Allow drops in city areas?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Should dropping items be re-enabled in town areas?

Poll ended at 04 Apr 2014, 23:34

Yes
62%
No
19%
Kill all humans
19%

Total votes: 26
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Allow drops in city areas?

Post by AnonDuck »

I was just thinking that not allowing drops in city/town areas is sort of silly.

The restriction was originally added because players would host drop parties in town and all the movement/activity would "lag" people. As in overload their computers and cause lost frames. Computers are faster now. Also drops are now reasonably rate-limited by the server so things can't get TOO crazy.

Turning drops back on would make it easier to give random items(like boots) to newbies without a complicated trade process. This type of random charity is something that used to be very common but has mostly gone away due to the extra difficulty.

It's also fun to sit on a cake and yell at whoever picks it up :alt-9:

Thoughts?

(Note: This isn't an official TMWC/developer poll - This is just me as a player)
Head of the TMW Illuminati
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Re: Allow drops in city areas?

Post by yourmistakes »

I support the initiatives to both enable drops in town and kill all humans.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Voted Yes.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I don't see any technical reason for this ban.

There are still reason not to allow lightning/arrows and suicide bombers in the city, but that's a separate flag.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Drop protection has also another utility: It prevents mistakes around storage areas, especially with new players.
mistakes in those areas may attract stealers.
If this protection is dropped, I will ask to 4144 to make different buttons for dropping and storing.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Hm, wasn't aware that was ever an issue. All storage seems to take place on indoor town maps, so maybe just disallow drops there.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

This is a no-brainer. Kill all humans. Also allow drops in town of course.
It would be cool if squirrels picked up the drops like slimes do, we all know they're evil little thieves anyway!

TMW Team member

bugs
Peon
Peon

Post by bugs »

Yes. Humans shall live.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

1 role-play thief/ scammer over 100 platers is enough to bring suspicion. weren't players who sat on drops?

Also some autopickups allow to pick items without even notice it. Use trade!
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I partially agree with Nard here. We will have to adjust the items.xml a bit to protect Nubbins and Drunk veterans from accidentally dropping stuff they might want in Hurnscald. But also disagree as Trading opens the player up to the same level or jerk player. So I still say allow drops & let the GMs & community sort if out. I'm sure they can handle this kind of responsibility.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

Nard wrote:Drop protection has also another utility: It prevents mistakes around storage areas, especially with new players.
mistakes in those areas may attract stealers.
If this protection is dropped, I will ask to 4144 to make different buttons for dropping and storing.
Nard is right, you could accidentally drop something and someone could steal your stuff, it happened to me when drops were allowed.
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

wushin wrote:I partially agree with Nard here. We will have to adjust the items.xml a bit to protect Nubbins and Drunk veterans from accidentally dropping stuff they might want in Hurnscald. But also disagree as Trading opens the player up to the same level or jerk player. So I still say allow drops & let the GMs & community sort if out. I'm sure they can handle this kind of responsibility.
and how would you suggest the GMs and the community sort it out? There is nothing that the GM can do. There is no way to check who had what in their inventory.

The idea of allowing drops in town is ok, but I'd maintain the no drops in buildings or x spaces within storage. Hell, just allow drops in Hurnscald but leave the drop ban in tulimshar if we have to protect people from their own derp.

On the other hand, is it our job to protect people from themselves?
sexy red bearded GM
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

Voted YES YES YES!!! I Don't see any reason not to allow this :)
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Big Crunch wrote: The idea of allowing drops in town is ok, but I'd maintain the no drops in buildings or x spaces within storage. Hell, just allow drops in Hurnscald but leave the drop ban in tulimshar if we have to protect people from their own derp.
+12: GMs have enough boring tasks to do without adding to them.
Where x is sight range. Town buildings and 001-1 is simpler. IMO, the topic is not worth spending time on it. If some players like risk enough to drop-trade in crowdy areas for anything else than the nowadays rare drop parties, let them try. I never saw a drop party around Nivalis. Hurns is too small for a funny one, bazar must stay protected, the question still hold for center and north Tulim, when crowds of newbies will be there again.
Avenn
Novice
Novice

Post by Avenn »

Kill all humans
Someone once said to me between the lines " You are unwanted here anymore, you are rude, arogant, ignorant, stupid, annoying and worthless person."
And all i can say about it Yes i might be... but that doesnt matter i dont have other feelings different from almighty hate and anger... but in the end its pointless to explain myself.