Serene's Item Suggestions.

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Serene
Newly Registered User

Serene's Item Suggestions.

Post by Serene »

As many of you may know, i've not been a player for that long, but as i've been playing, i've seen some things "I Think" would make the game better or in this case, some Items that would be an interesting addition.

1. Equippable Bat Wings.
Everyone knows how crazy Arkim is, and how he just loves bat wings, which is why i think him giving out a wearable set, isn't that wierd.

2. Make the Lower half of the Sorc robe Dyable a different color than the top.
For those that have a Sorcerer robe, I'm sure you may have noticed that the back of the robe is.. well a bit bland in comparison to the front, Might i suggest it being any color you want? perhaps adding a colored sash of the same color as the trim? or both. It's currently my favorite item in the game, and I'd like to see it improved.

3. More Robes.
I'm not sure if any of you have realized this, but for mages, there's not alot of options from 1-85,
you have the Silk Robe, and nothing else up to 85. isn't that a long time?

4. Dyable Striped Stockings
Considering most of the game has a somewhat cartoony near anime feel, wouldn't it be nice to have some white/red long socks for use with the Santa outfit? or perhaps Green and white for the elf costumes, or maybe just to match your sorcerer robe. I think it's a good idea.

5. StaffScythe
Call this more of a personal want, but i think a Magic boost added to the scythe, or perhaps a magic scythe, would be a nice add.

6.Shorter Version of the Fine Dress.
The Fine Dress is a great item,as it helps fill in the blank between the silk robe and the sorcerer robe for mages, but in terms of customization, it's only colorable, wouldn't it be nice to be able to have Lora Tay make it short enough to see your shoes? and able to be either long or shortened.
I'm not implying like miniskirt length, I'm implying long skirt length.

7. More weapons
One of the first things i noticed about this game, is the lack of variety between usable weapons, you have knives,a staff, a scythe, some swords and bows. Perhaps adding some more in via the vendors would be a good idea.

8. Cat tail
This one is just a curious one, but why have the ears and not the tail? shouldn't they go hand in hand in a game like this?

9. Warlord Pants and Gloves
I've passed by many Warriors with armor and always wondered, Why isn't the set complete? it's quite strange to have a set of armor and it not be completable.

Anyways, that's all i can think of now, if anyone has any comments about my suggestions, post them below, I'd like to know what people think of these changes. or even if they could be considered.
Relm
Novice
Novice

Re: Serene's Item Suggestions.

Post by Relm »

Technically, I think there might be some difficulties with a number of these, considering how many issues we already have unresolved with things as simple as hair and bows. Of course I'm not a pixel artist, they know what they can do.

One thing that I think needs stressed here is how few cosmetic options mages have. You say low level mages have few options but in effect it's even worse for high level mages, rather than better. Yes, theoretically, we could keep wearing silk robe, or sorcerer robe, or fine dress, or nothing, at level 90-99, but if we have a lazurite robe, that's just going to end up being extremely weak, similar to if an archer used a shortbow or a warrior used the knife. And lazy robe doesn't even come in different colors like the silk robe did. I don't to wear the same exact robe as every other mage, especially when it just looks like a lab coat. So, we need options, and I think a reasonable step in that direction would be to avail different colors for lazy robe. Also, different colors for silk gloves would be just dandy, even if it looks exactly the same as the cotton ones.

Edit: I think another solution is to nerf lazurite robe and buff mages as much as is necessary to compensate. It's unreasonable to call the "Sorcerer Robe" such when sorcerers don't wear it, archers wear it. And low level mages are at a really huge disadvantage when they get cut so many times on their resources: once to transmute their iron to powder, once to the number of ingrav strikes per powder, and once for the damage each ingrav strike deals. It ends up being a large divide.
Serene
Newly Registered User

Post by Serene »

I completely agree with you on the lack of Customization for mages, As a mage i wear my blue/black sorc robe and i don't even wear my silk gloves because they clash so much, Colorable Laz robe would be nice i agree, but i still have around 20+ levels til i can even consider wearing one.

Another Suggestion. Birthday Hat!
gator
Peon
Peon

Post by gator »

Some good ideas here definitely - the mages do need a bit more color for their robes I agree or at least more options for clothing. I also like the idea of dye able silk gloves.

Serene - I especially liked your ideas for dye able striped stockings, more weapons, and completing the warlord armor set. I've always wondered when they were going to finish the Warlord set! I was so glad to see when they did the boots. Still more to go...

If it would be possible I would love to see dye-able striped stockings, especially in black and another dye able color such as:
red/black, pink/black, purple/black (the purple would prob have to be a lighter purple to distinguish the colors better), blue/black, light green/black, orange/black, yellow/black, light blue/black, blue/black, etc.

It may be easier to see with white instead of black. Horizontal stripes may be difficult to see on stockings anyway, but would be very cool if they were done right.

And I've always thought wings and tails would be fun if they were possible to do.
Serene
Newly Registered User

Post by Serene »

@gator I Really like the idea of the black/color stripes, but i think White/color should also be an option, as it allows red/white for xmas or green/white for st patricks day and so many more combinations.

as for the wings/tails, that may actually need another slot or two to make work, but definitely possible, as it would allow cat tails to match the ears, or somewhat of a stretch, devil tails too. angel wings could be added to counterbalance the bat wings and dog ears to counterbalance the cat ears.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Hi, some of those ideas are quite neat.

However i just want to warn you that pixel art and striped items are not a great mix. Just look at the kilt that became the skirt for this game. It is nearly impossible to make striped wearables.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Serene
Newly Registered User

Post by Serene »

hmm, i don't quite think it'd be impossible, look at the fine dress for example, it has that white lining at the bottom, if that was say.. repeated going upwards, it would have a similar effect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

veryape wrote:Hi, some of those ideas are quite neat.

However i just want to warn you that pixel art and striped items are not a great mix. Just look at the kilt that became the skirt for this game. It is nearly impossible to make striped wearables.
It's not nearly impossible, it would just request many time for tmw to do it given its actual artist number. The kilt was a fail because the one who was doing it searched the easiest solution (applying the same pattern on every frame instead of drawing these frames manually).
One with enough patience could do it, but the question is "is it really necessary?".
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Serene
Newly Registered User

Post by Serene »

I think all sorts of items can be useful, maybe not necessary now, but could be later, for example, the striped socks could be white and red for the christmas girl look, or white and green for elves at xmas time
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

We are attempting to adopt the Manaplus itemcolors system which would help extend a bit more of the items for customization. You may have notice some work on this when we had the test for the RaceSprites on Test.

But hopefully in the future, color options will be less of a issue.
http://manaplus.org/items.xml?s[]=palette

Currently in order to create a new color variant we have to add a new item to the client & server data. Quite cumbersome, but the itemcolor system allows you to declare a range of colors for an item while only adding 1 item to the server and client data.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Serene
Newly Registered User

Post by Serene »

That sounds great wushin, hopefully you get that finished so alot more items can be unique to the player.