Recent server updates.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Recent server updates.

Post by Platyna »

Here is a thread to discuss February 19-20 server updates. I would like to get your feedback before going further.

Regards.
Last edited by Platyna on 21 Feb 2006, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.
JokerzWife
Peon
Peon

The changes

Post by JokerzWife »

I love the game. I got a lot of friends to join the game and we all got addicted. I like the new changes. I just wish some of the other players had a little more respect for their fellow players. However, I don't like the fact that now NO monsters give you over 200 + points. It was hard enough with everyone going after mushrooms at the same time to get a level. I was still killing all day, and I mean ALL day. LOL ok Enough bitching from me :D keep up the good work ya'll 8)
JokerzWife
Peon
Peon

lol

Post by JokerzWife »

Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

For monsters stats details see here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _reference as you can see there are quite a few monsters which gives 200+ exp.

Regards.
Bian Marshall
Peon
Peon

Post by Bian Marshall »

Before everything, I'm a brazilian, so pardon for my poor english

I play this game for some weeks, anda I liked it a lot. But I didin't like some of the new changes.

I guess some of the monsters are too hard to kill for beginners. Killing that white little worms all day long is boring.

And the medium leveled monster are evading 60% of our attacks. I'm level 26, I know some 31 lvl guys who can't even
kill 2 green slimes in a row.

The new exp fixes are good, but the game got a little repetitive by just killing the same monsters, since the gap of power between then are too high.

And the exp whe need to level up are too high at higher levels.

Also, the prices of weapons are a little bitter, and the variety is poor.

This is my opinion

Keep up the good work
BR Player
JokerzWife
Peon
Peon

ok last one for today

Post by JokerzWife »

I forgot to mention. Sometimes when you attack something .... it says you miss ... every shot is a miss ... but yet it dies... I don't know if that is what ya'll intended but Just thought I would mention it. I don't mind having to fight for my points. I love beer. I agree with the last comment. I does get boring. But hang in there. Make friends and get addicted lol. My husband and I were wondering when they would add a new weapon?
haha ok last time i chime in ... maybe hehe :wink:
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Actually now every 10 levels you should be able to kill a new creature. So, go and see the link I posted above to find a creature suitable for your level.

Regards.
Bian Marshall
Peon
Peon

Post by Bian Marshall »

Yeah, I saw the link. But think with me, if you are at level 30, you'll spend a lot of time, I mean a LOT of, to kill the same kind of monster. Some of the players will give up of the game, because there will be more nothing to do... I know the game is under development, but I think that is too much harder for beginners (I mean, level 1 to 40).

Sorry, but is my opinion
BR Player
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

yeah i dont play as much anymore i wish the XP rate was higher mabby 700+ xp from snakes and a little more from black scorpions to kinda even out the 30+ leveling like its super easy to level intill 30
i dunno just a thought
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

You are killing one monster by every 10 levels, you may also get a bow and kill monsters beyond your level, but then you need money for arrows, you may gain these money by selling loot, also consider other attributes not only strenght such like vitality or luck and the fact now fire goblin gives alot better experience than green slime used to.

Tenche, I am thinking how to please high level players and balance the game, so it will be interesting for everyone. Anyway I would rather do it by new, better items and quests. Actually I know the people who could get from 0 to level 50 in a week and then they were complaining the game is boring - it is plain wrong.

Regards.
JokerzWife
Peon
Peon

ok

Post by JokerzWife »

Thats great and all for the leveling .... but I have to say something... there are a lot of us that are level 50 or higher. I am level 70 for example. Maybe we got used to killing the mushrooms cuz they gave us 420 exp. But it would be great if they where just as easy to kill but gave us more points ... or a few more monsters that give you a larger amount of exp. I know it seems I am complaining but really I am not. I guess what we are asking for is monsters that aren't extremely hard to kill that give you a lot of exp.... I liked the 700 exp suggestion LOL. example... the snakes ... at the moment they give you 300 exp instead of the 400 as before. Now they are harder to kill and well they don't give us as much exp as before. I am sure ya'll consider that a challenge, but we do spend all day trying to get exp. I don't know. Oh well... its ya'lls game... I just play it lmao.
Bian Marshall
Peon
Peon

Post by Bian Marshall »

A game balance is really important, for low and high level players. I agree that new quests, monsters and itens are necessary. But this needs to be done fast. I know is easy to talk, but this is the reality
BR Player
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We really would like to put a lot more monsters into the game. But the problem is that we got all monster in the game we got the graphics for.

In order to get more monsters we need more volunteers who make the monster sprites. So when you want more monsters you should either become pixel artists yourself or convince pixel artists you know to contribute to the mana world.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
queer_boi
Peon
Peon

Post by queer_boi »

Yea I think this is become an unfair advantage for all players. The exp recieved, the amount of times we get hit and miss, it is one thing to cut down and slow progress, and yea I agree it was getting too easy for me to kill the mosters, but now I get less for more effort, and like all of us are probably thinking, how much patience do we have. I really think opening up new caves in the desert, providing new weapons, if you have to use the same graphic but rename them till you can patch them later would be great with new graphics. There need to be something if the challenge is going to get harder to form allainces to make it passable. Such as a dragon at the bottom on one of the caves when defeated you gain a sword (use the old graphic and rename it to something else, maybe confusing at first but it would increase the people wanting to play; instead of giving up. I have been playing solid for 2 months and I think I am going to take a break for awhile from the game. If you want to consult with me, I got some ideas.

Oh btw I am a programmer to, not much into gaming since QBASIC, back in the days for my graphic caculator, but I did change out the .ogg files with other music I took from another game Lunar The Silver Star, converted the MIDI audio and then changed the name to exactly what it was, since this is open source I can do what I want. I do love that, but being open source does that allow me to develop maps, and if so how? I think I would enjoy doing that much more so now, and then work with others on other stuff using old graphic maps. Please AIM me: Nickdog5905

Nick
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

of course you can make some maps for tmw. we are an open developer community. everyone who feels like contributing anything to the project is invited to do so. But please be aware that we got quality standards. we won't put everything into the official release. But when you show us something that doesn't meet our standards we won't laugh at you and send you away. we will do our best to help you to improve your work until it is good enough.

i started a mapping tutorial on the wiki. it isn't completed yet, but i will continue to write in the afternoon:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial

you can find the official mapping guidelines on the wiki, too:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Map_development

By the way: when you want to help the project but you don't know how, you should come to the irc channel and talk with the developers about what skills you got and how you could use them to make the mana world grow. A detailed description how to join our irc channel can be found here:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=747
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.