SoM like village tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

SoM like village tileset

Post by tobiasgall »

I recently created a village tileset in the style of Secret of Mana:

I took the colors from SoM to keep that nice & friendly look.

It currently uses 16x16px tiles (I thought tmw uses 16x16 tiles), but I will create a 32x32 version, too.

Any comments?

[edit]
If I could help with graphics development, just send me a message.
It's nice to be important,
but it's more important to be nice!
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

If I could help with graphics development, just send me a message.
You don't need to get a message, you CAN help graphic development :wink:
The grass needs grid killing, sure there are more things than this but this is what catches my eye the most.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Looks very cool as a start, although something resembles too much the original set (the flowers for example). Anyway I'll wait for it to be converted to 32x32, which gives some troubles I think.

Keep the good work :wink:
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:something resembles too much the original set
i'll second that- Image
However, it's not like it's a direct hack or anything. You're good, just over-inspired; what else ya got? (And i personally like how you show progression of your artwork... wall->vine wall->vine wall door... i do that often too.)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:to be converted to 32x32, which gives some troubles I think.

Keep the good work :wink:
Yeah so much trouble in converting size that it's almost worth doing it over from scratch.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

Ultim wrote:You're good, just over-inspired; what else ya got? (And i personally like how you show progression of your artwork... wall->vine wall->vine wall door... i do that often too.)
Currently I'm doing nothing more than doing something with my girlfriend and playing Unreal Tourmnament. Before, I used RPGMaker2000, then I created maps for Half-Life, started a HalfLife mod and then tried to convert it to Half-Life 2. Due to the lack of interest, I cancelled it and created some testmaps for Half-Life 2. And I'm doing webdesign :-)

I think the progression thing comes from Half-Life mapping. There you create a basic wall, add basic lighting, then detail and then detail lighting.
Ultim wrote:Yeah so much trouble in converting size that it's almost worth doing it over from scratch.
I think recreation will be the easiest way. The pots will be hard, but I think I will use only half tiles for them.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

Ok, here we go:
I recreated some parts in 32x32 pixels:

More things will come when I've got time for it :-)

Oh, the flower isn't finished yet. It still needs leaves.

Any comments?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

thank you for your effort. what you got is a good start, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

the grass is just random noise without any real texture. it looks more like a velour carpet than real grass. why don't you use the grass tile from the woodland tileset instead? you needn't reinvent the wheel again. feel free to take tiles from existing tilesets and modify them to fit your purpose. it helps to keep the whole graphic style of the game consistent.

The rocks could need more structure, too. a little bit dithering would make them much better. the wall could need some more detail, too. By the way: you can use alpha trasparent tiles without background for the shadows. it would make it possible to use the shadow with any floor tile.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Looks cool :D
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

Crush wrote:thank you for your effort. what you got is a good start, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.
Thanks! I know that there's much to improve, that's why I'm posting this stuff here ;-)
Crush wrote: the grass is just random noise without any real texture. it looks more like a velour carpet than real grass. why don't you use the grass tile from the woodland tileset instead? you needn't reinvent the wheel again. feel free to take tiles from existing tilesets and modify them to fit your purpose. it helps to keep the whole graphic style of the game consistent.
Ok, I'll do that (with the saturation modification I did in your thread - sorry again :-))
Crush wrote: The rocks could need more structure, too. a little bit dithering would make them much better.
Yeah. I'll try that.
Crush wrote:the wall could need some more detail, too.
I will add detail with a layer, because the mappers can vary the buildings a lot with that. Details could be: lamps, a window, a sign, a barrel in front of it, scratches, wine ranks etc.
Crush wrote:By the way: you can use alpha trasparent tiles without background for the shadows. it would make it possible to use the shadow with any floor tile.
Cool, didn't know that.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm starting to have a headache about where in the world could we place your wall (I'm currently building the world out of stick-it notes, don't worry, I've got it covered for now).

If you're going to develop the grass theme any further, take it in the direction of light and dreamy meadows with lots of beautiful flowers and so.
This message used to be meaningful.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Am I the only one who likes the velcro grass of the second incarnation? :lol:
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

My checklist of objects / tiles I wanna do for the village tileset:

- flowers (multicolor, walkable & not walkable)
- bush (no, not mr. president ;-))
- trees (will get hard to do)
- signs (inn, shops)
- scratches (for walls)
- window (for buildings)
- lamp (on the wall)
- lamp (standing on the floor)
- roofs (with chimneys and smoke (maybe animated) \o/)
- water
- a small bridge
- dirt path
- road
- high grass
- different rocks (small ones, big ones)
- fence (maybe for animals?)
- pots & buckets
- barrels

Any additions?
Rotonen wrote:I'm starting to have a headache about where in the world could we place your wall (I'm currently building the world out of stick-it notes, don't worry, I've got it covered for now).
Hm, maybe you could use it for a small village in / near a forest?
It does not fit into the style of a city imho.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We already made trees, stones, water and some of the other things on your todo list for the woodland tileset. you should focus on the stuff we haven't got yet. Unless of course you think that you can make something that looks much better than the existing tiles.

what i could think of are:
-a palisade as a city wall
-a water mill
-piles of firewood
-ivy at the walls
-tools that are lying around like a cart, a plow, a pitchfork... stuff like that that make the area look inhabited
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

Crush wrote:We already made trees, stones, water and some of the other things on your todo list for the woodland tileset. you should focus on the stuff we haven't got yet. Unless of course you think that you can make something that looks much better than the existing tiles.
You're right, but I think I will modify some existings things a bit, so I added them to the list ;-)
Crush wrote:what i could think of are:
-a water mill
-piles of firewood
-ivy at the walls
-tools that are lying around like a cart, a plow, a pitchfork... stuff like that that make the area look inhabited
Hm, I thought of a rack for the tools, because the rest would look like chaos if the tools are lying around
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

tobiasgall wrote:
Crush wrote:what i could think of are:
-a water mill
-piles of firewood
-ivy at the walls
Hm, I thought of a rack for the tools, because the rest would look like chaos if the tools are lying around
Thats exactly my intention. the more messy a place looks the more it looks as if there were real people living and working there.
  • NOT a game master