Poll, Vote here

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Should players who got account perma banned for speaking foreign language be given 2nd chance?

Yes
44%
No
39%
Yes but with punishment
17%

Total votes: 18
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Poll, Vote here

Post by deepthought »

Should players who have been perma banned(only characters) for talking in different language other than english should be given a second chance ? I raise this question because players who are even more worse like Jat Lee have been given second chance. Jat Lee scammed players !!!
Last edited by deepthought on 10 Mar 2015, 09:17, edited 3 times in total.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
cerc
Newly Registered User

Re: Poll, Vote here

Post by cerc »

I voted yes, because i think thats no reason to get banned.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Source: https://www.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ublic_chat
Speak English on public chat

The punishment of these infractions should follow a strict set of consequences:

First offense : Warning
Second offense : Warning, and an @kick from the server
Third offense : 1 hour ban
Fourth offense : 1 day ban
Fifth offense : 7 days ban
Sixth offense : 30 days ban
Seventh offense : Permanent Block
I think that's very fair.
So actually they don't get a second chance, they get seven ;)
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

I know the importance of enforcing rules but at the same time German, Spanish and other servers have been down for some time and most players are comming here. This is an oppurtunity to get back the golden days of TMW. Unless these new foreign players who cant speak english are comfortable here, they will leave. I know we can't please everyone but just think about it. That's all i say.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

deepthought wrote:I know the importance of enforcing rules but at the same time German, Spanish and other servers have been down for some time and most players are comming here. This is an oppurtunity to get back the golden days of TMW. Unless these new foreign players who cant speak english are comfortable here, they will leave. I know we can't please everyone but just think about it. That's all i say.
Isn't this what you are looking for then? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18282
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

Yes but lot of things have changed since then. Why not vote again. It doesn't hurt anyone.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

deepthought wrote:Yes but lot of things have changed since then. Why not vote again. It doesn't hurt anyone.
Personally I say no just because we had that topic so many times already and the result was always the same since the occuring problems don't vanish all of a sudden.
But of course you are free to ask again, that's your right.

But you should really change the poll ;)
You're asking to give perma-banned language offenders a second chance while they get seven chances before getting perma banned.
Main characters:

prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

I am unaware of anyone ever being perma banned for not speaking english, not one person.
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

AFAIK Pool was banned for not speaking in english. I dont know if it's permanent ban or not.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Pool was banned 2 times, all for chat spam, which doesn't really count.

[2013-11-10 00:56:23] 009-2(25,103) Pool(2231119) : @autoban Pool 1h (chat spam)

[2014-10-30 22:09:23] 052-2(32,39) Pool(2231119) : @autoban Pool 1h (chat spam)
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Avenn
Novice
Novice

Post by Avenn »

add 4th option "who cares", i would vote for that one.
Someone once said to me between the lines " You are unwanted here anymore, you are rude, arogant, ignorant, stupid, annoying and worthless person."
And all i can say about it Yes i might be... but that doesnt matter i dont have other feelings different from almighty hate and anger... but in the end its pointless to explain myself.
Meicchi
Novice
Novice

Post by Meicchi »

Another option would be "No one is banned for speaking a 2nd language". They're banned because they can't obey simple rules that are showed in several languages (surely people playing this game knows one of them at least) in the beginning of the game, or just don't reading them at all. They are banned because they are unable to answer a GM in any language during a botcheck or using groups and guilds to communicate with compatriots.

So people is banned because they're idiot.
Find me in-game:
  • * Puncake (main) - light path mage, lv 79, she is actually a pumpkin
    * Meicchi (retired?) - slow speed archer, eternal lv 70 and Ginny's bastard twin
    * Fluttersly - rage warrior, lv 58, knows no jokes and has a mane
Brazilian Portuguese translation coordinator - Make part! / Faça parte!
https://www.transifex.com/organization/akaras/dashboard
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Pt:Main_Page
Spoiler:
Yes, imma noob.
Cassy's official fan-clubber
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Meicchi wrote:Another option would be "No one is banned for speaking a 2nd language". They're banned because they can't obey simple rules that are showed in several languages (surely people playing this game knows one of them at least) in the beginning of the game, or just don't reading them at all. They are banned because they are unable to answer a GM in any language during a botcheck or using groups and guilds to communicate with compatriots.
That seems to be quite reasonable.
Although:
So people is banned because they're idiot.
I do not agree here.

Language is part of identity. Subpressing languages other than US english is somewhat subpressing personality and identity. Speaking a language other than US-english is not idiotic, it is simply an expression of personality and identity. Things that are very important.

I know and agree that it is technically necessary to read and understand the rules, and to understand what a GM wants to tell you and to answer in a way the GM can understand. This is mostly to be done in english. So english should simply be kind of common sense. Encouraging speaking english in public would be o.k., enforcing it by being banned otherwise i do not consider a good idea.

BTW, i think, speaking more than 1 language is something very very desirable. It opens your horizont, you learn new ways of thinking and new ways of seeing the world. Something that can't be overestimated. Tolerating non-english languages would add the chance to learn much.

So in general, if not technically required by a GM, i would tolerate non-english conversation. It would add to the fascination of this game. If it is technically necessary, and the player is not able to speak some english, then we surely have a problem here. But then maybe some other player could help.

In countries where several languages are spoken often we have an official language which is used by governement, police, court and the like. This is quite o.k., and in most cases those people do not only speak their native language, but they too speak the official language. In the rare cases where not, there is an official translator.

I know the phenomena, that people not speaking the same language are often considered idiots. This is in Germany no different than in other countries. This is bad and wrong and should not be like this here.
thusmark
Peon
Peon

Post by thusmark »

@narutouchiha: A bit confused here. Do you want to increase the amount of chances the offenders are given from 7 to 8 or do you want to unblock all accounts that have been banned for this reason previously? If the former, it hardly seems to make a difference unless you are suggesting that the offender's chars be reset on the 7th offence and permaban only on 8th offence. If the latter, Prsm already said that nobody has been permabanned for this offence, so this poll would make no difference.

When a GM botchecks somebody, I'm pretty sure that they don't insist on English. As long as you respond, it's fine. The language barrier can be a problem only if the person who is being checked is being very suspicious. For example, their movements might seem completely automated, yet they might answer. Well, not that difficult to make a bot that says simple things whenever a char comes close enough, or makes some emotes. In this case, a GM might ask for a specific answer and the language barrier could be a problem. But such cases would be few and I believe we can leave it to the GMs we voted for to solve them correctly.

@Siegfried: TMW doesn't ban somebody for not speaking in English. They are just required to not speak in any language other than English in General tab when they are in a crowded space. If you want to talk with a group of people in your native tongue, you have whispers and guilds (okay, guilds could be better). You don't need to use the General tab. One can as easily talk to someone or some people in one's native tongue without breaking any rules. And nobody would complain if some people were in a secluded spot and were talking a language other than English in General. These things are simple, but not doing them means that the person hasn't tried to understand the rules. Now, wouldn't you call such a person childish, if not downright stupid? And even then, the GMs give 7 chances to these people (actually, you'll find out that they give much more than 7 ;)).

In many cases, players were found insulting other people in their native languages. Now, a GM who does not know the language would not be able to warn them for insulting, but they can warn them for not speaking in English. Same goes for spamming. Seems xenophobic? Not really, just a community doing its best to maintain order. This leads to insulting and spamming in Whisper? Feel free to Ignore. As things stand, I feel the community's previous decision on the topic Cassy showed is the correct one.
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Well, i still think things could be better.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18282&p=147537#p147537

But if you really want it like it is, feel free to ignore this. I personally have no problems with english.