A whole slew of suggestions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

A whole slew of suggestions

Post by Dr Wahl »

Ok, while I was playing the other night, I started writing down the ideas I had. So... here they are:

---ideas for TMW---

=-Global-=

-sit/Walk/Run : run = 0 heal but walk = slow heal and sit = fast heal
-randomly (slightly rare) monster v monster
-exit to front end (not close)
-Push/Pull rocks, etc. (interactive terrain)
-random (rare occasion) Monster Raid (snake/Big Worm/Bats/etc. attack town)
-Home/Base (Kingdom (Many ppl) OR Castle (few ppl) OR House (Couple ppl)
+Store items
+Safe zone
+Free Healing/mana
-Practice pin (no xp)
-Town Hall
-Completing missions gives (or can give) xp

=-Console Commands-=

-/time OR /date : Show current time/date (localized)
-/suicide : kill player
-/quit : end game (close program)
-/log off : end game (exit to front end)
-/users : display # of users online
-/stats [player] : shows stats of [player]
-/spawn [monster] : spawn 1 (and only 1) monster for current player (only works in "Practice pin")

=-Items-=

-Revival items (similar to "Cup Of Wishes (SOM)" or "Ferries (Zelda))"

=-Scenarios-=

-At Town Hall, random scenarios (maybe funny, serious, scripted, special, player request)
+funny: go kill the "Killer Bunny"
+serious: a child is missing
+Scripted: the town ran out of [name an item] again
+special: Easter Egg Hunt
+Player: Dr Wahl asks that some one brings him 5 stingers (reward [paid by player] is held by town)
-Arena tournaments (pre selected size/prize) invoked by human player, hosted by NPC

I know that is alot of info, but lemme know what you think.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: A whole slew of suggestions

Post by Crush »

> -randomly (slightly rare) monster v monster

i don't know what exactly you mean

> -exit to front end (not close)

when you make a map for it...
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial

> -Push/Pull rocks, etc. (interactive terrain)

a dynamically changing enviroment is a dangerous idea in a persistant multiplayer game. players could get trapped or areas could become inaccessible because of deadlocked rocks.

> -random (rare occasion) Monster Raid (snake/Big Worm/Bats/etc. attack town)

should be possible with the scripting of the new server

> -Home/Base (Kingdom (Many ppl) OR Castle (few ppl) OR House >(Couple ppl)
> +Store items
> +Safe zone
> +Free Healing/mana

player housing is a quite complex topic. if and how housing should be implemented should be discussed in a thread dedicated to this topic

> -Practice pin (no xp)

> -Town Hall

and what is it supposed to do?

> -Completing missions gives (or can give) xp

questing will sure be an important part of the finished game.

> -Revival items (similar to "Cup Of Wishes (SOM)" or "Ferries (Zelda))"

should be in the finished game
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I think....
Crush wrote:> -randomly (slightly rare) monster v monster

Slime: Heyho maggot old buddy!
maggot: wargh i hate you!!!!
slime: :(
*maggots kills the evil rabbit slime

I think he means a return option to the login menu. Why do we need a damn map for that?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:> -randomly (slightly rare) monster v monster

I think he means monsters attacking eachother once in a while. Like scorpions hunting for maggots or mushrooms having a fight over a flower petal they found.

Dr Wahl, I like the player request idea. Although I wonder what would happen if someone would just forget about the quest, or can multiple players solve the quest at the same time? I think that would cause other problems. But we could think of something... I like the idea anyhow. This would get rid of the annoing "I BUY SHROOMS, NEED 5!!!" messages all the time at the town square you always have in MMORPGs.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

