cents" :D

.02$
bay
Peon
Peon

Post by bay »

Elven Programmer wrote: 4) Eheh animesites.de has a 100Mbit connection, mine is a home connection and my computer it's busy and slow. Remeber it's only a test server :wink: At the moment we're using select to check if a socket it's readable/writable but not when connecting, that's why the gui blocks...if you want to help with that.... :oops:
i'll look into the code some, i saw some net discussion in another forum, i agree that rolling your own is a good idea in this regard, you are trying to maintain a porting system to many os's.

i've written alot of networking code, perhaps i can look at your net code and make it into a nice shiny net library for reuse. who knows. :shock:

.02$