Arena map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Which arena design would you prefer?

arena like
75%
dungeon like
25%

Total votes: 28
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Arena map

Post by tobiasgall »

Hi everyone,

a few months ago, I decided to create an arena map for TMW. In the past, I did some design tests on paper, but I didn't like them.

So, I wanna ask the community for design help.

Which arena design would you prefer?
- like an arena (e.g. like in rome): one "room" which is cleary arranged, one height level and some details

- like a dungeon with several rooms, maybe different height levels, teleporters, complexer architecture like in an old castle or an area in a forest

Then, two questions to the devs:
How big should the arena be? Is it for 1on1 (25x25 tiles), 2on2 (50x50 tiles), guild-on-guild (75x75 / 100x100 tiles)?
Another thing is the design. Should it look like the existing tileset or yould it be an arena in a forest, too?

I just don't know how I should design the arena. There are too much possibilities.
It's nice to be important,
but it's more important to be nice!
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Re: Arena map

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

tobiasgall wrote: Then, two questions to the devs:
How big should the arena be? Is it for 1on1 (25x25 tiles), 2on2 (50x50 tiles), guild-on-guild (75x75 / 100x100 tiles)?
I'd go for 1on1 since we don't have guilds.
tobiasgall wrote:Another thing is the design. Should it look like the existing tileset or yould it be an arena in a forest, too?
You can do whatever you want.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think arenas should be different throughout the world. Like a forest arena has height levels and little bridge constructions. And a desert arena is more like a simple sandpit.
Just examples.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I think there will be arenas AND dungeons in game if anyone bothers to make them, so I think this poll is quite pointless. :) However; let's make arena first.

Regards.
Rezmont
Peon
Peon

Post by Rezmont »

I like them both arena for even plan land and dungeon types for an arena with obsticles
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

ok, then I'll first work on a forest arena.

With a small spring, trees, stones and some hero statues :-)
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

There is already arena map partially done - you may use it in your work, it is in distribution already.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

tobiasgall wrote:ok, then I'll first work on a forest arena.

With a small spring, trees, stones and some hero statues :-)
When you want to make new trees and stones then please try to make them in the style of the rest of the woodland tileset. so we can use the tiles from both tilesets together without creating weird style inconsistencies.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

Ok, here I got a first WIP screenshot from TilEd:

http://misc.tobiasgall.de/forestarena.png

I know that the trees look like each other, but I liked that in the console games (SoM, Zelda, ...), so I'll keep that.

Things to do:
- add some more details inside the arena
- add some more details outside the arena

Any comments? :-)
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Dont forget some kind of an entrance. It's a very good start!
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

EJlol wrote:Dont forget some kind of an entrance. It's a very good start!
For this, there will be two teleport platforms, so you don't need a special entrance to the arena.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

you should use the tiles with the support columns (in the middle of the 2nd row of the tileset) for the south edge of the horizontal bridge. and the vertical bridge tiles with the rails are not intended to be walkable because it is possible that the player sprites overlap the rail in a strange way. but when you use them anyway you should terminate them with the appropiate tiles and find some excusion to block the two tiles at the sides of the bridge head to avoid sprites "walking" over the rail.

but you did a good job with the cliffs. i consider them the most complicated tile group of the whole tileset. they even give me a headache from time to time although i made them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Nice start... but there are some things I don't really like.
I think the cliff is too straight, should be more curvy... and less tall.
And overall it looks too natural for an arena. It looks more like a clearing in the woods then a designated arena. I think it could use some more pieces of cliff around the sides with palisades (from this tileset) in between them. And low fences for the spectators to stand behind.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I rather wanted to make an underground arena using the map we already have with some enhancements, why not use it?

Regards.
Rezmont
Peon
Peon

Post by Rezmont »

Like how its coming along keep up the good work ^^