Fizzy hairstyle license?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Fizzy hairstyle license?

Post by Reid »

I can't find the right board to post it, so if you want to move this post, feel free to.

I was searching through logs and old forum posts about authors' name of some TMW artworks, and I can't find a precise one...
I think that everybody know the "Fizzy" hairstyle in game? Well then I find the original author on OpenGameArt, but I can't find the one which adapted the work to fit TMW's playerset, nor in which license he published his work.

It seems that the person who adapted this work to TMW's playerset is somebody from TAW, as Chicka-Maria find it on their repository and then asked to get it added in TMW.

It could be good to clarify this as TMW doesn't use Creative Commons licensed graphics and as this work has been reworked by a TAW developer (which btw used CC-BY-SA 3.0 for most of their work).
And also, it's always good to know who did the work that you/we use. :)
Reminder: This CC license requier a share-alike and attribution of the author.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Fizzy hairstyle license?

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Reid wrote:It seems that the person who adapted this work to TMW's playerset is somebody from TAW, as Chicka-Maria find it on their repository and then asked to get it added in TMW.
Keep in mind i said i SEEN it on TAW not grabbed it from their repository. I already had these hairstyles in my hard drive for a long while and thought it would be nice to bring them here. I don't remember where i got them from but TAW used them its why i mentioned i seen them have it.

Also it would be difficult to find somebody that might not even play games on the internet anymore, as we experienced developers DO live lives and a lot of them leave for that reason.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Chicka-Maria wrote:Keep in mind i said i SEEN it on TAW not grabbed it from their repository. I already had these hairstyles in my hard drive for a long while and thought it would be nice to bring them here. I don't remember where i got them from but TAW used them its why i mentioned i seen them have it.
This file was from the TAW's repository anyway, and most of these "new" hairstyles are from this project, so there's high chance that it comes from TAW.
Also it would be difficult to find somebody that might not even play games on the internet anymore, as we experienced developers DO live lives and a lot of them leave for that reason.
Not so difficult, even though that you don't know him doesn't mean that nobody know him! ^^
He could have been off from any development and even sold his PS3, this won't change the fact that somebody might know who he is. :)

What happens if the license is unknown, and remain unknown. Does TMW will continue to use it? Under the GPLv2?
-- Ford Prefect
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

TAW does not list the hairstyle in their AUTHORS file. They neither mention CC BY SA in their repo. The COPYING file only contains GPLv2. The commit (http://gitorious.org/the-alternate-worl ... 1a4347600f) adding the file does not tell anything about a different license than the project default (GPLv2).

There is no reason that this file should be copied and adapted by TAW as anything else than GPLv2.

Regards
Ablu
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ablu wrote:TAW does not list the hairstyle in their AUTHORS file. They neither mention CC BY SA in their repo. The COPYING file only contains GPLv2. The commit (http://gitorious.org/the-alternate-worl ... 1a4347600f) adding the file does not tell anything about a different license than the project default (GPLv2).

There is no reason that this file should be copied and adapted by TAW as anything else than GPLv2.
This file was originally made available under GPLv3, GPLv2 and CC BY-SA 3.0, so there're some possible reasons to think that this file was adapted and redistributed.
If the TAW project didn't specify the license type, it's their problem but the work remain to the author, not the project.

Also, the commit that you point add a large number of CC BY-SA 3.0 tilesets, does that mean that they're GPLv2 now? ^^
-- Ford Prefect
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Well since this Hairstyle was GPLv2 before I do not see your point. Of course adding CC-BY-SA tilesets without documenting is wrong. But this is not the case for this hairstyle.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ablu wrote:Well since this Hairstyle was GPLv2 before I do not see your point. Of course adding CC-BY-SA tilesets without documenting is wrong. But this is not the case for this hairstyle.
Reid wrote:This file was originally made available under GPLv3, GPLv2 and CC BY-SA 3.0
That's why I ask, maybe TAW's author didn't wish to release it as GPLv2, and only used the CC license.
-- Ford Prefect
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Reid wrote: That's why I ask, maybe TAW's author didn't wish to release it as GPLv2, and only used the CC license.
Then he would have to mark it as this. But it is only marked as GPLv2