Woodland Village (new attempt)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

At the moment I'm going to bark about the fence. I think you should use something more sturdy (and hence larger and more detailed) for it.
This message used to be meaningful.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Might i suggest
Also, the method of having a fencepost as wide as a tile and a repeatable fencepost connector, though arguably hackneyed, is tried and true.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'd also like to see that style from the pic in the buildings too (as I've previously stated, organic shapes instead of sharp geometric ones).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

sorry for being lazy for such a long time.

a demo house with all possible roof curves.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

looks really COOL crush! great job :)

(i just miss some windows :) )
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm starting to give in on the roof, it does look good, but I still don't really approve of the walls. The design is just too strict. The picture Ultim posted could be a good referrence for the kind of wood to use: not-so-processed.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

roof is cool ;) as Rotonen previous said, walls look too strict. also some windows/doors/wall additions would be nice. in that shape it looks like guild building. i really do like it ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

iru? you are still alive? i thought we lost you. any chance that you are going to finish your awesome desert tilesets?
Last edited by Crush on 27 Apr 2006, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

just an experiment:
(the glass of the windows won't stay that way. i am experimenting to find some way to make good looking glass and i haven't found anything yet. but i am quite certain that i will)

other ideas to make the wall less boring are welcome.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm starting to give in to the walls too, but please seriously rethink the rocks.
Are they even necessary?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

i wrote:roof is cool ;) as Rotonen previous said, walls look too strict. also some windows/doors/wall additions would be nice. in that shape it looks like guild building. i really do like it ;)
iru!!!!!!!
my favourite polish chainsaw seller! :D
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well of course the wall was too short in the "guild" building as you probably noticed and improved in the second example. Anyway right into the pixel art, the shutters looks cute enough in my opinion, but they don't stand too much, probably also because of the glass being so dark. Probably a lighter color could improve them a bit.
The wooden wall is not bad, except now that I look at it more closely, it could maybe use some more contrast so the texture is better defined.
About the rocks, I'd keep them but we could also have some other kind of basements for variation purposes.
Fell free to create a door as soon as possible, some signs, lamps, a bell, and so on...
Probably (I don't know if it's the right term and I couldn't find a proper reference image) an underpassage could be cool as well, just an horizontal wooden bar below the roof.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

If you think the walls are to uniform you could always do stuff like have rocks on the corners from top to bottom, make some of the wooden planks diagonal like / and \ and there's also the option of a rock pillar.

But the easiest by far is to have some wooden planks darker or lighter in colour.That's also a good way to give the impression of a new or old building.
Maybe some dots or "stained" parts on the planks?
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i redid the rocks:
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Oh, come on guys, show some respect to Crush... he is doing very well

i think this could be the final version... Everyone can say that he wants something different, smaller, brighter or different coloured and this could never ends... this is just Pre-alpha (if i'm right, if not please don't crucify me :) )so what...
Last edited by yosuhara on 28 Apr 2006, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.