Your Woodland Village Suggestions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Your Woodland Village Suggestions

Post by Crush »

those of you who are following the art graphics forum might have noticed the village tileset that is being developed. i am quite certain that the graphics will be released in the version .20 or .21. here some work in progress shots as an inspiration:
Image Image
(any comments about the graphical design in the appropiate thread, please: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1192 )

Time to collect some ideas about the village. This is your chance to influence the next development step of the mana world. so get creative and think about:

-what could be the name of the village?
-whats the geographical surrounding? (is it on an open plain surrounded by fields? is it in the mountains? in a thick forest? at a river- or lake shore? or maybe even on an island?)
-what important buildings could be in the town?
-what items could be sold there?
-what NPCs could be there?
-what quests could be there?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

maybe something like this?
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Can someone put some of the current woodland graphics like trees and grass beside the houses?
It would make it easier to see how the houses fit in.

I'd like to share some of my ideas about the woodland village but first of all I think we need to decide what type of village it should be.Capital, outpost, lumber camp, farm village, mushroom farm ;) , hunter gathering, inn, hidden rebel camp, bandit lair, native community (Elfs, noble savages ;) , mushrooms, forest guardians etc.) , watchpost and so forth.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

@irucard: wrong thread. post your pic it in the thread in the graphic design forum and i will tell you what i think about it.

@Tarm: here you are:
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... 051226.jpg

I just assumed you were making Jirt and that you knew that. This is one of the reasons I would've liked to do the conceptual work BEFORE the pixellation.

This would probably make the village Macaque.

Offtopic: We'd need a proper new geographically more sane map with roughly about the same features, any volunteers? (Show up on IRC or PM or email me, don't hijack this thread, thank you.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i had a small, politically unimportant village in the northern area of gaeas hearth in mind.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

No, that will most definitely be a really diverse jungle.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1312

And Crush, btw, why didn't you snatch the tree, cliff edge grass and cliffs from that thread?
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Great picture!The buildings looks much better when you see them in context.

Hmm.Cant help you with overall ideas about what the village should be like because we dont have a theme yet but here are some thoughts.
Why not have a part of the village at the river or sea?And have the buildings with lesser rocks foundation inland and the buildings with bigger rocks foundation at the water.Maybe even make the foundation a shoreline.Is a waterwheel doable?That would add great atmosphere.
Maybe a jetty or bridge.

Light house in the sea?Port?

I wonder how it looks if you cut a building in half along the top of the roof and put it right at a cliff.As a lean too or what's it called.

Do we need a chimney?Or should there just be a hole in the middle of the roof?This can add to the theme we want to use.Chimney = civilized.Hole = more "barbarian" looking.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Tarm wrote:Great picture!The buildings looks much better when you see them in context.

Hmm.Cant help you with overall ideas about what the village should be like because we dont have a theme yet but here are some thoughts.
Why not have a part of the village at the river or sea?And have the buildings with lesser rocks foundation inland and the buildings with bigger rocks foundation at the water.Maybe even make the foundation a shoreline.Is a waterwheel doable?That would add great atmosphere.
Maybe a jetty or bridge.

Light house in the sea?Port?

I wonder how it looks if you cut a building in half along the top of the roof and put it right at a cliff.As a lean too or what's it called.

Do we need a chimney?Or should there just be a hole in the middle of the roof?This can add to the theme we want to use.Chimney = civilized.Hole = more "barbarian" looking.
waterwheel would be cool, and your suggestion about shoreline makes me think that we need a.... PORT! :) nice cute port with boats, (drunked) sailors, moles etc. :) and when we have port we certainly need that light house...

and i think all that can safely fit into woodland village
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Thank you for your creative input so far. The creative energy in this community amazes me again and again. A waterweel would be possible when it wouldn't move. The graphic engine doesn't allow animated tiles yet.

But do you really picture those houses at the ocean? I don't think that they look very maritime. When i think about a port town i picture much more aristocratic houses made of stone brics and stable roofs that can resist the strong sea breeze. not straw roofs that would be blown away when the first storm hits the coast.
  • NOT a game master

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:But do you really picture those houses at the ocean? I don't think that they look very maritime. When i think about a port town i picture much more aristocratic houses made of stone brics and stable roofs that can resist the strong sea breeze. not straw roofs that would be blown away when the first storm hits the coast.
I think most caribean houses used to have straw roofs. Something like this:

So I don't think that's an argument.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Do my buildings look very caribbean to you, Modanung?
  • NOT a game master

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Da we need pirates arrrrrrrrrr!
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:Do my buildings look very caribbean to you, Modanung?
That's not what I meant.
You said straw roofs don't fit with a seaside village. I'm giving a reallife example where straw roofs are/were used at the coast.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io