Alchemy and Potions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:And to add more frustration to the players: some ingredients should be at their best when they're fresh.
Old ingredients might have special abilities as well. Such as rotting apples containing alcohol. Thinking about the ingredients age we could add ways to stop/slow or accelerate the ageing process. Like putting maggot slime in a jar or adding maggot eggs to an apple.

I like the idea of the need to prepare certain ingredients rather then just adding them to a potion. Like boiling, cooking or distilling.
Also it would be cool if ingredients don't have an effect connected to it, but chemicals. By distilling a solution the concentration of the chemical can be increased. For example you can distil 3 healing potions into 1 strong healing potion. Or 1 healing potion and 1 mana potion into a potion of rejuvenation (adding both HP and MP). You can also split 1 strong healing potion into 2 normal healing potions using water.
Multiple chemicals could have the same effect. Like Chemical A, B and C all restore your HP, so a potion with both chemical A and B just heals extra. Some chemicals might react into another chemical when mixed, the effect might be totally different. Like Chemical A + C -> Chemical D, D being a poison. I was thinking maybe chemicals might react inside the player's body is well, so quaffing A and C right after eachother won't heal the player but slowly hurt him. Quaffing chemical E (E being an antidote to D) after that will make D + E react into a neutral chemical or even chemical B.
This could be combined with Rotonens idea to add colours. Chemical A being red, B being yellow, C being green. An A/B mix potion would be orange, A + C would react into D being deep purple. The concentration could be displayed by making the potion less transparent.
If we will have the ability to throw a potion chemicals might have different vapourisation levels. Like potions that don't vapourise are good for igniting using fire arrows or spells, potions that turn into vapour really quick are good for affecting the creature from the inside... like sleep potions or poisons. Most potions can be used on weapons, so you can have sleeping darts or a poisoned axe. The effect wears off after a certain amount of attacks. In case of ammo you get a seperate pile of affected shots.

It's like a mix of Angband, Oblivion and real life. Maybe this is all too complicated, but I like it.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Crush wrote:how do you want to keep anything secret in an open source game?

the only way would be to put the reciepts into an external file and not to put this into the server package. but that would mean that anyone who want to open a new server would have to create his own reciept file.
I'd like for there to be a generic template for server admins, but I'd like to keep the recipes of our "official public server" a secret. I think most other server admins would like to keep the recipes a secret too.

And as for the complexity of crafting skills: I don't think they can be too complex if we use common sense in designing the systems. The complexity just adds challenge and makes it more interesting than the average crafting systems.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

but a system that is so complicated that you need a university degree to understand it can be frustrating for the average gamer. And the more complex a system the more difficult to balance it.
Last edited by Crush on 08 May 2006, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Simple recipes will be simple. Crafting stuff is not for everyone in any case. Everyone will have to find their own field to specialize in.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

We should be able to manipulate ingredients at molecular level :P
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:We should be able to manipulate ingredients at molecular level :P
I don't think we need that kind of presision in TMW. I don't think they had nano-technology there and then.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

where and when is there and then?
All your base are belong to us.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

you mean when this will be ingame? such complex gameplay additions won't be implemented before the new server software is running.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

No, I think he is meaning that the world isn't all that defined yet.
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

Rotonen wrote:No, I think he is meaning that the world isn't all that defined yet.
Yeah.
All your base are belong to us.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Yes, I meant the setting of the game's world.