Poll: Rollback from today's update, or not?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Roll back or not?

Poll ended at 29 Sep 2013, 00:29

Keep the updated code AND game data.
47%
Roll back to old code version, BUT keep the data and hand-changes.
6%
Roll back to old code AND roll back saved game to Server Time Friday 18:00.
47%

Total votes: 32
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Re: Poll: Rollback from today's update, or not?

Post by Speiros02 »

Frost wrote: The new code choked on some things in the game saves, which caused some people to see their characters were lost.
To solve that, we had to hand-edit the saves and replace the things which caused indigestion.

At this point, the most obvious problem is that people must remove all clothes to trade in the game. Any fix for that will take a few days (and maybe a little longer for testing).

Let's not worry about the new update hosting until someone reports a problem.

So. We need to hear what players want. Here's the question.

Do we keep the current situation and don't trade or such for a few days?
Do we roll back the code change?
If so, do we also go back to the saved files before they were "fixed by hand" to remove certain items?
Okay, so I had to use a different case in my password, my account is still there. I haven't had time to notice any glitches yet in the new system.
Last edited by Speiros02 on 28 Sep 2013, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote: I tried time and time again to get people to go on the test server. What more could I have done?
(It *really* hurt this cause when Frost stopped running the code to test, but eventually we found a new test server)
Maybe if you just try to improve your communication, and try team working instead of calling idiots contributors and people who disagree with you, things would be different.

please Roll back to old code AND roll back saved game to Server Time Friday 18:00
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 12&t=17731
alastrim wrote:Psychodelic, don't freak out. Try your login in different ways. If your login is Depredador you should try it using different cases, like:
Depredador
depredador
DEPREDADOR
dEpReDaDoR
etc...
You will be able to log in with the exact username you registered.
Speiros, if i dont missunderstood you, then I believe, this could help you too :)
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

Ginaria wrote:http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 12&t=17731
alastrim wrote:Psychodelic, don't freak out. Try your login in different ways. If your login is Depredador you should try it using different cases, like:
Depredador
depredador
DEPREDADOR
dEpReDaDoR
etc...
You will be able to log in with the exact username you registered.
Speiros, if i dont missunderstood you, then I believe, this could help you too :)
Yes Ginaria. Thanks. lol. I thought I always used the same case for all my chars, but obviously I didn't in this instance. Cheers.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

t3st3r wrote:
This is NOT an arbitrary problem. In order to have any performance at all, you MUST choose whether your names will be case-sensitive or case-insensitive, consistently.
As far as I can remember eA protocol and overall logic, login we're referring to only (?) used by login server at begin of session. Then most of stuff refers player by ID. So is this change brings any real gain? I'm really doubt someone would ever notice if login would take 0.005 seconds instead of 0.01 seconds. But I bet they would notice inability to login to their account for sure :mrgreen:. Are there any strong performance win to justify possible loss of players from server?

p.s. and I really fail to understand how it has come to stuation where only 1 person takes some key decisions like telling everyone else which features they should (and should not) use, f..king up logins for players etc. I'm really curious if TMWC supports all this, etc. Or they're just some insignificant jerks which are safe to ignore and all should bow down to Platyna o11c's decisions exclusively? Can someone explain me WTF? Sure, it can look like a bitching. But when some bugged and feature crippled thing lands on my head on server where I play I guess I have some reasons to be unhappy, no?
Who cares about player number decreasing dramatically? Contributors who proposed to improve external communication (web site...) have been constantly ignored for a long time. And players concerns were often ignored too because of lack of "the big view", vague "balance" considerations and personal ambitions; not to speak about worse things.
Btw Platyna did'nt interfere with development and o11c took his decisions mostly alone even long time before the move. Platyna interfered with game management (rules, GM nomination) and server administration. Her most important mistakes have been to be absent, and rather "rough" to administrators and sometimes to players too. Maybe it is easier to focus on the login time, case and guild code removal than to spend time to investigate the lag problem and try to find solutions.

Cassy wrote:Also please don't be too hard with o11c... he made mistakes but remember he is the only real code dev
The real question is why is he still "the only real code dev" after a so long time, while there are (and have been) skilled developers around.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
SriNitayanda
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by SriNitayanda »

Cassy wrote:Also please don't be too hard with o11c... he made mistakes but remember he is the only real code dev, has a hard job, spends his free time (like all devs) and code changes are nothing that makes players say "thank you"... think about it ;)
Its true cause from player perspective i dont notice anything that improves my playing experience. i understand that this code change wasn't to suppose to affect my playing exprience directly but rather make it easier for ppl who deal with content and admin the server.
However the code did affect my playing exp, it affects trades, i dont see it also as a big issue getting naked to make trades maybe funny for some days. but as player i feel now like the testing mouse of the new code. in my perspective as player, code was not ready to be released to main. yeah i read the forums and i connect to IRC channel if i have some issues but what about players who dont? i know some co TMW addicts who never visit the forums or the IRC channel, i wonder if they got the message that their ID is not registered how would they react? and what about kids or people who cant read english? these changes had to be seen from players perspective before introduced. maybe for example change the unregistered ID message to something like: "unregistered ID make sure you use correct letter case" (translated to other languages through the client). cause news feed shows up only after you log in. so changes to case sensitivity must be mentioned before log in.
I as myself, dont mind much what happens, i know also other TMW addicts like me will probably continue to play either way, Roll back or bug fixes as we go. but what about players who were inactive for sometime and the players i mentioned above who dont visit much forums and irc.
Now about getting testers to testing servers, i had chat with Chayenne in game and she suggested encouraging players to find bugs by offering them rewards, something silly like tester cap or minor rewards from GM storage for dedicated testers who report bugs. might make some addicts to this game more productive rather than doing the usual candor-cindy-gy-illia runs over and over again.
I voted roll back, though my real opinion is f**k it, we'll get through it either way, hopefully without losing any player.
In control of tmw media (aka @broadcast) and tmw financial sector (aka GMstorage) | also a member of tmw Bilderberg Group (aka Phoenix Council guild)
2013-11/26/#General.log:[15:00] veryape: meh, guild is down, we cant conspire at all
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

