Phishing?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Phishing?

Post by Matt »

An unregistered trade mark does not mean anything. USA/UK might be an exception, but it does not mean much there too.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Most jurisdictions have the concept of "notoriety trademarks" - trademarks which are never registred, but are still enforceable because they are widely known. Unfortunately it is hard to prove notoriety of a trademark, so it's alsways better to register a trademark as early as possible.

But to get back to topic: A trademark is usually not required to fight phishers, because the act of phishing itself is against the acceptable use policy of most webhosters and illegal in many jurisdictions.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Crush could you contact the ISP who hosts this homepage to take it down?

Ablu posted their email adress above. It's a free service so I guess they will take it down pretty soon.

greets
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Why do you want me to do that? I am just your forum administrator. As an active developer you are more qualified to do that than me.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

because you're simply put... awesome 8)
sango98
Novice
Novice

Post by sango98 »

Random people kept asking me to join servers they made I'm glad I never went to those server
but I knew something was fishy with those people asking others to join their servers because most of them were noobs probably has a main somewhere .

I knew something was funny about this from the start, none of it added up at all :?
Last edited by sango98 on 01 Nov 2012, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

GMs and admins are certainly watching and listening. We take account theft quite seriously. Unfortunately, we cannot prevent all scams.

Sango offers excellent advice to be very careful that you don't use your TMW login information anywhere else. This is exactly why the TMW testing server warns

DO NOT USE the same passwords on this server as you use for anything else.

Note that this is equally true in the real world. After thieves steal passwords for free email accounts, the first thing they do is try the same login info on banks and credit card sites. Never ever use an important password for more than one place. Write them down or use a tool like Password Safe or KeePass.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

sango98 wrote:Random people kept asking me to join servers they made I'm glad I never went to those server
but I new something was fishy with those people asking others to join their servers
Please don't treat everyone who advertises a new server as a potential account thief. There are people who genuinely want to invite you to their own game and have no sinister motives whatsoever.

Still, when you try out other servers, always use different account names and passwords. Using a password manager like Frost suggests is a comfortable way to manage this.
  • NOT a game master

sango98
Novice
Novice

Post by sango98 »

I should have added this important part which i forgot to add , and your right crush not all people that ask you to join their servers are bad but I mostly got asked by people that would beg me for stuff and then after begging they would say hey you wanna go to my server and play for a while , I kinda found it weird they were asking me this . the truth is we may never know who server is legit or not but the best thing to do like crush and frost is to make a different password and never use the same one for other servers .