why not move IRC channels back to FreeNode?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

why not move IRC channels back to FreeNode?

Post by o11c »

I haven't been convinced that there's any reason we're running our own IRC server. It would be better if we just moved back to Freenode

Some reasons why:
  • less netsplits. Even when the main server is behaving well, IRC still netsplits. This is especially annoying for those of us who have access to #tmw-private, since netsplits usually mean getting banned from the channel until reauth, then removing the ban and rejoining.
  • less maintenance burden. When I encountered a problem with the services, and asked for help, they were shocked by the version we were using.
  • encourage participation. This is not an abstract problem - there are people who won't bother to help with this project because it requires connecting to another IRC server. Freenode is the canonical network for open-source projects.
What needs to be done:
  • recover our old channels
  • register new channels, like #tmwa
  • change documentation
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Re: why not move IRC channels back to FreeNode?

Post by baseballboy »

I agree completely, freenode has better support and an actual support team. They're definitely more stable, and just overall better in my opinion.

plus they have SSL support >_>
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is the history why TMW got an own IRC server in the first place:

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8799
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =12&t=8812
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8863

tl;dr: It's because Platyna got into a fight with a Freenode admin
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

The freenode channels are still there, I join them daily! (even the old ones :P)

I didn't see why we needed to switch to platinium, I think there was less channel activity because of that.

So I would say go for it.
kook
Novice
Novice

Post by kook »

lets not also forget #manaplus
also: #themanaworld :Cannot send to channel :(
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:I haven't been convinced that there's any reason we're running our own IRC server. It would be better if we just moved back to Freenode
baseballboy wrote:I agree completely, freenode has better support and an actual support team. They're definitely more stable, and just overall better in my opinion.
plus they have SSL support >_>[/size]
I don't see any reason to change something to the actual situation except the private channel problem with netsplit. (perhaps auth method is not the best one?)
what better support do we need?, why SSL? why changing something which works? The old Channels could be used in case of a platinum failure. Did Platyna say her freenode ban has been canceled? I don't see how moving could encourage participation except, maybe, webchat; but mibbit is almost as easy to use than freenode one and all IRC clients allow multiple servers.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

Afaik some services like github notifications when there are new commits do not work with platinum, but works on freenode.
That would be handy.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

v0id wrote:Afaik some services like github notifications when there are new commits do not work with platinum, but works on freenode.
That would be handy.
Yeah, that. (Specifically Travis, but it's linked to GitHub)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Some open-source project have their own IRC server, they use it for dev channels or for some technical things, and they keep their community channel on FreeNode.

You have your own IRC server, there's no reason to remove it. ^^
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

If I remember correctly, you can tell nickserv to soft-auth a user@host mask, if the autobans are proving troublesome.

The anope services used are indeed ancient. I'll see about updating them this weekend if I still have access; otherwise I'll let Platyna know.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Freeyorp101 wrote:The anope services used are indeed ancient. I'll see about updating them this weekend if I still have access; otherwise I'll let Platyna know.
Note that when I asked, they said the most recent version is NOT database-compatible we're running a dev-release.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Platinum is now running Anope 1.9.7.

All databases seem to have been converted correctly.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I talked to FreeNode staff about this, and recovered/registered the channels. There is a difference, though - we can only have one "namespace", so it is now #themanaworld-dev instead of #tmw-dev, and so on. The only exception is #tmwa, which I conceptualize as "separate" from the rest of TMW, even though at present time it is only aimed at supporting TMW content.

It's nice having commit notifications again, even though it's lonely ...

Maybe eventually we can come up with a set of automated tests so we can check for typos via Travis.

They have requested that we wait until they post a new method for Group Registration on http://blog.freenode.net/, then go through that process formally.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

o11c wrote:I talked to FreeNode staff about this, and recovered/registered the channels.
Great work, o11c.
Thank you.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

Yes thank you.