Hello, liked to share recent tile work. (Sommerlost)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Sommerlost
Peon
Peon

Hello, liked to share recent tile work. (Sommerlost)

Post by Sommerlost »

Hello everyone, over the past two weeks, I've gotten to bug again to dabble in amature game design... as I swore I wouldn't touch it ever again... for the 3rd time now. I ran a little test server with the Eclipse engine, it's nice but very lacking. Some how I stumbled across TMW, it didn't come up easily when googling, but I was very surprised by the support for an open source game and all the wiki documentation.

I guess after reading enough, I figured at some point I'd download the software try to run a server on my own machine and slowly watch the updates, but the openess of the community is so cool it makes you want to get involved. Any who I've spent the past four days working on a color pallet and the start of some outside tiles I mocked up what I have so far in photoshop cause I just wanted to share with some one who would give a flip, I don't think anyone in my personal life would. So here it is:

BTW - Love the upcoming sprites you guys have design, f***ing steller!

I've been wanting to go it alone, but I played the game today for a few hours and had a blast, it maybe simplistic as of now now, but I love pixel games! Like I said before I haven't worked on any games in years the last pixel work I did was this:

So any ways I just wanted to share, say hi, and great job! I'd actually love to contribute tile art, but I'm not sure of the status of art direction and specification to keep it all looking the same. I surely don't want to step on any toes. But just drop me a line if any thing might work out.

- Matt
http://www.sommerlost.com

http://www.thesituation.us
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We're still early on in the development phases and experimenting with things. In my view different areas should be really different. Building smooth transitions between them is going to be a real challenge. (And most things you see now aren't final.)

Nevertheless welcome, pixel artists are always very much appreciated. It seems you have quite a lot of experience and hence you can contribute a lot to our project (both in actual pieces of work and by the knowhow and tutoring you can provide).

Unfortunately at the moment our conceptual development has been rather slow so you'll have to improvise on stuff (which can lead into redundant work at worst). Also I don't think you'd be stepping on any toes by improving any work in progress (or old work for that matter) here due to the community effort we've developed here.

As for what you could contribute to: I'd give priority to the desert area pixellation, especially the city. Consult Pajarico (and the wiki, which you've already done) for that one.

Hanging out on our IRC channels also helps communication with people.
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Very nice work indeed, we'd really appreciate if you join us so as Rotonen said if you're willing to contribute please join our irc channel: #tmwart @ irc.freenode.net
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

W00t, hallowed are the ori!

-Matt
Sommerlost
Peon
Peon

Awesome.

Post by Sommerlost »

Excellent, I'd be glad to help.

Rotonen, I could easily switch gears and begin working on a desert tile set, I dunno if there is anything specific that you want, or is needed.

Lemme see if I can dig up some kind irc java client or something low key I can use at work since I spend 8-5 on the internet (central time) at work. So I can talk to some of the other developers and get in sync.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and helping out when I can.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

we already got a very nice tilesets for the desert itself. But it still got some gaps and irucard doesn't seems to work on it anymore. You could complete that tileset with some new stuff when you feel like it:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=917

but what we could really need are some new tiles for the desert city.
See this thread:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1182
and this:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=969
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.