TEST: Orum and Waric follow-up quest

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

TEST: Orum and Waric follow-up quest

Post by Jenalya »

On the testserver there's now the first part of the Orum and Waric follow-up quest available.
It requires you to have done the Candle Helmet quest, which you can start in the caves below Hurnscald, at 009-3 162 114.
The follow-up quest can be started by exploring the cave at 017-1 76 32. In case you don't want to do the Candle Helmet quest again, there's a debug npc located at the cave entrance that lets you skip the prerequisites, and also allows you to set the quest state to arbitrary states.

The quest doesn't have a fixed level requirement, though there are some fights involved which will be hard/impossible for lower levels. It's indended for middle level range, so 40-60. The exact balancing of the fights is one of the thing this testing is needed for.
Following are some additional information. In case you want to test completely unbiased, I suggest to read them after your first testing. :)
Spoiler:
The quest has two parts, one of them are several tasks given by Orum. This part is already implement and possible to test.
The other part involves Waric teaching you some new spells (provided you're not a follower of Sagatha), depending on the progress with Orum's tasks, which helps you gain their trust. This part isn't implemented yet.

The tasks from Orum involve some spawning of large amounts of monsters, which are intended to encourage fighting them in a group, not alone.

There are some new monsters which are evil versions of woodland monsters. I've already included Cassy's Wicked Mushroom and meway's Bluepar, but the evil version of mouboo and squirrel still use the same graphic as the usual monsters.

The quest involves the new Rose Hat (e.g. @item redrosehat). To trade one of them for one with a different color, talk to Blossom.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: TEST: Orum and Waric follow-up quest

Post by Cassy »

Pretty interesting quest so far, I like it :D

Something is weird though:

Placing the flowers 1-3 was fine, but the fourth one seems to be buggy.
When you speak to that "NPC" there's only a message appearing above your char, saying that something is wrong with this place.
Well and that's it. You can't put the flower there (I got it in my inventory of course).

A bit later a message appeared in the chat tab:
[12:16] Global announcement: $@Flower_Pentagram_Mobcount: 0
I think another tester who did the quest at the same time like I did, caused this message.

I went back to Orum pretending I lost the flower and did his mini quest to get a new one again.
Meanwhile I also did other things and when I looked again, these messages were in the chat:
5.png
5.png (170.36 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
The area around Sagatha (map 013-1) was full of those Astral creatures.
...but how is this possible?
And still I can't place the forth flower...
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Cassy wrote:Placing the flowers 1-3 was fine, but the fourth one seems to be buggy.
When you speak to that "NPC" there's only a message appearing above your char, saying that something is wrong with this place.
Well and that's it. You can't put the flower there (I got it in my inventory of course).
Indeed, there was a bug in the fourth spot, checking for the wrong value of the quest variable. I fixed that and restarted the testserver. I also removed the debug message you mentioned, that slipped in from my local debugging.

The area around sagatha being full of monsters is the result of completing the pentagram, I assume someone used the debug npc to skip the buggy fourth flower and do the later parts of the quest.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

The second try was absolutely fine.

About coloring the Rose Hat at Blossom:
You can see "@have_id: xxx" and "@receive_id: xxx" in the dialogue.
I don't know if this is alright in the testing time or an accident.

Edit:
I just had a short discussion with Janica at the test server.
She had problems with the last flower.
If I understand correctly, you don't get a fifth flower, but instead you get the Rose Hat.
I was already wearing the Rose Hat when I placed the last flower and it worked immediatelly (btw I didn't get this "you're not close enough" message there), so I don't know, but Janica only get the "this place is exhausted" message when she didn't wear it.
If wearing it is required, then maybe changing the dialogue, since the place can't be exhausted and it's hard to know that you also have to wear the hat?
Or is it buggy?

Hope I don't write non-sense, I'm terribly tired.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

tsukinokage
Peon
Peon

Post by tsukinokage »

Jenalya wrote:The area around sagatha being full of monsters is the result of completing the pentagram, I assume someone used the debug npc to skip the buggy fourth flower and do the later parts of the quest.
No, the area around sagatha being full of monsters is not the result of using debug npc to skip the buggy fourth flower.
I can say so since it was me that did it.
Since I know that the fifth flower is Red Summon Flower, after I can't place the fourth flower, I tried @item redsummonflower to place it at the fifth place. Although without place the fourth flower, the fifth place accept my flower, and did the pentagram summon. So I mean the fifth place is buggy.

