Unfinished boots spriteset-Needing love

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Unfinished boots spriteset-Needing love

Post by Pajarico »

EDIT 17/NOV/2006: I'm not going to finish this. In case anybody wants to end the boot's spriteset is free to continue from my work if wanted.

Last edited by Pajarico on 17 Nov 2006, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Xephys
Novice
Novice

Post by Xephys »

Great work! But IMO they are a little too thin, but thats just my opinion.

:)
To eat or not to eat, that is the question!
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Xephys wrote:Great work! But IMO they are a little too thin, but thats just my opinion.

:)
There is no other wy to do them, really. I layered them on top of the playerset and they fit.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Re: Boots done

Post by yosuhara »

Pajarico wrote:Image
hooray, we only need motion-sample :D
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think the community will just magically pop up the motion sample at some point.. ;)

That aside, nice to see stuff done.
This message used to be meaningful.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

In Gimp you can create an image in which each layer represents a seperate frame.
So all you have to do is add a layer for the background colour in the set select a frame from the set, 'copy visible' and paste as new. Then just keep doing 'copy visible' for every frame and paste it inside the newly made image, press the 'new layer' button while the pasted frame is still shown as a floating selection. If you have all frames pasted in seperate layers you can save the image as a GIF file. Gimp will ask you if you want to save it as an animation.
After you've done that you can reopen it to change the individual frame duration by editing the layers' names.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

About the boots...
I'm sorry to say I think they look like socks. They're too small, they're almost exactly the size of the foot. In my opinion they should be stirdy, give the player balance, make him battle ready... not make him look like he just got out of bed.
I did a single frame pair of boots just now. Let's compare 'em.
Yours:

Mine:

See what I mean?
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i think modanungs look much better.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I did a try with wider boots and IMHO they look a bit goofy. I understand what you mean but from a start I don't understand what a pair of boots like that make in the desert :) so I made some boots that looked not so strong because the basic equipment should be that, basic. Maybe having yours as a upgrade?

The foot that is sided should has the rear wider, the other looks ok to me.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Well then they shouldn't be called boots but hardened socks or something. Because I don't understand what a pair of boots that doesn't really support your ankles or protect your feet would do down there at all. :)
I also worked on a pair of sandals some time ago that isn't finished yet. That's pretty basic footwear, right?
ImageImage

If you make your boots slightly lower, black and add a little woody-stringy kinda thing they'd be viking boots:
I guess that's the kind of boot you meant. But it doesn't look like the boots from the inventory, so we could just make two or three kind of footwear.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Because I don't understand what a pair of boots that doesn't really support your ankles or protect your feet would do down there at all.
My pair of boots protect the foot and support ankles, is just the way you see it.

Yours are exaggerated, and I don't mean that they don't work, probably represent better a robust boot than mine. We disagree in the view, I go for some logic (size, wide, tall), you go for a comic view -and take this as a compliment- :they're as tall as the knee which the item is not and its outline is a pixel wide which is not reallistic.

You used some abstraction and made prevale looks over logic, I made the contrary.

They are different views of the same thing, none of them neccessarily wrong.

On other order of things, I think the basic footwear should be just a piece of cloth rolled up on the feets.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Considering that our inspiration is (or should be!) Secret of Mana, isn't Modanung more correct in context to portray the logic through the comic filter?
This message used to be meaningful.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Rotonen wrote:Considering that our inspiration is (or should be!) Secret of Mana, isn't Modanung more correct in context to portray the logic through the comic filter?
And I said exactly that, that their boots looked more correct in a comic context. I didn't think they were bad, I just said that the fact his boots were more fitable weren't making mine wrong, that's why I compared both visions.

As I was writting this I came with a longer-than-us :lol: subject that can be followed here:
clicky

I'm gonna say in short: I feel very frustated. But instead of whinning about it let's try to mend the situation. Follow the thread and discuss.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

they look nice
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

It'd be neat if Modanung's boots became the boots the player wore and the original Pajarico boots became a monster... named Pajarico Boots. O:-)