ya, the monster v monster idea is that the monster will fight each other on occasion, thus, a more or less free kill for any passerby and it gives a feeling that it isnt the world vs u. to prevent a player forgetting the quest, maybe have a "down payment" for the reward part, as well as a "time limit" as to when the quest can be completed (maybe in days or hours?). as for the question "who can do the mission? (party/individual)" maybe have that be a part of the sign up. you can "sign up" for the mission at the town hall, and at that time you would need to sign up all the party members involved as well (multiple parties could attempt the mission at the same time). the town hall idea is just a bit of a place for things to come about as they may. maybe a new merchant has come to town, you could get the info from the town hall. or missions that players have posted could be at the town hall. or maybe even messages about updates? ( almost like an in game message board maybe?)
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Dr Wahl wrote:the town hall idea is just a bit of a place for things to come about as they may. maybe a new merchant has come to town, you could get the info from the town hall. or missions that players have posted could be at the town hall. or maybe even messages about updates? ( almost like an in game message board maybe?)
hmm, billboards and memos in town hall? Yeah, i like it! maybe u could leave some personal messages which couldn't be read by others only by the person which it belong's to... And here i come across another
suggestion.. What about estabilishing a time in mana world? so that people can meet each other in the exact hour in Mana World and don't have problems with time when they are from different time zones
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

yosuhara wrote:hmm, billboards and memos in town hall? Yeah, i like it! maybe u could leave some personal messages which couldn't be read by others only by the person which it belong's to...
We're planning to have a mail system, I think that would cover personal notes just fine.
yosuhara wrote:And here i come across another
suggestion.. What about estabilishing a time in mana world? so that people can meet each other in the exact hour in Mana World and don't have problems with time when they are from different time zones
I agree we should have a TMW time system. Maybe even different from ours. But people will probably keep communicating using earth's time system because most people adapt their playing behaviour to their real life, not to their TMW life.
But I like the idea of an in-game clock that shows the TMW-time. Especially if we'll have day-night cycles. With (just suggesting) ten dayparts, shops being open from the third to the eighth, bandits meeting in the ninth and people sleeping from the ninth to the second.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

I agree we should have a TMW time system. Maybe even different from ours. But people will probably keep communicating using earth's time system because most people adapt their playing behaviour to their real life, not to their TMW life.
But I like the idea of an in-game clock that shows the TMW-time. Especially if we'll have day-night cycles. With (just suggesting) ten dayparts, shops being open from the third to the eighth, bandits meeting in the ninth and people sleeping from the ninth to the second.
it would be great. Just imagine the possibilities... for example some monsters can appear only in certain time, challenges, quests can be determined by tmw time, arena fights can be announced that they are held in certain tmw time... i think it will help the manaWORLD to be MORE like WORLD...
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

I'll set your village on fire at night time then :D i just hope a rain cloud doesn't come along and put it out :shock:
All your base are belong to us.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Matt wrote:

I think he means a return option to the login menu. Why do we need a damn map for that?
i thought he was talking about some blocked exit on some map.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

ya, the "front end" usually refers to the first (or one of the first) screens u see when u open an application. in games, usually it is a neutral zone that may have music, a slide show, cinamtic, etc. and usually there is no one logged on. this allows the user to have the same effect of closing the program without having to completely reopen it.

the time idea i think is good. many games have had time in them lately such as Grand Theft Auto, Animal Crossing, and my personal favorite, Zelda. maybe we could look to these games to get some ideas, see what we might run into, and how to work around things. because of the mmo setting, the time might need some special tweaks, but we'll see.... :)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Dr Wahl, I started a seperate thread on the subject of time here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 3815#13815
Riun
Peon
Peon

Post by Riun »

just to add my 2 cents, i started playing a little bit, and also thought about a few ideas ..

- a chat system a little bit more complex, for example, the possibility to whisper to a particular person even if the person is at the other end of the module (maybe it is possible, but at least i didn't notice how to do it), and maybe also the possibility for players to create their own channels, and a default one where everyone is .. (now that i think about it, maybe that's what the irc channel is for .. i didn't try it yet ..)

then i met a problem that is probably particular to my keyboard, i'm using belgian french keyboard (in azerty) and i cannot do any of the alt + numbers to get smileys .. (on my keyboard, to get the numbers i'm supposed to do caps + number key .. so alt + number on its own doesn't work, and alt + caps + number doesn't work either .. )

that's all i thought about so far .. might have more suggestions later

good job anyway =)

Riun
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

The more complex chat system is planned.