More love for warriors

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: More love for warriors

Post by veryape »

I would love it if all classes had alternate attack/power attacks. For a warrior it could be a spin and hit all the enemies that are around you, for an archer it could be shoot three arrows at once etc. There should be a cooldown on say 15/30 seconds. It would be cool if you could learn different alt-attacks from different quests but you can only use one at a time.

Mages are hard to give even better attacks than what they already have, a short stun/pushback/disorient would be cool as a alternate attack for them, mostly useful for getting out of tight situations. For warriors an attrackt mob with battle cry/twirl attack and/or shield-bash would be cool.

I don't know if something along the lines of alternate attacks have been discussed before but i think I've heard someone talk about it before and I do think that it could give the game play more flexability and let people play with different styles.

This is just a thought of what i would like to see in game in the future and not something I've thought thru, just an idea that popped into my mind when reading this topic, so feel free to point out disadvantages to this if you see any.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

Reminds me a little of what Secret of Mana has, with the attack gauge that builds up, and when at 100% you do some kind of special attack.
end of line.
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

veryape wrote:I would love it if all classes had alternate attack/power attacks. For a warrior it could be a spin and hit all the enemies that are around you, for an archer it could be shoot three arrows at once etc. There should be a cooldown on say 15/30 seconds. It would be cool if you could learn different alt-attacks from different quests but you can only use one at a time.

Mages are hard to give even better attacks than what they already have, a short stun/pushback/disorient would be cool as a alternate attack for them, mostly useful for getting out of tight situations. For warriors an attrackt mob with battle cry/twirl attack and/or shield-bash would be cool.

I don't know if something along the lines of alternate attacks have been discussed before but i think I've heard someone talk about it before and I do think that it could give the game play more flexability and let people play with different styles.

This is just a thought of what i would like to see in game in the future and not something I've thought thru, just an idea that popped into my mind when reading this topic, so feel free to point out disadvantages to this if you see any.
biggest problem is how would the server know definitively what class you were?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

The skills could always be item based, with requirements that only the class they were intended for would fit (like 70 vit, 80 str).
Pixel Battalion
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

Len wrote:
The skills could always be item based, with requirements that only the class they were intended for would fit (like 70 vit, 80 str).
it could be item tied but which items? so many already dress the same in battle, i wouldnt want to see it get even worse in variety on the field. as for stats it could work but great care would need to be taken to pinpoint what the class was without destroying variety. in warriors alone there are tons of stat configurations. take my own which doesn't match your example as i have 100-110 str and only 55 vit and decided i wanted more agi to maximize damage output. i know of some lower str warrior configs as well so that wouldnt work. i know of many with 50 or less str and very high agi. i guess you could add lots of skills for all these sub classes but that sounds like a lot of complicated work to come up with a specialized move for nearly all known classes and sub classes.

keep in mind im not disagreeing. its actually a way to pinpoint class the server could use i hadnt thought of. i am just pointing out its complexity
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Hrm, I would like it if they were tied to your skills. So raging gives you the option of using some alternate attacks, speed a different set, astral a third etc. That way it could even make the kind of useless skills useful with powerful alternate attacks, the poison resist one could have a poison attack etc. However i have no idea if this is doable withouth big changes to server code etc.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Gatekeeper
Peon
Peon

Post by Gatekeeper »

Look at the Special Items from the Luvia-Quest Bullhelmet / Banshee Bow / Lazarus Robe.

Do the Same with a Barbarien Sword/Axe for Warriors.

Thats possible. If Char can use the SpecialSword ... More Damage an so on.
Wenn Ich die Welt in Händen tragen könnte, Ich würde Sie zerquetschen ;)
Oder Gar nicht mehr über sowas nachdenken.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i can't be arsed to read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested adding an xp bonus for tanking?
perhaps whoever takes the bulk of aggro could get a bonus based on how much damage they prevent others from taking?
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

veryape wrote:Hrm, I would like it if they were tied to your skills. So raging gives you the option of using some alternate attacks, speed a different set, astral a third etc. That way it could even make the kind of useless skills useful with powerful alternate attacks, the poison resist one could have a poison attack etc. However i have no idea if this is doable withouth big changes to server code etc.
how do we reconcile speed that is commonly used be very different classes? speed is used by the tanks which them having tank assistance is sort of how this is started. speed is also used by archer which would need something different thatn what tanks would find useful
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

yourmistakes wrote:i can't be arsed to read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested adding an xp bonus for tanking?
perhaps whoever takes the bulk of aggro could get a bonus based on how much damage they prevent others from taking?
So then I stand out on JackO's ledge, just taking hits to the tune of about 14,000 damage per hour, until someone else comes along and actually fights it so that I get a bunch of XP? Would doing nothing at all then have to be reclassified as botting?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

i guess you could add lots of skills for all these sub classes but that sounds like a lot of complicated work to come up with a specialized move for nearly all known classes and sub classes.
:? You could say that about almost any new skill system, and isn't it a given that game development involves some "complicated work".
it could be item tied but which items?
I would focus on shields, bows, and staffs... I envision an enchanting NPC with various options, all with requirements and drawbacks (some of which even allow for lower lvl players to use).
for example you could enchant a shield to allow for the use of #itenplz once every 30 seconds or the use of #betsanc or #asorm once an hour (all on the same timer so they couldn't just switch out equipment to get an extra cast).

Or you could always have a weak line of magic that uses a % of your HP and not MP, and mostly consists of spells that a warrior or archer might find useful. You could even go one step further and have whatever skill your currently focusing on factor into what kind of spells you can learn and use. For example #retreat could sacrifice all but 1 hp (you can't be healed for the duration of the buff), while greatly increasing movement speed, evasion, attack speed (with the requirement that you have at least 5 in Speed Skill and that it be focused). Such a spell could be used as fast travel or a means to run away or kite mobs or other players in pvp. The raging equivalent might halve your maximum hp, causing all monsters within a radius to be aggressive toward you for the duration of the buff.
Pixel Battalion
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

radiant wrote:
yourmistakes wrote:i can't be arsed to read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested adding an xp bonus for tanking?
So then I stand out on JackO's ledge, just taking hits to the tune of about 14,000 damage per hour, until someone else comes along and actually fights it so that I get a bunch of XP? Would doing nothing at all then have to be reclassified as botting?
its always been a tough situation. tanks deserve xp but to give them xp for damage would open exploits