Prevent item stealing

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Not in that way...
I think it would be ok if there was PvP everywhere, but I don't like that either.

I mean if you can steal/loot from anyone you should be able to kill anyone. But if you can kill anyone it sucks being a new player.
So I also think we shouldn't have a thieving skills, just sneaking maybe for backstabbing creatures?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

Good!!! so be it PVP!

:o
May the Source be With You
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Modanung wrote:So I also think we shouldn't have a thieving skills, just sneaking maybe for backstabbing creatures?
stealing could be limited to npcs and monsters... of course with the player being jailed when caught by a npc.
backstabbing creatures? is there a fov (field of view) planned for those, or how's that gonna work? i thought they basically look 360 around within a certain radius
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

That's the way it is now, yea. I don't know if it'll be changed, but I think it would be cool if it were added.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dayne
Peon
Peon

Post by Dayne »

pvp is a great solution if u ask me :twisted: :cry:
I love u Matt lol.
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

this has been raised before. If you enable PVP everywhere there should be penalties for people who PVP. You could possibly remove some experience from the user (this is probably just about all we could do at this time)... i would suggest that experience removed would be inversly proportional to the difference between the 2 players levels (with some adjustments). This way whena high level player kills a low level player they lose quite a bit of experience, but if killing the exact same level no experience would be lost. But this would give an attacker more experience when killing a higher leveled player ;) (this could be changed easily though)

Here is an example:
Attacker LVL = 8
Defender LVL = 5

Experience Loss for Attacker = (Attacker LVL - Defender LVL) * 2
= (8 - 5) * 2
= 6
So not much experience lost, as there isn't a huge difference between levels.

Another Example:
Attacker LVL = 47
Defender LVL = 7

Experience Loss for Attacker = (47 - 7) * 2
= 80
A bit more experience lost this time.

One last example:
Attacker LVL = 6
Defender LVL = 13

Experience Loss for Attacker = (6 - 13) * 2
= -14
So the attacker gains experience 8)

This is just a _extremely_ simple example to display the idea. The multiplier would be much larger if implemented ;)
YOU ARE READING THIS!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

im strictly against free for all pvp. at games where there is pvp free for all you don't know who you can trust or not.

you don't know who is your enemy and who isn't.

most guys act totaly peaceful in pvp games and wait until you are fighting a mob or you go afk for a minute. and then they attack you from behind.

no, free for all pvp is definitely a fun killer.

what i would suggest is restricting pvp to guilds only. when you are in a guild you can declare war on other guilds and then you can fight the members of the guild whereever they are. you got the thrill of pvp but you exactly know who your enemies are. and when you don't want to fear for your virtual life anymore you can just leave your guild and stay guildless or join a guild who doesn't declare war on anyone.

this system would also have the interesting effect of allowing complex diplomatic relations and political affairs between guilds. a garant for social interaction and long term motivation.
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

What about buying protection?

PVP from level, for example 10+

What about restricting pvp to a style of players... Becose, thiefs and no pvp doesn?t mix.

If you are a thief, you are expecting to face other players...

I rather prefer, that you may take Non Violent Against ManKind act :) This would disable you from PVP, and also be unable to loot, and many other "annoyances"...

What would avoid a player for becoming a pvp, kill a few players, and then get into a non-pvp guild?

Maybe an assasin flag could be enable :) you dont become PVP elegible til, for example the 3rdh time you want to kill another player... in the moment you become assasin, then you get to the pvp free for all system :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

criptos wrote:What about restricting pvp to a style of players... Becose, thiefs and no pvp doesn?t mix.

If you are a thief, you are expecting to face other players...
we could give players the ability to steal from other players without a free for all pvp system (but i would suggest standard loot and some money only, no rares or equipment. would just be too unfair). but someone who steals gets visibly marked as a thief for 1 minute and becomes pvp free for all during that time (but he can only attack people who attacked him). so everyone can hunt the thief and he has to run away and hide somewhere. when he is killed in that minute his victim gets his stuff back.
What would avoid a player for becoming a pvp, kill a few players, and then get into a non-pvp guild?
When you are in a pvp guild and you want to kill some random person, first that person has to be in a guild. then your guild has to declare war on that guild. there could be a delay of about 1 hour or so until the war becomes active. until then that player should have noticed that you are in an enemy guild. he knows that you are going to kill him and will watch out. when you got enough of killing people who are in enemy guilds and you fear revenge you can simply leave your guild. but we could also add a delay for that. maybe an hour in which you can be attacked by former enemy guilds but can't attack other people without being attacked first.
Maybe an assasin flag could be enable :) you dont become PVP elegible til, for example the 3rdh time you want to kill another player... in the moment you become assasin, then you get to the pvp free for all system :)
how can you kill three people without being pvp active first?
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

A thief is a thief, and not only for a minute.

Maybe we can make an association of "skills" for PVP players and NON PVP players..

And about the guilds... Sound to much bureaucracy for killing just one guy, but the guild wars just sounds COOL....

I mean, the 3rd attempt... Becose, you may click on a player by mistake... a warning and a not peforming of the action can be done :)

What about having a General Rules of Engagement. While you stay inbounds this rules, you are not flagged as assasin or thief.. I really really think that thief is almos equal to an assasin...

Both are, at the other side of the "common law" :)

An example could be this:
You may not want to drink more than 500 hp recovery.

If you do, you are marked as, outlaw, and people can PVP you or rob you...
Some falults could be temporary, others permanent :)
AndyG314
Peon
Peon

Post by AndyG314 »

Perhaps it could work that everyone who damaged the moster can try to get the item, of those who damage it, first to grab gets it. This will keep unrelated players from stealing.

Maby make it that a player must do x% damage to be elegable for to get the item first, to prevent a quick run up and stab to "steal" items.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

AndyG314 wrote:Perhaps it could work that everyone who damaged the moster can try to get the item, of those who damage it, first to grab gets it. This will keep unrelated players from stealing.

Maby make it that a player must do x% damage to be elegable for to get the item first, to prevent a quick run up and stab to "steal" items.
I like your idea but more like a skill or magic spell (like "prevent loot stealing") which is not activated on the first levels.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Degraine
Peon
Peon

Post by Degraine »

I really don't see why a 'loot box' solution ala WoW can't be be used. Only allows the person who first attacked the monster to open the loot box the first time (thus avoiding the troubles of loot ninjas), and also helping to reduce data requirements, as loot is represented onscreen by the corpse of the creature killed - instead of one, two or half a dozen items laying on the ground to be clicked, checked for looting rights, etc.
Fedora User
Peon
Peon

Post by Fedora User »

I suggest to give to the player who hits the enemy first 5 seconds to take the item/s the enemy drops. So thieves won't try to attack the enemy the player is attacking because they won't get any item (unless the player doesn't want to pick up the item/s). We should do the same for the Exp. The player who attacks first should get all exp points or a porcentage if other player is atacking the same monster. If the first player dies, then the surviving player should get the exp points instead.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

I had a idea.Why not make loot targetable?While you have a loot targetted then no one except you can loot it and you do this automatically by going into melee range.Make Tab the "target loot" button.Of course you can still pick up loot the usual way.

The important thing here isnt to prevent thieving but to make the pick up easier.I almost never use the mouse for walking or targetting because I miss all the time and being able to target loot and picking it up with tab is much easier then searching for G all the time.Tab is close to shift and ctrl which I have my fingers on all the time when I play.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.