TEST: New smileys

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

TEST: New smileys

Post by Jenalya »

Ali-G prepared some commits to add the smileys used in manaplus and some additional ones to the game data, so they can also be used by mana client users. :) I just put those on the testserver.
Please test them and comment here.

As far as I understood, the commits rely on a change/fix in the mana client, that were done in 0.6.1, so if you use a different client version, the last smiley might not work.
I suggest to test in teams, to check if the smileys are correctly displayed for other players when you do them.
Please comment also on the duration and shape of the smiley animation.
baedamichi
Novice
Novice

Re: TEST: New smileys

Post by baedamichi »

Jenalya wrote:As far as I understood, the commits rely on a change/fix in the mana client, that were done in 0.6.1, so if you use a different client version, the last smiley might not work.
Yep, it didn't in 0.6.0... A stupid question: Where do I get 0.6.1?!? On the download page, the Windows-Version available is still 0.6.0... Also couldn't find a download link on the forums...
Jenalya wrote:I suggest to test in teams, to check if the smileys are correctly displayed for other players when you do them.
I did, and the smileys worked just fine (except for the last one, of course). I saw them in my client and the other player saw them in his (both using the official client). It's a different story when somebody uses Manaplus, but that's a different matter.
Jenalya wrote:Please comment also on the duration and shape of the smiley animation.
That's a difficult question for testing, this is rather a matter of taste. So all that's left is for as many people as possible to share their personal opinion. I'll start: :mrgreen:
I like both the shape and the duration, in my opinion it can be left just as is.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

baedamichi wrote:ep, it didn't in 0.6.0... A stupid question: Where do I get 0.6.1?!? On the download page, the Windows-Version available is still 0.6.0... Also couldn't find a download link on the forums...
You can find the 0.6.1 version here: http://manasource.org/downloads already, I'm going to talk to the mana developers to put it also on the tmw downloads page.
baedamichi wrote:I did, and the smileys worked just fine (except for the last one, of course). I saw them in my client and the other player saw them in his (both using the official client). It's a different story when somebody uses Manaplus, but that's a different matter.
Right, manaplus uses a bit different approach to the smileys and I'm talking with 4144 to see if we can get the mana and manaplus smileys compatible, but it's a bit difficult .

Thanks for the testing so far. :)
Whistler
Peon
Peon

Post by Whistler »

Hi,
tested with 2 clients from Debian, one from sid repos ( arm, 0.6.1 2 april 2012),
and a pulled compiled recent version on x86.
the smiley display time, compare to the one on the main server, seems
a little slow maybe, but better, they display fine to other player.
Typing fast alt 1 2 3 ... to display smiley, makes them overlap,
not reproducible on the main, a part from that the animation looks great.
A player casting #joyplim makes the animation overlap in a loop, too.
On a side note the F12 window and the little smiley "icon" are not displaying the same
numbers of smileys.
Great work, thank you.
Attachments
Mana_Screenshot_3.png
Mana_Screenshot_3.png (190.41 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
http://themanaworld.net/ a well known host for real players.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

baedamichi wrote:Where do I get 0.6.1?!? On the download page, the Windows-Version available is still 0.6.0... Also couldn't find a download link on the forums...
I have the appropriate permissions for this, but 1. haven't ever done a windows build, and 2. am really busy.

Nag bjorn.

Also, the page should probably note that we no longer offer combined source builds; if you build from source you have to add the branding manually.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Several fixes were done to some smileys (format + names). We would like some testers to check if they are all fine.

Thanks in advance,
Alige
Whistler
Peon
Peon

Post by Whistler »

Hi, overall it's looking very fine, each smiley displays in the
same way. The animation is just as it should, the fade out
is perfect, one last thing maybe to precise, there is a little
delay between the action and the start of the animation.
This work makes this client version stand out.
Thank you.
http://themanaworld.net/ a well known host for real players.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Whistler wrote:there is a little delay between the action and the start of the animation.
I think that this is the delay between the moment when you press the emote key and when the information is sent to the client, then the emote will appear. I cannot fix that.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback, it has been really helpful.
Best regards,
-- Alige