Projectile Weapons and clothing!

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

kotodama
Peon
Peon

Projectile Weapons and clothing!

Post by kotodama »

Um...hi! I'm kinda new, and i'm not sure if i'm supposed to post this here yet. XD A few months ago, my friend told me this game needed some sprite artists, so I tried making some stuff. This was the first time I made sprites from scratch so forgive me if they're not that good. (I usually just do sprite edits)

Projectile Weapon Icons:

Shuriken

Throwing Daggers

Dart

Santa Hat (Yea, the season is over... but i made these in December D:)

Female Kimono Clothing (I noticed all the poor base sprites are naked T_T):

Walking (Front View)

Walking (Back View)

Punching

I still have have to do the sitting and the side views for the kimono sprite... Should I continue them? (I noticed the poor sprites don't have hair either, maybe I should make some for them. XD;) Well that's it for now, tell me what you think. :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

your enthusiasm is well appreciated. we will need a lot of cloth sprites in the near future and the art team could really use some more skilled artist for this. and your work samples look quite promising to me. i think that you would be a valuable addition to the art dev team.

but it is a little bit early to start with the work at the clothes because the spriteset isn't finished and there aren't any technical specifications for the equipment sets yet. i am eager to create some cloth sprites, too. but although i am usually one of the people who tend to rush everything i would suggest to wait for a couple of weeks. everything we do now could turn out to be wasted time and energy.
Last edited by Crush on 24 Feb 2006, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
kotodama
Peon
Peon

Post by kotodama »

Any suggestions on anything to work on? If not, i'll just keep an eye out. Thanks! :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

About the hairsets, there's only one missing but I hope Kinetic is working on it. If you want to work on another one feel free to, they will never be too much, but you should take a look at the ones we have before going on in order to keep the same style.

About the player being naked, don't worry, we first want to complete the set then we will add pants, and later in the next version visible equipments. I see you're working on equipments, just keep in mind you're using an older verion of the spriteset, in fact the punching animation is still weird.

The kimono looks kinda nice except for a too evident gradient shading and I'd make it longer (just my personal taste).

The weapons looks amazing, nothing to say on them, except maybe the shuriken which could use a better antialiasing (but maybe it's only because the gif format was used?)

If you enjoyed making equipments for The Mana World and want to continue I'd suggest:
  • start using the png format :P
  • get in touch with our artists irc channel ( #tmwart @ irc.freenode.net ) or if unable to, contact me directly on mmsn, aim, icq, jabber or gtalk.
If you need something to work on, I'd suggest you to complete the Santa's hat sprites (the south one is still missing and don't care about diagonal one, they're not anymore needed). Next you could start working on the other hats. This kind of equipments will be included in 0.0.20 for sure.

Regards.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

holy freaking crap thats so hot man awsome work
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Wow, those are pretty good!
Keep practicing and you will become awesome at spriting! :)

Oh, and about the hair:
Yes, I already made hairstyles a few months ago and am working on a new one at this very moment. I should be done before the end of today.

You can checkout my thread with the hairstyles here:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=635
(Keep in mind there are 7 pages)

Nice job! :wink:
I love you too. :)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Welcome, if you know any other pixel artists, drag them along with you as well.. :twisted:

Anyway, if you want to concentrate on equipment and such, you should stay closely in touch with Platyna. (She is managing the content now and we need that kind of content for the next release. And even more in the future.)
This message used to be meaningful.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Is it just me or does the punching animation look like hes dancing?

but good work man
kotodama
Peon
Peon

Post by kotodama »

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'd be more than happy to continue contributing! ^_^
ElvenProgrammer wrote: If you need something to work on, I'd suggest you to complete the Santa's hat sprites (the south one is still missing and don't care about diagonal one, they're not anymore needed). Next you could start working on the other hats. This kind of equipments will be included in 0.0.20 for sure.

Regards.
I'll finish the Santa Hats. Kinetic, the hair looks great! Should I take in account of the hair while finishing the hats? We don't want the hair come out of the hat now. XD
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

HaLLanHype wrote:Is it just me or does the punching animation look like hes dancing?
It did and that's why I drew new frames. The leg needs some work though.
Please don't comment on it here as I don't want to hijack Kotodana's thread.

And for Kotodana...
I'm no fan of kimonos at all, and huge ribons make me sick. But nice work anyway. :)
The weapons look pretty neat.

One thing though. The hat and the kimono are both very smooth, they have no texture at all. This could be improved.
Also the sleves of the Kimono don't change in brightness as they move. They should be lit just like the arm beneath it. Light when front dark when back.
Oh and one last thing. The Prince Albert part (below the ribon) of the kimono has this light spot that swaps space once in a while. In six frames it only has two variations; left and right. There is no transition between the too. Point to be improved as well.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
carmen123
Newly Registered User

Re: Projectile Weapons and clothing!

Post by carmen123 »

Hi i am looking for pictures but i can't access your images in first post... :roll:
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Projectile Weapons and clothing!

Post by Alige »

5 years passed since the first post appeared... I don't think your request will give something but I would be happy to have these images too myself.

Regards