Few Questions

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
The Doctor

Few Questions

Post by The Doctor »

I've been looking at this engine for some time now reading as much as I can. I was wondering a few things I haven't been able to find in the wiki or by crawling these forums using the search function.

1. What is the job system built into TMW? I noticed you have levels and a job level while exploring it on my own test server.

2. I do plan on making a game with this or another engine. I noticed that the sprites are 64x64. Is it easy to change them to 32x32 or is this hard coded into the client/engine?

3. No class system or is this actually what the job system is?

4. Is it easy to change the name of the stats as well and to add in more?

Thank you for your time in answering these questions.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Few Questions

Post by wushin »

The job system is legacy from Eathena, an earlier project we forked from. We currently use it to create point values to allow to spend to level skills.

The sprites are images in the client data. Otherwise I'm not sure what your asking.

Correct, classes system. Stats and Gear make the class along with which skill you are focused in.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

It is the sprite size im asking about. As mentioned in the wiki

https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Dev:Playersets

It states that the sprite frame size is 64x64. I personally don't like those sprites. So I was wondering if that was hard coded into the system or if that is actually based on the sprite sheet itself. So if i created an npc/player sprite that used a 32x32 sprite frame like in RPG Maker XP, if it would work correctly.

Classes - Thank you for this infromation. So if I wanted to add in a different type of class I'd just have to come up with what stats and gear would be used by that class.

Thank you again for the information.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

O yeah, the sprite size is the size you declare it in the client. Mind you if you want to use a smaller sprite I'd suggest looking into the LPC set on OpenGameart.com As if you resize our images the gear will look real weird. Plus OpenGameArt LPC is much easier to use in a project without worry about getting sued or a DCMA takedown. The only time the server cares about size is for collision. I believe that is still fixed in size but o11c would be a better person to ask.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It should be possible to use smaller or larger sprites, but the tilesize of 32x32 tiles is quite hardcoded, so when you use much smaller sprites, it might look strange when they move in increments larger than themselves.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Crush wrote:It should be possible to use smaller or larger sprites, but the tilesize of 32x32 tiles is quite hardcoded, so when you use much smaller sprites, it might look strange when they move in increments larger than themselves.
As for movement is it not pixell movement? If so it shouldn't look to weird. Also 32x32 tiles is what I used when I started with RPG Maker and they used 32x32 tiles and 32x32 sprites as well. So hopefully it all works out.

Thank you for the links to open game art. As for DCMA I'm not to worried about it right now for it won't be but me and my team testing the server and game out till we get everything replaced for our own personal game.

Thanks for all the answer everyone.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Manaplus does allow you to do some things to fool the player as to the size of a sprite. As the targeting cursor has a couple of different sizes. http://manaplus.org/monsters.xml
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Thanks for all the answers and help. I do have one last question about the stats. Is it easy to edit the names and add new ones?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

which names? Can you be more specific?
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Any of these names for stats.

https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Stats

Its just that We don't use the normal names of stats. Like in the documentation instead of Agility we use Speed. I'd like to keep the names of the stats the same as what me and my friends have discussed.

Also to add stats based on the four elements as well.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

The Doctor wrote:Any of these names for stats.

https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Stats

Its just that We don't use the normal names of stats. Like in the documentation instead of Agility we use Speed. I'd like to keep the names of the stats the same as what me and my friends have discussed.

Also to add stats based on the four elements as well.
Add you stats without changing client and server no.

Rename now no too. But i think possible add way for stats renaming.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Thanks for all your answers. I'll have time tomorrow on my day off from work to dive into the source code and see how easy/hard it will be to do the things I want to do. Once again thanks for all the answers.