cave and other additions (Yosuhara)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

this is axe in stem (don't ask, this is what translator spit out besides it is obvious from picture) it can be used in a larger area of cutted trees, or near house of lumberjack...or so... :)
U know what? forget it. Just tell me what u think about this picture:

Last edited by yosuhara on 01 May 2006, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Yea, I like it too. Either you're improving or this is just a lucky shot. :)
I think it's a bit dark and too saturated though... too brown. Also the inner wood and the cortex do not have the same colour.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Modanung wrote:Yea, I like it too. Either you're improving or this is just a lucky shot. :)
I think it's a bit dark and too saturated though... too brown. Also the inner wood and the cortex do not have the same colour.
actually, i'm improving my skills :roll:
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i have made a cart. It's still somewhat unfinished, lacks distant wheel and good wood texture, but i'm gonna finish it... And please, don't mind colour of that wheel because i was going to make red cart and this is what came out:

:roll:
Last edited by yosuhara on 05 May 2006, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Angle/perspective is very wrong. It's drawn almost directly from the side. TMW is not a platform game.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Modanung wrote:Angle/perspective is very wrong. It's drawn almost directly from the side. TMW is not a platform game.
i wasn't sure about that angle but in my opinion it's not that wrong...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the official perspective of the mana world, as written in the graphic guidelines, is diagonal from 45°. that would mean a ratio between vertical and horizontal of 1 : 1.4. for practical reasons i usually approximate this to 1:1.5 (about 42°). a flat surface that would be 32x32 pixels when seen from above would be 32x21 pixels seen from diagonal perspective. this checkboard floor i made a while ago is a good example (every field is meant to be a square):
front-back lines are two third as long as left-right or up-down. i use the same ratio for left-right and up-down (dimetric projection).

a 32 pixel wide cube would then be about 21 pixel deep:

sometimes i am sloppy and use not a 1:1.5 but a 1:2 aspect ratio (like at the tree stump). but the ratio you are using for your cart is (when i assume that the cargo area is as broad as it is high) about 1:4.

the problem is that objects with a different aspect ratio just seem out of place. a good (or bad) example for this are the old crates on this screenshot:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... sion_1.png
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

thanks for this wide explanation. So it seems that i must remake my cart :(
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

not everything. you can keep the front side as it is. you just have to redo the back side.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

5 min. scarecrow in the grain field.... I know it's totally wrong and awfull, but it is just for fun :D

Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

You are good at coming up with ideas. You are not so good at graphics. I mean that positively.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ultim wrote:You are good at coming up with ideas. You are not so good at graphics. I mean that positively.
Yes, yosuhara couldbe very useful as a muse... source of inspiration. We had this before with other member, they came with something that needed some improvement but was a good idea and I redid them.
I'm talking about people like Ultim and Tyaedalis, they made the origonal pieces of these:
ImageImageImage
Just encouraging Yosuhara. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yosuhura isn't that skillful yet. but he shows enthusiasm, creativity, talent and learns quite quickly. he could become a quite skilled artist and a valuable addition to the team. he reminds me alot of myself about a half year ago when i decided to learn pixel art to give the TMW project a boost.

this were my first graphics for tmw:
horrible, wasn't it? but with the constant support, critique and help of the tmw team i improved a lot over the last months and became better and better.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think yoshuara has a good eye for things. I really like the general design of that scarecrow: it's immersive (especially the deterioration). Also the general style is relatively naivistic (cheerful, one might say) inspite of the "immersive realism" and that's what we're after due to our inspirations (SoM, SNES/Genesis in general).
This message used to be meaningful.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

At the time I'd like for him to concentrate on the cave additions and especially on the arena tileset improvement that hasn't really progressed. Random contributions are nice but concentration will bring us forward.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1277
Last edited by Rotonen on 24 Sep 2006, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
This message used to be meaningful.