Game Rules in Wiki

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Re: Game Rules in Wiki

Post by v0id »

On Github, we get immediate notifications that "Person X made commit Y", which allows to react immediately.
The edits on wiki can be made silently which leads to people noticing days/months later that wtf happened... or is there a notification system, for at least those who would want to subscribe to a specific page changes?
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

v0id wrote:On Github, we get immediate notifications that "Person X made commit Y", which allows to react immediately.
...on wiki...is there a notification system, for at least those who would want to subscribe to a specific page changes?
That's a very good point. You can add a wiki page to your "watchlist" which then notifies you of changes. Click the arrow to the right of "View history" on the page you wish to track.
Attachments
add to watchlist.png
add to watchlist.png (19.3 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

As far as I know MediaWiki offers e-mail notifications for items on your watch list. This is either available by default or via plugin, depending on the MediaWiki version.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Yeah, but then they are on an external site and we have maintian links and such where as if they are in the code and reference per the github website via path would be much easier to maintain. So would thinks like mob/item pages as well.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I'll point out that the entire list of people with wiki admin access: https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... roup=sysop

And not everyone who has contributed to TMW can actually push directly to the repositories. That list is: https://github.com/themanaworld?tab=members (though some of them are hidden unless you're logged in as one of them - there are 11 in total).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

Why are you making this into a big deal o11c? Aren't you supposed to trust the other TMWC members not to change rules that have existed since the beginning of this game? Can't you put the tiniest bit of faith into someone running the new website not to make changes to them? That's the purpose of TMWC, to unite a group of people but instead you guys are letting it go to your heads and making yourselves into self made martyrs.

Sit down and work what ever issues you guys clearly have out already and stop bringing your pissing contests to the forums. It's making TMWC and the game as a whole look petty and childish. Quit squabbling with each other, get rid of the chafe and start working on making the game better...not worse.
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Dyna wrote:Why are you making this into a big deal o11c?
Because allowing players who break rules to point to the wiki and say "but the wiki says it's okay" *is* a big deal.
Dyna wrote:Aren't you supposed to trust the other TMWC members not to change rules that have existed since the beginning of this game?
The problem with putting the game rules on the wiki is that some wiki admins are *not* TMWC members. I do not have a security problem with putting the rules in git or elsewhere on the website.

Also, the game rules *have* changed several times in the past. The most recent change was almost exactly 2 years ago.
Dyna wrote:Sit down and work what ever issues you guys clearly have out already and stop bringing your pissing contests to the forums. It's making TMWC and the game as a whole look petty and childish. Quit squabbling with each other, get rid of the chafe and start working on making the game better...not worse.
Do you think I don't know that? But I have realized that there is nothing I can do, certain people will criticize me regardless of what I actually do or don't do.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

o11c wrote:Because allowing players who break rules to point to the wiki and say "but the wiki says it's okay" *is* a big deal.
The only problem is that you vandalized existing attempt (pissing off some editor in process) and failed to provide better solutions, mumbling some crap about you'll do it "later" and putting some weird link to code (the only thing such action could achieve is that some people would doubt mental health of person who does such actions).