Land of Fire TMW is online!

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Land of Fire TMW is online!

Post by Alige »

Len wrote:Sure it would be a nice if you fixed it up, but the cost of doing so is so much more than its worth and you would just be better off starting from scratch. :wink:
+1
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Len wrote:TMW's problem is more like this Image
Sure it would be a nice if you fixed it up, but the cost of doing so is so much more than its worth and you would just be better off starting from scratch. :wink:
Unfortunately you got the point.
Pihro
Peon
Peon

Post by Pihro »

I get the point that people do not have faith in others, yes I may be one person doing a seemingly impossible task, but I believe in a game that more should be able to enjoy.

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =5&t=16012

here is an example of what I am doing.
I find a sense of injustice and imbalance in the main TMW server, so I am doing what i can to make this server different, and its an easy for players to suggest changes. Someone says: that mob is too easy. Within 10 mins i have made it more difficult in the db. Also, it saddens me how much people are starved for new content. I can write 3 npcs in an hour that have various and or connected quests, the main TMW server takes a while to add anything, when people come here, there can be new content and quests almost daily, as well as items that i have collected from various servers.
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

New Lava Mines map, underground.
Attachments
somber_cave_1.png
somber_cave_1.png (232.67 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
THE POWER OF CREATION LIES WITHIN
KeeKee
Peon
Peon

Post by KeeKee »

Wow! I love it, Solo! Great job!!
I can't wait to walk on it and fight the new mobs there! :lol:
Land Of Fire http://landoffire.org

Winter Wonderland is here! Come and enjoy the snow!

Look for us on Mana Plus server list.
Mana Plus is the official client of LoF.
Dingoduck

Post by Dingoduck »

Cool Looking Map...Maybe some Lava Mobs or fire dragons... thx

can't wait to play it.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Hey solo, long time no see. Always been a fan of your maps. Looks lovely :)

-BBB
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Solo wrote:New Lava Mines map, underground.
Er, it doesn't make sense to have lava in the middle of those columns.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

After all of these years, every new cave still use the same tileset...
o11c wrote:
Solo wrote:New Lava Mines map, underground.
Er, it doesn't make sense to have lava in the middle of those columns.
Creativity!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.
o11c wrote:Er, it doesn't make sense to have lava in the middle of those columns.]
There are no columns, you're walking above the lava, those are actually re-designed cave entrances, below where the players will be walking. Look closer. ;)
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Solo wrote:Thank you everyone for the kind comments.
o11c wrote:Er, it doesn't make sense to have lava in the middle of those columns.]
There are no columns, you're walking above the lava, those are actually re-designed cave entrances, below where the players will be walking. Look closer. ;)
The lower of the two lava regions in the left walkable area, and the island near the north bridge, have upward walls with lava on the inside.
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

o11c wrote:The lower of the two lava regions in the left walkable area, and the island near the north bridge, have upward walls with lava on the inside.
Ah, those are actually small volcanoes. Orange particle effects will be added to simulate spewing lava, as well as to the rest of the lava tiles, to mask most of those tiles' imperfections.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Solo wrote:
o11c wrote:The lower of the two lava regions in the left walkable area, and the island near the north bridge, have upward walls with lava on the inside.
Ah, those are actually small volcanoes. Orange particle effects will be added to simulate spewing lava, as well as to the rest of the lava tiles, to mask most of those tiles' imperfections.
Well, there's a slight problem with that: gravity.

The level of lava in tubes that are connected below will always be equal.

And, ignoring for a moment the lava in the chasm below, a volcano would need a much larger solid area around it - otherwise the pressure would burst it. And, in order to get lava that's liquid on the surface it needs have low viscosity, which makes a shield volcano - otherwise you'll get a stratovolcano, which just explodes.

Are you intended that lava to represent the volcano's magma chamber, or the vent?

Now ignoring the volcanos and going back to the lava in the chasm - is it intended to be lava that has escaped and filled a natural cavern, or is the whole cave a magma chamber? In the latter case it would be much more likely for the whole cavern to collapse and form a caldera.

---

The best choice for origin of lava that does interesting things is going to be a shield volcano whose liquid lava flow filled a large natural cavern. For obvious reasons that means the volcano itself cannot pierce the cavern.

Shield volcanos don't form from converging plates (i.e. at the edge of a continent), but from diverging plates (in the middle of the ocean) or from hotspots (in the middle of a plate)

Alternatively, if you have a justification for how you got deep enough, you might be able to do something with a dying magma chamber (perhaps another magma chamber has formed "nearby" to divert the flow?).

Disclaimer: this discussion is based on the assumption that liquid water is capable of existing on the planet's surface.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I love that map. It's certainly ominous and I can almost feel the heat. Great work!

True, it's not realistic, but I don't play TMW to feel realistic. I take walks outside for that experience.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

o11c wrote:Well, there's a slight problem with that: gravity.

The level of lava in tubes that are connected below will always be equal.

And, ignoring for a moment the lava in the chasm below, a volcano would need a much larger solid area around it - otherwise the pressure would burst it. And, in order to get lava that's liquid on the surface it needs have low viscosity, which makes a shield volcano - otherwise you'll get a stratovolcano, which just explodes.

Are you intended that lava to represent the volcano's magma chamber, or the vent?

Now ignoring the volcanos and going back to the lava in the chasm - is it intended to be lava that has escaped and filled a natural cavern, or is the whole cave a magma chamber? In the latter case it would be much more likely for the whole cavern to collapse and form a caldera.

---

The best choice for origin of lava that does interesting things is going to be a shield volcano whose liquid lava flow filled a large natural cavern. For obvious reasons that means the volcano itself cannot pierce the cavern.

Shield volcanos don't form from converging plates (i.e. at the edge of a continent), but from diverging plates (in the middle of the ocean) or from hotspots (in the middle of a plate)

Alternatively, if you have a justification for how you got deep enough, you might be able to do something with a dying magma chamber (perhaps another magma chamber has formed "nearby" to divert the flow?).

Disclaimer: this discussion is based on the assumption that liquid water is capable of existing on the planet's surface.
Forst wrote:I love that map. It's certainly ominous and I can almost feel the heat. Great work!

True, it's not realistic, but I don't play TMW to feel realistic. I take walks outside for that experience.
Really? You're going to mention "realism"? The same guy who's been hunting zombies, fire lizards, wisps, specters, poltergeists, slimes, flying skulls, jack-o-lanterns, uses magic spells, talks to trees, and eats magic mushrooms for energy?

I work with that i have, and i only do it for fun. If a map gets accepted, it's fine by me, i'm not here to brag about it, i just enjoy doing it. Any opinions and suggestions that may me constructive are always welcome and i thank you for that. But realism is not my 1st priority when creating a map.

May the Shwartz be with you, my friend. Cheers. ;)