[2013-09-27 21:33:25] 009-1(50,34) Chicka-Maria(2163184) : @broadcast If you are having a hard time logging into an account keep in mind the login is very CASE sensitive now. Try capitals with your username.
If I can't connect, I don't get your message. :/ I may have alts though

[2013-09-27 22:17:12] 009-1(50,36) o11c's alt(2197884) : @broadcast I would just like to announce that Frost is planning on rolling back all the data files, despite the fact that it is completely unnecessary
Seems really that you do not care about players who may leave after displaying internal disgreements.

No comment, the attitude speaks by itself.
Last edited by Nard on 28 Sep 2013, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Nard wrote:
[2013-09-27 21:33:25] 009-1(50,34) Chicka-Maria(2163184) : @broadcast If you are having a hard time logging into an account keep in mind the login is very CASE sensitive now. Try capitals with your username..
other people in the game got it with their alts, and i also announced it on the forum.

regards,
chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Chicka-Maria wrote:I also announced it on the forum.
and you were right to do so, Thank you!
I wrote:If I can't connect, I don't get your message. :/ I may have alts though
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

Ok I have stayed quiet for a long time on many issues but here it is.
1) If you really had tried hard to get people to test the new code why did I (an offical) tester never get any sort of message about it? And If you did send messages maybe before I was made tester and it was so important why not send more? It takes 1 click on forums and a short message.
2) Tradeing naked is not bad yes a little funny but how was it discovered that it could even be done that way? I also heard that it still affects stackable items. What about all the people that tried to trade and failed. I know some people do runs 1 person picks u; all the loot and then share at the end. Would that not affect peoples game play?
3)Case sensitvite could be nice but if a player has their name has been saved a certain way since start how on earth can it have been saved wrong. How big a chance is there for this to be an issue? Not being able to get into game is a huge issue. I know some people have been announceing in forums and in game But that only goes so far.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

Ginaria wrote:Some seconds ago, i got this information, probably Void can say more something about it.
"V0id lost storage in 4 accounts"

Yes 4, not 3, not 2, not 1, ITS 4, what the hell is that for an update???
Sorry o11c, normally really like that DEV spend their free time to improve project, but if this message is true, then your update is not ready for main server. Probably Voids account can be repaired manually, but he is surely not the only one. What is with players, who are not playing at the moment and return next month to TMW. How should this be handled. And i dont believe that player did screenshots of their items. How accounts can repaired manually? Who is saying what was inside storage? And thats only few questions...
That's a good example of degraded information passing from human to human. There were 4 accounts with corrupted data, and I was only one of them (I didn't own those 4 accounts).
By today, my storage is back to its original content minus an unknown and unexisting item which corrupted the storage and should never have been there (understand it's my fault for keeping such item).
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I am strongly against a roll-back and I will do everything to prevent it.

Either the roll-back should've been done right away or never. now we have to cut the damage and go ahead with what we got.

There are a few things wrong, they will be fixed in the very near future.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience

with best regards
tux9th
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

v0id wrote:
Ginaria wrote:Some seconds ago, i got this information, probably Void can say more something about it.
"V0id lost storage in 4 accounts"

Yes 4, not 3, not 2, not 1, ITS 4, what the hell is that for an update???
Sorry o11c, normally really like that DEV spend their free time to improve project, but if this message is true, then your update is not ready for main server. Probably Voids account can be repaired manually, but he is surely not the only one. What is with players, who are not playing at the moment and return next month to TMW. How should this be handled. And i dont believe that player did screenshots of their items. How accounts can repaired manually? Who is saying what was inside storage? And thats only few questions...
That's a good example of degraded information passing from human to human. There were 4 accounts with corrupted data, and I was only one of them (I didn't own those 4 accounts).
By today, my storage is back to its original content minus an unknown and unexisting item which corrupted the storage and should never have been there (understand it's my fault for keeping such item).
That's really good news, i happy for you and other 3 :)
The gossip factory is working overtime :D
Player community (or me at least) like to be informed ;)
In my opinion is not the fault of players to keep such interesting items looking like a "?"....
What about accounts of players, who taking a game break at the moment? Or are only these 4 accounts totally corrupted?
So what is the actually state? Still problems (trade-naked bug excluded)? Is it safe to play? Any missed items? Somebody knows?
var
Novice
Novice

Post by var »

Since we are at this.
Can you give these people their towel back too?

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 00#p118100

they are waiting since 2011 for an answer, i saw none so far :) but since you proved you can fix files manually as i said.....
Is there any chance that they can get their towel back if they didnt left the game due to frustration?

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

As there will be no rollback, topic locked.