Dropping or making conditional the English in general rule

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Drop English in General Rule?

Poll ended at 12 Jul 2014, 13:06

Yes
23%
No
74%
Lets just amend it
3%

Total votes: 31
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Dropping or making conditional the English in general ru

Post by wushin »

Bottom line seems:
GMs would have to assume the BAN almost always, which I don't think players would like.
or
We get trapped in some horrible logistic nightmare of forum posts and translations.

Either way. I'm convinced it would be a nightmare and changed my vote.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

This question is badly set. Game, forum,irc and wiki are different things with different purposes, goals and requirements thus they have little in common and there is no reason why they should have the same rules set.

People who don't understand english have little to do on forum and irc except some personal requests. Their problem can be solved with the help of other people, I never heard that an issue could not be solved this way.
For wiki a lot of efforts have been made and , if not perfect, there are not many complaints.
For game it is different. I think that some places such as town centers should stay english only while others should be language-rule free. Other mmorpgs work this way or have no rule at all, with no major issue from this point. Anyway, with very few exceptions, I never heard about a ban or a warning ouside these places though many players, including me, transgressed this rule and still do it.
The Language channels could have been a good way to conciliate player's requests and actual rule but we were answered that they would cause moderation problems ( lol), that they were not a server development priority, and that guild bot could solve them anyway (lol again).

I can't answer the question.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

concise crush... concise; agreed. :alt--:
Avenn
Novice
Novice

Post by Avenn »

NO ! i hate english but that rule should stay, i agree with Prsm.
Someone once said to me between the lines " You are unwanted here anymore, you are rude, arogant, ignorant, stupid, annoying and worthless person."
And all i can say about it Yes i might be... but that doesnt matter i dont have other feelings different from almighty hate and anger... but in the end its pointless to explain myself.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

The topic say "Dropping or making conditional [...]", however we're just talking about the complete drop of this rule, what about making it conditional?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Reid wrote:The topic say "Dropping or making conditional [...]", however we're just talking about the complete drop of this rule, what about making it conditional?

It's already conditional. People can whisper in their own language, go somewhere private in the game or use the guilds/partys to speak their own language. It's not like its completely cut off.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Crush wrote:We have been through this a million times in the past. Let me recapitulate it for you:

1. When you have a large online service like TMW, you have to make sure that certain laws aren't violated on it, or you can be prosecuted yourself.
2. In order to do so, you must monitor and moderate public communication.
3. You can only monitor and moderate what you understand
4. For that reason we are forced to assume, that anything spoken in a language the gamemaster doesn't understand is the worst, most illegal thing imaginable.
5. It's hard enough to have a proper GM coverage in one language, we can't manage to cover dozens of languages.
6. To give the players some security what they can and can't say, we decided to use English as the most common denominator.

tl;dr: The "speak english in public" rule is required to comply with the law.
From what I can tell, the "safe harbor" principle applies here, so we aren't required to actively moderate everything, only respond to reports.

Of course, we currently don't have a viable method of verifying reports.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Spinning this around.. What's wrong with things the way they are?

EiP is one of the least enforced rules. It's not like people are being banned left and right for breaking it. The GMs and players generally don't care what people are saying amongst themselves while out in the forest hunting... When the GMs feel the need to understand what's going on around them they can request EiP and voila! The system seems to work very well as it is.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Meh of course it should stay as it is.
Wasted effort to think about it again, see Prsm's, Crush's, etc. posts.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
aleex5
Newly Registered User

Post by aleex5 »

took little time here in this game and I'm giving that here discriminate other languages ​​donot as they want the game to expand by communities in different countries, if when you're in the game will probably ban simply echo to speak another language

PD: I speak Spanish and I feel discriminated against for speaking a different language
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

aleex5 wrote:took little time here in this game and I'm giving that here discriminate other languages ​​donot as they want the game to expand by communities in different countries, if when you're in the game will probably ban simply echo to speak another language

PD: I speak Spanish and I feel discriminated against for speaking a different language
While personally I appreciate your opinion I can hardly believe that you seriously feel discriminated for not being allowed to speak another language than english in public in an MMORPG, which is more or less a standard rule for many MMORPGs.
Let's say you would prefer being also allowed to speak spanish.
That's fine, I can understand that, but yet there are the problems Prsm and Crush and the others mentioned that enforcing the rules would be very hard or not possible if we'd allow that.

Also it's still allowed to speak another language in whispers/Parties/Guilds.
I wanted to speak German in public too some times, but just whispering that person in German does the job.
Also I'm member of a German speaking guild that more or less gathers German speaking members.
There is no need for me to speak German in public, no one would understand* except the players I can whisper or group-chat in the guild tab.

*Not understand what those weird German/Spanish/French/etc. speaking players write also makes people feel uncomfortable btw.
I don't really see allowing other languages in public as community binding topic.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

aleex5
Newly Registered User

Post by aleex5 »

Cassy wrote:
aleex5 wrote:took little time here in this game and I'm giving that here discriminate other languages ​​donot as they want the game to expand by communities in different countries, if when you're in the game will probably ban simply echo to speak another language

While personally I appreciate your opinion I can hardly believe that you seriously feel discriminated for not being allowed to speak another language than english in public in an MMORPG, which is more or less a standard rule for many MMORPGs.
Let's say you would prefer being also allowed to speak spanish.
That's fine, I can understand that, but yet there are the problems Prsm and Crush and the others mentioned that enforcing the rules would be very hard or not possible if we'd allow that.

Also it's still allowed to speak another language in whispers/Parties/Guilds.
I wanted to speak German in public too some times, but just whispering that person in German does the job.
Also I'm member of a German speaking guild that more or less gathers German speaking members.
There is no need for me to speak German in public, no one would understand* except the players I can whisper or group-chat in the guild tab.

*Not understand what those weird German/Spanish/French/etc. speaking players write also makes people feel uncomfortable btw.
I don't really see allowing other languages in public as community binding topic.
but it is absurd in many cases the rule
for example if a gm is two 2 people speaking another language gives them just for that ban
but not every insult or speak badly
also if you do not know English and I gm speaks to how much a serious answer fast hello in English but if you speak other things would not have thought that says
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

aleex5 wrote:for example if a gm is two 2 people speaking another language gives them just for that ban
Sure, but the problem is how should a GM know if your insulting each other or talking about the weather?
(Also you don't get banned immediatelly, just "warned" ;) )
Main characters:

bagzie
Newly Registered User

Post by bagzie »

Cassy wrote:
aleex5 wrote:for example if a gm is two 2 people speaking another language gives them just for that ban
Sure, but the problem is how should a GM know if your insulting each other or talking about the weather?
Why should GM give a Duck?

Example: two guys are training in caves by themselves and speaking some language. Then a GM appears and forces them to speak English.

That sounds so Duck up to me.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

bagzie wrote:
Cassy wrote:
Why should GM give a ****?

Example: two guys are training in caves by themselves and speaking some language. Then a GM appears and forces them to speak English.

That sounds so Duck up to me.
Maybe I misunderstood his english translation?
I was thinking about the case when two players talk to each other in another language while being in town.
If they are alone in a cave I agree - maybe the GMs already ignore such cases?
Main characters: