Ice Cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Ice Cave

Post by Crush »

Forked from this thread:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=105
Crush wrote:wasn't there something about some kind of glass desert on the wiki? crystals would fit there, too.

but i would picture that crystals in some kind of ice cave.

just played a bit with color modifications at the good old cave tileset:
ElvenProgrammer wrote::shock: ... :shock:

This is what I call a very cool idea. Well done Crush, it seems the frozen part of the world is growing a lot, the new version should feature a village and a dungeon as well. Let's hope to have suitable monsters in there.

If you don't plan to work more on the tileset, feel free to send me the map and tileset so I can work on them.
yosuhara wrote:nice map, but i think we need also some kind of ice creature which lives in frozen land, reminds me of your little two legged fury creature Crush
Modanung wrote:Furball anyone? :)

I think the tileset needs more work. The floor should be less saturated and I think it should flow into the walls, if you know what I mean.
I understand it's just a quick recoloured version. Just saying, before this gets the stamp "Final" on it.
Well, this was just a 5 minutes hack job. i just changed the hue to make the brown walls blue and then i made them brighter and increased the contrast. but when you insist, here it is:
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/icecave.zip
yes, all the stuff that isn't brown looks very strange now.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

another thread hi-jacking avioded by crush!
I think people need to focus on the arena tileset most right now.
All your base are belong to us.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The ice cave looks a bit too "bleached" to my taste.

Turning the black back into black could help.
This message used to be meaningful.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Turning the black into black, yeah. You could also add more sparkle and shine to the ice instead. Would make it more ice-y. Make it catch the light a little.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Furball anyone?
Here's a quick pixelized version. It's 40x40 I couldn't find the standard dimensions for a charachter sprite (though I didn't search thoroughly).
The details aren't done properly though they seemed to come out okay.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

The texturing and shading looks lovely to me. About dimesntions, you shouldn't really care about them, "I hope", the new animation system should have somewhat eliminated restrictions.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

That's nice.Should add some fun factor.Im starting to hate bats.Another experience grind monster please. :)
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Cosmostrator wrote:
Furball anyone?
Here's a quick pixelized version. It's 40x40 I couldn't find the standard dimensions for a charachter sprite (though I didn't search thoroughly).
and just try to animate it :D
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Unfortunately diagonal directions are not supported :(
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Cosmostrator wrote:
Furball anyone?
Making a sprite is not scaling a piece of concept art, colorising and tracing it. Also I think it's a little bit too big, I think 30-32 would be better.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Modanung wrote:Making a sprite is not scaling a piece of concept art, colorising and tracing it. Also I think it's a little bit too big, I think 30-32 would be better.
Though having the monster a tad on the round side will add variety. We don't want a bunch of rectangular monsters, now do we? :wink: I do see your point though. And... as long as you trace in every pixel by hand, I don't see a problem with tracing. The big problem is taking that tracing and then applying it to four different directions including animations. Any pixel artist worthy of the name can do that though. :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

making the four directions is the smallest problem. Animating the thing is where you find out that tracing isn't the best way.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Crush wrote:making the four directions is the smallest problem. Animating the thing is where you find out that tracing isn't the best way.
Nobody said he would trace every frame of the animation. I see tracing as a great starting point, from which you can take the project into many new directions.
Pauan
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauan »

Cosmostrator wrote:It's 40x40 I couldn't find the standard dimensions for a charachter sprite (though I didn't search thoroughly).
In general, developers work in multiples of 4 (8, 16, 32, 64, etc.) though theoretically we could use any size sprite. Personally, I think you did a great job. Now you just need to do as good a job for animating it and getting all four directions looking good. :wink:
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

32x40 version also pixelized with many fewer colors.
Making a sprite is not scaling a piece of concept art, colorising and tracing it
I read through the pixel artist tutorial. I was more interested in seeing if there was enough interest in the small version to put the time and effort into creating an entire sprite. I've found that a lot of what is offered without interest on this board gets passed up.
Now I think I will work on a hopping animationImage, then an attack.
One question, I'm working on Mac OSX, does anyone know a good program to create the animated gifs in?
-DAVe
edit:put in v1 of hop animation