Coloured avatars

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Speiros01
Novice
Novice

Coloured avatars

Post by Speiros01 »

What is the possibility of seeing different coloured avatars, like we do the hair?

It isn't necessary for a whole range of colours, but there could be shades of at least three; the colour we see now, tanned, and dark brown to black.

It would allow for the full range of human society that uses the avatars to reflect who they are, or who they want to be as an avatar.

Any thoughts?
A.K.A "_speiros_", by a mistake I made...lol
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Coloured avatars

Post by Bertram »

Hi Speiros,

By this, I guess you mean player skin tones.

This has been discussed many times and I actively support this idea myself.

The fact is that we're currently aiming at improving the current wrong-perspective-very-incomplete playerset for CR1 release, and we have a bad time at getting it done somehow.
Once it's done. Recoloration of it, even if not automatic could be really appreciated!

Care enough to put effort in upgrading the playerset?
Please talk to Rotonen to get feedback or see the CR1 threads about the playerset to get feedback.

Best regards.
Speiros01
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros01 »

Bertram wrote:Hi Speiros,

By this, I guess you mean player skin tones.

This has been discussed many times and I actively support this idea myself.

The fact is that we're currently aiming at improving the current wrong-perspective-very-incomplete playerset for CR1 release, and we have a bad time at getting it done somehow.
Once it's done. Recoloration of it, even if not automatic could be really appreciated!

Care enough to put effort in upgrading the playerset?
Please talk to Rotonen to get feedback or see the CR1 threads about the playerset to get feedback.

Best regards.
Sure. I'd love to be involved mate. Sorry but my navigational skills stink, but I will try to contact Rotonen.
Speiros01
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros01 »

Speiros wrote:What is the possibility of seeing different coloured avatars, like we do the hair?

It isn't necessary for a whole range of colours, but there could be shades of at least three; the colour we see now, tanned, and dark brown to black.

It would allow for the full range of human society that uses the avatars to reflect who they are, or who they want to be as an avatar.

Any thoughts?
I'd like to resurrect this subject...I haven't been able to get around to looking into this...is anyone here interested in it at all still? It's been a while since I've participated in any work on here...not that I ever really did anything except a little with the wiki. Does anyone else have an interest in this?
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

being black would be nice for a change.

I am not sure however if this is going to work but a simple recoloration of the sprites should be possible. or am I wrong?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

tux9th wrote:being black would be nice for a change.

I am not sure however if this is going to work but a simple recoloration of the sprites should be possible. or am I wrong?
One of the forks tried that. It look horrid. With the new dye abilities we have now, it might work better.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

If avatar mean skin color, here need support from server for another parameter.
Also for limited usage can be used hair color, but need change server limits for hair color.
After need support from client side.

About avatars i thinked some small player images?
This i can add to client, but avatars will be from fixed images from clientdata, and will be some lag time to send it to other people like now with shop and other things.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

I'm all for this and have a pretty obvious idea.

This is hacky.. but could hair colors/styles be bitmasked to include skin color? 1 byte can hold a lot of information! 256/4 = 64 possible values each for skin color, hair style, and hair color.. Plus one slot left over for future use.
The client could then simply dye the player sprites based on an xml.

Yes it would break backwards compatibility and people using old clients wouldn't see player's hair properly. It's just hair though. They can upgrade their client. :alt-6:
Head of the TMW Illuminati
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

This sounds like a brilliant idea, anything that can make the avatars look apart is good imo.

Lets make this happen!
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

veryape wrote:This sounds like a brilliant idea, anything that can make the avatars look apart is good imo.

Lets make this happen!
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

4144 wrote:
veryape wrote:This sounds like a brilliant idea, anything that can make the avatars look apart is good imo.

Lets make this happen!
Avatar most likely refers to player character.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Need exploit high byte from hair color or hair style, now not sure what byte is better. but server now not allow using it.
In client I can use this as pseudo race. for each race own playerset images and if need own item sprites.

also need some time for old client for ignore unsupported bytes.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

o11c you can add to server not to check high byte from hair style in char creation (char server)?
if yes possible add different skin for players.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

That sounds quite hacky...