name change

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

haggard
Novice
Novice

name change

Post by haggard »

not sure if this has yet been suggested but i think that you should have an option in which you can change your name, in the time and age of guilds and such. just a suggestion that way we wouldnt have to completly start all over just for a new name
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

:\ well yeah its a good idea like have your name

Tenche-MUG- for your guild thats good idea

But it might lead to abuse so mabby 1 name change every month or 2 months
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I'm against it.

@Tenche:
Only evil brazil rabbit n00bs put their guild in the charname. I think there'll be nice character info screen who displays the guild and more stuff.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

namechanges allow to behave like a jerk until the whole server hates you and then you change your identity and noone will recognise you anymore.
when there are namechanges there should be precautions to make abuse as difficult as possible.

there could be for example a history of all past names on the public character info screen. The character info screen could read something like "NAME: [ABC]Crush formally known as [guildless]Crush, (XYZ)Crush, Crush, Clueless_n00b"

a search for one of the old names somewhere should return the character with the new name.
Last edited by Crush on 28 Feb 2006, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

No name changes, Crush's reasons.

Why not have a name and a 'tag'?
Like name: Modanung; tag: -<(PWND)>-
And it would display like "Modanung -<(PWND)>-"
Maybe the tag should be a different colour.

Both name and tag should have a max. number of characters.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Ok ok sorry fine im against it
haggard
Novice
Novice

i like the tag

Post by haggard »

i like the tag idea that would be pretty cool
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Tags, bah... Useless 99% of the time, they only disturb the immersion (well, what little immersion there is on a 2D, comic-styled game, anyways). But as long you could disable tag display, I'd be all for the "separate name/tag" idea.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ktm wrote:But as long you could disable tag display, I'd be all for the "separate name/tag" idea.
I agree it should be hideable. And the number of characters should be limited.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
knivey
Novice
Novice

another idea

Post by knivey »

You could have it so they keep the same username from when they registered but they can change the nickname while they play and give other users a way of seeing the username so they have a way of keeping track of who is who and let people claim ownership of a nickname so noone else can use it and reserve nicks that match clan tags only for clan members. It would also be nice to have like a friends list so the server would notify you if one of your friends is/comes online. Kinda like an IRC with NickServ but its just a suggestion ^_^
All your base are belong to us.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Re: another idea

Post by ktm »

knivey wrote:[Wall of text]
Woah! Interpunction is your friend, pal :?

I don't think the nick should be changeable, save for special cases, where it'd be done manually by a mod/admin. But once there's the functionality to add multiple characters to a single account, it might come in useful if you'd be able to see which player they're owned by, e.g. as not to get ripped off twice by the same player in different characters.