To Cassy: the fifth flower is supposed to fail at the first time, so you get the rose hat. You need to try get it twice. Although I havn't test it myself, I've read the code in Jenalya's clone of waric branch.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

tsukinokage wrote:Since I know that the fifth flower is Red Summon Flower, after I can't place the fourth flower, I tried @item redsummonflower to place it at the fifth place. Although without place the fourth flower, the fifth place accept my flower, and did the pentagram summon. So I mean the fifth place is buggy.
You're right, there was another slipped line from my local debugging, that skipped the check-logic. :oops:
That was also the reason for this:
Cassy wrote:(btw I didn't get this "you're not close enough" message there)
I updated the testserver with a fix of that and removing the debug messages in exchanging the rose hats at Blossom.
Sorry for letting you test something I didn't clean up properly. :(
tsukinokage wrote:To Cassy: the fifth flower is supposed to fail at the first time, so you get the rose hat. You need to try get it twice.
If I understood correctly, she meant placing the flower, not the creation.
Cassy wrote:but Janica only get the "this place is exhausted" message when she didn't wear it.
The complete text is

Code: Select all

mes "Looking at the place more closely, it seems another summoning has happened just before, leaving the path between this world and the astral plane drained and exhausted.";
    next;
    mes "You should wait a while until it recovers, or go and search the creatures that got summoned.";
You get this when there are still monsters left from the previous summoning, to avoid the summonings of several people stacking and spawning too many monsters. I hoped the dialog is clear enough to hint at what to do (waiting or hunting the monsters). I'm going to think about how it could be made more clear, if you have a suggestion, I'm happy to hear. :)

I'd also like some feedback on whether the spawning at Sagatha is well-balanced. Since I'm a bit worried that it might catch someone talking with Sagatha by surprise, spawning a lot of aggressive monsters around them while they're stuck in the npc dialog.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Jenalya wrote:If I understood correctly, she meant placing the flower, not the creation.
yes :wink:

Jenalya wrote:You get this when there are still monsters left from the previous summoning, to avoid the summonings of several people stacking and spawning too many monsters. I hoped the dialog is clear enough to hint at what to do (waiting or hunting the monsters). I'm going to think about how it could be made more clear, if you have a suggestion, I'm happy to hear. :)
Actually the dialogue is pretty fine and clear.
Maybe I've really been too tired yesterday and therefore not reading carefully, but on the other hand Janica also didn't understand.
Do you have to kill every single monster from the previous summoning or only until a certain quantity is left?
I'm asking because it's actually not that easy to find all mobs in this area, since it's pretty large and mobs like the Squirrels and Bluepars are small.

Jenalya wrote:I'd also like some feedback on whether the spawning at Sagatha is well-balanced. Since I'm a bit worried that it might catch someone talking with Sagatha by surprise, spawning a lot of aggressive monsters around them while they're stuck in the npc dialog.
Right now I think that the Wicked Mushrooms could be a bit too strong.
The Black Scorpions already deal a lot of damage (for level 40-60, especially to mages and archers of course).
Combining those is a bit tough.
But this is just my first impression, I'll try it out for a second time.
Then I'll read the dialogue more carefully too (I already saw a typo but clicked to fast).
Main characters:

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Cassy wrote:Do you have to kill every single monster from the previous summoning or only until a certain quantity is left?
I'm asking because it's actually not that easy to find all mobs in this area, since it's pretty large and mobs like the Squirrels and Bluepars are small.
At the moment you get that message if there are more than 5 of the originally about 85 summoned monsters are left. I picked that number rather arbitrarily and it's open to changing based on the feedback I get from testing. :wink:
Cassy wrote: Right now I think that the Wicked Mushrooms could be a bit too strong.
The Black Scorpions already deal a lot of damage (for level 40-60, especially to mages and archers of course).
Combining those is a bit tough.
At least the summonings at the fourth and fifth place, and especially the one on Sagatha's map are intended to be rather hard for a single person in that level range, to encourage bringing friends. When the monsters around Sagatha are spawned, there's even a global announcement to make everyone aware the summoning happens.
I tried to make the monsters worthwhile to hunt by increasing the drop rate of their usual drops a bit, and adding some special drops, e.g. gemstones.
I suppose testing the actual dynamics the quest will have on the mainserver is difficult, because there aren't lots of people doing different things who might get attracted by the announcement.

