Super laggy? Playing from europe? try this!

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Super laggy? Playing from europe? try this!

Post by veryape »

--EDIT--
This service has been shut and is no longer available.
--EDIT--

Hello, as a few of you already know I have had problems with lag in-game, after a bit of poking around and trying to locate the troubles I found out that my route from europe to the us was really bad, seems like there is some problems over at level3.net.

So, if you live in Europe and have bad lag, consider switching the server-adress to 188.226.238.204 (check that the "use same ip for game subservers" box is ticked in manaplus at the choose your server screen.)

Now i've also fixed a hostname for it, tmw.dmz.se .. Still up and running and helps me being able to play the game, feel free to test this host out.

It worked like a charm for me, if bad routing to the us is your problem it might help you too.

This service is 100% hosted by me, and I do not sniff your for your names/password, you will have to trust me on this as there is no way of proving it.

---EDIT

Problems I've found:

*Smileys are not where we are used to have them, same weird shortcuts as on the test server
*Online-list is not working properly

---EDIT

Online-list is fixed, the smileys i gave up on, i refrained to just edit my keys in manaplus.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Super laggy? Playing from europe? try this!

Post by Crush »

What exactly is that service doing? Is it your own server or did you set up some kind of proxy relay for the original server?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

It is just a proxy that has a much better route to US than my isp has.

What I have done to be clear is the following

socat TCP-LISTEN:6901,fork TCP:server.themanaworld.org:6901
socat TCP-LISTEN:6122,fork TCP:server.themanaworld.org:6122
socat TCP-LISTEN:5122,fork TCP:server.themanaworld.org:5122

So yes, it is the original server you connect to thru another (hopefully better) route there.

Now i have the same blocks as server.themanaworld.org has, so no one that is ipblocked could use this server to circumvent an ipblock to play,
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

I assisted veryape in setting this up properly and can assure everyone that it is legitimate. Since veryape is a GM and is implicitly trusted by both the community and TMWC I see no issues with this. He can be counted on to appropriately handle any abuse of the service he is running, and will not use the service to abuse TMW or it's users.

It may or may not provide better latency for European users. It is certainly worth a try if you're having issues!
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

If this is official service, why not add it into servers list?
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

About making it official..

As of now it is mainly a workaround for my own problems, as soon as my personal route gets better i might just shut this down if there is not many others that use it. I pay for it out of my pocket and i'm not the richest guy around so if I don't have any use for it i will probably abandon it.

If it becomes official i will feel a pressure to keep it going.

As of now it is a workaround for people that can not connect to the original server because of that ip-range is being blocked by their isp or because your route there is crappy (as is my case).
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

veryape wrote:As of now it is mainly a workaround for my own problems, as soon as my personal route gets better i might just shut this down
Ahh sounds reasonable. Though as for me I see nothing wrong if it would be removed from server list at this point. And I've seen some people who needed similar service as well. But I bet not each and every of them reading forum. For this reason it would be better idea to put it to server list. And IMO server list does not forces you to run things forever, it have to be dynamic and should reflect currently available services. If you have to shut it down - okay, let's remove it from server list at this point. But why not list potentially useful service in well-visible place?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well since these Issues prop and will continue to prop up. I'd prefer if we could figure out the sensible Open Source way of mirrored repositories for updates.

Short term it's just nice to deal with problems like this until we can get a more official set-up going. Since dev time is limited on TMW side, any community or player help in hosting update mirrors would be a great help to your fellow player.

The Development Team is interested (At least me, but it seemed like more)
in figuring this out a solution that works long term.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Bumped for new hostname, tmw.dmz.se
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Since my peering to the US has become much better and I don't have any reason to keep this service alive i will shut this service down.

I will keep it alive for four weeks so that any other people that might use it can find another way to solve their problem.

Hope it won't cause anyone any major problems.
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

I did troubleshooting to find the source of my lags. It is the router at houston. I have asked couple of my friends in tmw to do the troubleshooting and they also conformed the same. There's 30% data loss in houston router. Someone should go there and punch the guy the who maintains houston router.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

tmw.dmz.se is now taken down.

I hope it won't affect anyone badly.

Best Regards