[RC] Graphics revision

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

enchilado
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] Graphics revision

Post by enchilado »

You have to remember that they're not always going to be displayed against a plain white background; the outline helps them stand out against tiles they're dropped on.

I also noticed you added semi-transparency as well as shaded outlines, a technique I'm really not fond of at all. While it's not up to me if TMW decides to use my icons with this added to them, I'm not going to be doing it myself nor be keen on drawing further art if they do so. Anyway, here are your same edits without that:

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I prefer enchi version to be honest. Cause of the dark outline they feel like they have more depth, and stand out more. Which is important so that you can tell what the difference is between just a tile with a ball (can't pickup) and an item (can pickup).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When it's about inventory items I would recommend a dark outline for purely practical reasons.

- These icons appear on the ground.
- You never know how the ground looks.
- It's important for the player to notice the icons quickly.

A dark outline ensures that the icon is visible on almost every background.

Generally I prefer colored outlines over black, but usability is more important than aesthetics.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I've been looking over the icons, and I like most of them very much! So I'm only mentioning here where I think some nice feature of the old graphics gets lost:
- I like the details on the old grasseeds, it looks as if there's a picture and some text about what's inside (though arguably this might look a bit too modern).
- I like the old herb icon, and I wonder if with the new ones it'd be needed to also redraw the plant to look differently for each sort of them. https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... /plant.png
- For the new yeticlaw, if I wouldn't knew what it is, I couldn't tell it's a claw.

About the dark outlines, I think the guidelines say no black ones, but I see the benefits of having dark ones.

Also, I saw in irc that you wondered why the squirrel pelt is dyeable. If I remember correctly, when Wombat started drawing it he attempted to create a generic animal-pelt, which would've been usable for all kind of different items. But it turned out to look like a squirrel, so he finished it as that, but kept the dye-channel colors.
Actually, since I'm going to need some evil versions of woodland monsters, I was wondering if we could make the squirrel sprite itself dyeable as well.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Cassy wrote: Bandit Hood: better, but I'm not sure if it also fits better (style)
Blanket: both look good, but I wouldn't recognize both as blankets
Hard Spike: better, but in my opinion too long, since it's dropped from Spiky Mushrooms who don't have that long spikes
Jelly Beans: I agree they should be smaller, but you hardly recognize them now...
Lazurite Crystal, Heart and Shard: the new ones look a bit cube-like to me, is this on purpose?
Powder: not sure... the outline seems too dark?
Santa Globe: the old one looks much better because it's bigger (yes, logic says it should be smaller)
Silver Bell: better, though I still wouldn't recognize it
Wooden Mouboo: better, but looks very close to the Chocolate Mouboo to me
Yeti Claw: old one to big, new one to small, I can't see it's a claw now
I agree that the bandit hood isn't quite in the right style. I'll work on that. The blanket I was stuck on for a while and I decided just to do something boring for it; I'll work on that too. The hard spike I've already made shorter again, before reading that. The jelly beans... I'll try to make them more recognisable, but IMO the old ones looked nothing like jelly beans either. I did make the Lazurite icons more cube-like because I thought that's the shape they were supposed to be. the powder looks like a solid block rather than powder and you're right, the outline is too dark. I'll do something about that. I don't like the old snow globes at all, but I think mine are pretty terrible as well; I'll work on them. I'm not sure they should be larger, though. I might change the angle of the bell so you can see inside, and I might change the shape and maybe direction of the wooden mouboo.
Jenalya wrote:- I like the details on the old grasseeds, it looks as if there's a picture and some text about what's inside (though arguably this might look a bit too modern).
- I like the old herb icon, and I wonder if with the new ones it'd be needed to also redraw the plant to look differently for each sort of them.
- For the new yeticlaw, if I wouldn't knew what it is, I couldn't tell it's a claw.

About the dark outlines, I think the guidelines say no black ones, but I see the benefits of having dark ones.
Yeah, I removed the picture from the grass seeds for that reason—it seemed too modern to me. I'll try adding it back or just adding some text.

I'm still not really happy with the new herb icons and I'll probably redraw them again from scratch, but if I work something out that looks good and you want to use it I'd be happy to make alternate versions of the herb plant as well (probably completely different types of bush, too, not just different leaves).

The yeti claw I actually tried to draw as a fingernail, since yetis are (or at least, would be if they were real) apes, but I realise it's kind of impossible to tell what it is. I might try drawing it larger or something.

Unless I made a mistake somewhere, none of the outlines I've used are black. I think they all have a value of at least 10, and most should be much lighter.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

How do these herb icons look?

The plants are obviously far from complete.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I'm concerned about how the plants will look on a green background.

We need contrast to emulate the 3D effect.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

As I said, they're far from complete. I was just sketching possible shapes.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Due to the way Rauk combines herbs into dyes and the final colour of the clothing, I think the blue should be darker.

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _Alchemist
Head of the TMW Illuminati
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Is there any progress on this? I will be sad if this get lost in the forums :alt-4:
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

EJlol wrote:Is there any progress on this? I will be sad if this get lost in the forums :alt-4:
Yes, that would be sad. Can we at least get the ones that are 'acceptable' to enchilado so they can be put in game?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Please note that the names of the herbs, Mauve, Cobalt, Alizarin and Gamboge, are actually names of colors, which are the same color values used for dyeing them. This was a spoof on the proposal to just name them "blue herb, red herb, yellow herb" and so on. I was doing the same thing, I was just more obscure in my choice of colors.

I would be really happy when you would keep that in-joke intact.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Here are the latest versions of all images. There are a number that I'm still quite unhappy with, but I'm not sure when (or if) I'll work on them further.
Attachments
equipment-ammo-latest.zip
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
equipment-charms-latest.zip
(6.14 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
equipment-rings-latest.zip
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
equipment-shields-latest.zip
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
equipment-weapons-latest.zip
(8.96 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
generic-latest.zip
(102.04 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
use-food-latest.zip
(32.94 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
use-potions-latest.zip
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
use-scrolls-latest.zip
(827 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Woot! Zips work fine for me. Everything looks nice.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
mas886
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mas886 »

Wow, they look really nice, excelent work