About the problem with someone talking to Sagatha being catched by surprise with the spawning, I pondered about letting the summoning at Sagatha happen with some delay (maybe one or two minutes?) after the fifth flower was placed and some warning on Sagatha's map happened.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

...as shortly discussed on IRC yesterday ;)

https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... 4/orum.txt

mes "You last thing you hear is Waric shouting something about untalented apprentices.";
line 122 -> The last thing you hear [...]

mes "\"Purpose? Well... We're buidling a pentagram.\"";
line 228 -> building

mes "\"Oh, almost! Only the last flower needs to be placed. Don't loose concentration now!";
line 569 -> it should mean "lose" with one "o", shouldn't it?

mes "\"Hahahaha! Wonderful! We were able to her Sagatha's screaming and ranting here in the cave!\"";
line 742 -> We were able to hear [...]

Also I noticed that some plural forms like "stingers" and "furs" after "@AMOUNT_XYZ" are missing.
I think it should always be plural...?

mes "\"Bring me " + @AMOUNT_PINKPETAL + " Pink Petals, " + @AMOUNT_STINGER + " Scorpion Stinger and one Purple Tulip.\"";
line 198 -> Scorpion Stingers

mes "\"Ok, now that this is settled, bring me " + @AMOUNT_PINKPETAL + " Pink Petals, " + @AMOUNT_STINGER + " Scorpion Stinger and one Purple Tulip again.\"";
line 253 -> Scorpion Stingers

mes "\"Now we need " + @AMOUNT_WHITEFUR + " White Fur, " + @AMOUNT_REDSTINGER + " Red Scorpion Stinger and one White Tulip.\"";
line 277 -> White Furs & Red Scorpion Stingers

mes "\"Once again we need " + @AMOUNT_WHITEFUR + " White Fur, " + @AMOUNT_REDSTINGER + " Red Scorpion Stinger and one White Tulip.\"";
line 389 -> White Furs & Red Scorpion Stingers

mes "\"Now we need " + @AMOUNT_HARDSPIKE + " Hard Spikes, " + @AMOUNT_ANGRYSTINGER + " Angry Scorpion Stinger and one Yellow Rose.\"";
line 413 -> Angry Scorpion Stingers

mes "\"Now bring " + @AMOUNT_HARDSPIKE + " Hard Spikes, " + @AMOUNT_ANGRYSTINGER + " Angry Scorpion Stinger and one Yellow Rose again.\"";
line 564 -> Angry Scorpion Stingers

mes "\"For the last flower we need " + @AMOUNT_ACORN + " Acorns, " + @AMOUNT_PEARL + " Pearls, " + @AMOUNT_BLACKSTINGER + " Black Scorpion Stingers and 1 Red Rose.\"";
line 590 -> Black Scorpion Stingers

https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... agram3.txt

mes "Did you loose it somewhere along the way? If you can't find it again, go talk to Orum.";
line 94 -> lose

https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... agram5.txt

mes "You reach into your pocket, but you can't find the flower! You're so close to completing you task.";
line 127 -> You're so close to completing your task
Main characters:

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Jenalya wrote:
Cassy wrote:Do you have to kill every single monster from the previous summoning or only until a certain quantity is left?
At the moment you get that message if there are more than 5 of the originally about 85 summoned monsters are left. I picked that number rather arbitrarily and it's open to changing based on the feedback I get from testing. :wink:
Maybe increasing it to 10-15?
When I received this message on the test server I looked for the mobs of the previous summoning and killed them.... two times.
Some mobs are hard to see when they hide behind trees and this area is really large.
Also you hardly recognize the Scorpions and Red Scorpions cause they are just normal monsters and are not aggressive (you realize the mobs that walk towards you easily).

Btw does this number stack?
Like PlayerA summons the monsters and leaves 5 of them, then PlayerB summons and leaves 4 of them so there are total 9 left?

