i have an answer to ur death penalty

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

LeoStrife
Peon
Peon

i have an answer to ur death penalty

Post by LeoStrife »

it looks like u guys will soon develop a bank system... when u die how about half or 1/4 of the gold u have is lost upon death.... seems suitable too me like a hospital fee

shoot my comp class is over :cry: ill read ur replies when i get home
come and visit me peeps at:
http://www.myspace.com/LeoStrife
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Well even though im sure we will have a bank system i dont think taking the players money is a good idea for a death penalty. We will probly do the original EXP loss or maybe no death penalty at all.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

now now, we cant have none at all, that would create abuse like crazy :o

now what i had in plan is... when oyu die, ur character drops a random item from ur inventory that isnt equipment or quest item, so mostly useless stuff. But its still a loss :o
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

As long as there is no deleveling I'm happy. :D
I love you too. :)
Rarara
Peon
Peon

Post by Rarara »

How about making the penalty for death to be ressurected in town with 1% of your total hp? And making the guard stop anyone with less than 50% hp from leaving town by saying "you're too weak for the monsters". That way, people would avoid dying because they'd be forced to wait until their hp come back to continue playing.

Plus if there is a pay-for-healing temple/shrine next to the town's exit, then people could exchange their time-constraint penalty for a monetary penalty if they felt like continuing playing right now instead of waiting around and chatting.
LeoStrife
Peon
Peon

Post by LeoStrife »

i must say Rarara good to see ya again... but back to the topic i think u have sumthin there thats a nice ideal way to go about it
come and visit me peeps at:
http://www.myspace.com/LeoStrife
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yeah Rarara idea seems interesting, we should think about it :roll:
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

If there's something I hate... it's in-game waiting.
Also I think this will cause people whining and begging paladins/cleriks/mages (healers) to heal them, which is pretty irritating.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well in Ragnarok Online all the people where asking for a heal, and that was pretty annoying, but I think ghosts could be revived only by those ones who have the proper skill so maybe it's hard to find the right person to address and maybe people will get bored of going around asking for a revive when they can return to a town and get back to life...
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Modanung wrote:If there's something I hate... it's in-game waiting.
so? me too - but that only makes forced waiting as a penalty look like a better idea. i dont like the idea of not being able to leave town, but how about a "waiting period" before you can respawn, like max.hp/3 in seconds (thus not punishing the weak ones as much as the stronger ones, who should've learned better by then)
Scooterman
Peon
Peon

Post by Scooterman »

worst than in-game waiting is in-game begging :).
WellDone
Peon
Peon

Death Penalty

Post by WellDone »

What about letting everyone choose for theirselves wheter they want it hard or not.
The Dev Team could set up a dificulty randomizing window for each new character and everyone can choose for thyself :!:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

that's a bad idea for an online game. in a multiplayer game noone should have penalties others haven't.

death penaltys are a very sensitive topic. it is very difficult to find the right balance between encouraging the players to avoid dying and not to frustrate players by too harsh death penalties.

here are some examples how other games deal with death penalties:

-Exp loss that is minor at low levels but becomes severe at high levels
-Loss of money
-Loss of items (can be very frustrating when losing a very important or expensive item. see runescape, for example)
-Humiliation (keeping a public statistic of who died how often)
-Spawn sickness (temporary stat penalty after revive)
-Dislocating the player to somewhere far away from high level areas.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Draicone
Peon
Peon

Post by Draicone »

Well, penalties should involve ending up back where you started (most likely the current spawn point), which works perfectly well since it's a little out of the way for most people, and it would take you a while to get back to where you were before you died, the easiest way to enforce a penalty without damaging stats etc.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

No dont be stuped if there is items lost or gold taken it will cause problems look at runescape people get so attached then go out into the wilderness and die and lose all there items... its total crap intill the game gets a little easyer then we dont have to worrie about it.. Snakes do 150+ damage and at 35 u have 260 HP is u dont spend to much points on Vitality... If you get hit twice you die plus monsters are to hard to target... its just not a good idea