Jenalya wrote:At least the summonings at the fourth and fifth place, and especially the one on Sagatha's map are intended to be rather hard for a single person in that level range, to encourage bringing friends. When the monsters around Sagatha are spawned, there's even a global announcement to make everyone aware the summoning happens.
I tried to make the monsters worthwhile to hunt by increasing the drop rate of their usual drops a bit, and adding some special drops, e.g. gemstones.
I suppose testing the actual dynamics the quest will have on the mainserver is difficult, because there aren't lots of people doing different things who might get attracted by the announcement.
I didn't think about it this way, but this makes the quest even more interesting than it already is.
Seeing it from this view, I really like it and believe that it is very well balanced :D
Main characters:

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Cassy, thanks for the spelling fixes, I included them here: https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... a71c5a6f36 :)

I also adapted the treshold of monsters for allowing a new summoning as you suggested, I suppose it'd be good to test that again with the new value. https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... ea587de5a6

The testserver is up-to-date with those changes.
Cassy wrote:Btw does this number stack?
Like PlayerA summons the monsters and leaves 5 of them, then PlayerB summons and leaves 4 of them so there are total 9 left?
No, it doesn't stack, for one thing all monsters of the previous summoning are killed before the new one happens, and even if that wouldn't be there, the script checks for the amount of monsters being alive, so it doesn't matter which player triggered them to be spawned, but only the total amount.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

When I did it, quest variable was set to 14. Fights were nice, not that hard though, i think they could be harder. I did it with an archer level 60, without that much healing items actually.

However, i wonder how to get the purple tulip Orum demands for the second flower's ingredients... I mean to get it with another way that @item
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Kazenawa wrote:When I did it, quest variable was set to 14. Fights were nice, not that hard though, i think they could be harder. I did it with an archer level 60, without that much healing items actually.
Also the later fights at the last pentagram, and around Sagatha? Level 60 is already at the upper end of the intended level range.
Kazenawa wrote:However, i wonder how to get the purple tulip Orum demands for the second flower's ingredients... I mean to get it with another way that @item
Oh, that's a very good catch. I only looked at the item_db when chosing the the colors, and didn't notice the purple tulip isn't obtainable. :oops: I replaced it with a Pink Tulip.
Does anyone know if the Purple Tulips were used for something in the past, or why they aren't obtainable?
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Jenalya wrote:
Kazenawa wrote:When I did it, quest variable was set to 14. Fights were nice, not that hard though, i think they could be harder. I did it with an archer level 60, without that much healing items actually.
Also the later fights at the last pentagram, and around Sagatha? Level 60 is already at the upper end of the intended level range.
Yeah, taking care, the fight at the last pentagram is doable, even as a single archer. With such levels, my stats were all in dex. But i nearly always play archer, and maybe my try is not relevant, especially at level 60... Around Sagatha that's way harder though, there are many monsters and with the stats I had, delay between two arrows is long...
I'll try it again, as archer level 40. No doubt that it's not that hard as a mage if you have enough powders.
Jenalya wrote:
Kazenawa wrote:However, i wonder how to get the purple tulip Orum demands for the second flower's ingredients... I mean to get it with another way that @item
Oh, that's a very good catch. I only looked at the item_db when chosing the the colors, and didn't notice the purple tulip isn't obtainable. :oops: I replaced it with a Pink Tulip.
Does anyone know if the Purple Tulips were used for something in the past, or why they aren't obtainable?
I don't know at all. Once I was looking for the blue rose. Some player apparently here for a long time told me he has already seen one, probably in ManaMarket as flowers can't be worn. The blue rose is too me some equivalent to the purple tulip, as both have similar description and are marked as "unobtainable". If both are "similar", we may think the purple tulip was obtainable once ?
Moreover, if the concerned player (I don't remember her/his name :oops: ) plays for a long time, maybe if the blue rose (and the purple tulip) were very rare old items, maybe they've disappeared in old left players storages ?
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

Level 99 as my main Char in game

I tested this Pretty diabolic quest Orum and Waric :evil:

The quest isn't so hard to do if player follow the Orum's instructions, Indeed with my level it was easy to kill quickly all mobs and depend the level of players and stats of course.

The Fifth spot was found before the fourth spots so it was easy to go right there :)

OOps, Sagatha is unhappy, Sorry :alt-4:

But, I was happy to tricky the forest just for a while and gained the beautiful rewards for my hair & Gold :)

So, all was working fine (no bug) and I'm hurry to do it in game.
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.