Arena map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Which arena design would you prefer?

arena like
75%
dungeon like
25%

Total votes: 28
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

ok, next version.

http://misc.tobiasgall.de/forestarena2.png

Fixed things:
- smoothing the bridges (created some new tiles)
- reworked the cliffs
- added more outside detail
Platyna wrote:I rather wanted to make an underground arena using the map we already have with some enhancements, why not use it?
Tat's because I like bright and friendly maps. So my arena will be bright and friendly, too. Someone else could make an arena mainly using the arena tilest.
Modanung wrote:And overall it looks too natural for an arena. It looks more like a clearing in the woods then a designated arena. I think it could use some more pieces of cliff around the sides with palisades (from this tileset) in between them. And low fences for the spectators to stand behind.
I wanted a natural look. But I didn't make any concept of a spectator area. Will the spectators be NPCs or real players? I ask, because it would be impossible for real players to have an overview of the whole arena.
It's nice to be important,
but it's more important to be nice!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

why don't you use the lower density flower tiles, too?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

Crush wrote:why don't you use the lower density flower tiles, too?
I started to use them on the right side of the map.

In the first step, I add one kind of each plant's color. Then, I'll start varying it.

In the new version, there will be more variation :-)
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

ok, new version - close to final.

http://misc.tobiasgall.de/forestarena3.png

Todo: Rework the both teleport tiles (they're a bit tricky to pixel, because they should look magic).

I know, the "arena" looks like pure nature.

What I forgot to say:
I didn't want it to be a real "arena". I wanted it more to be a player-vs-player area. And what would be better for a pvp area in the forest as a part of the forest itself? :-)

Spectators have some place on the cliffs.

Now I could vary the fighting area, so it looks more like an arena (if you want that). But I like my version :-)

The map would look nice ith some fog :-)
http://misc.tobiasgall.de/forestarena3b.png

[edit]
I did a small test for a more arena-like map:
http://misc.tobiasgall.de/forestarena3c.png

Which map is better?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

version A looks in my opinion a bit TO nature. There must be a big open place where you can fight. (read no trees, just some stones, small statues and flowers as eyecandy)

version C is just the opposite. I thinks it looks a bit TO human made. maybe you can make something between version A and version C?

About version B. The fog really fits in the area although I dont know the engine support it at the moment.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I don't underestand why is arena supposed to be "friendly" it will be a PK map there will be evil PKers roaming around. ;}

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

maybe we should add some bones and skulls laying around or rotting corpses impaled on rusty spears...

just kidding.

to make pvp a little bit more competitious we could add a little price for it. we could place a single weak monster on the map with a respawn rate of some minutes that always drops an unique item. we could make collecting as much of these items as possible a contest. people will try to kick each other out of the pvp arena to be able to collect the most of these items.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

EJlol wrote:The fog really fits in the area although I dont know the engine support it at the moment.
I don't know if the engine supports this, but I added it in the GIMP. It gives a more mysterious look to the map.
Platyna wrote:I don't understand why is arena supposed to be "friendly" it will be a PK map there will be evil PKers roaming around. ;}
Maybe I could add some bones and broken weapons, so it looks a bit darker (in combination with the fog).

Here is another version. I removed the house, widened the spectator area and added some stuff within the arena.
http://misc.tobiasgall.de/forestarena_arena.png

How is this one? :-)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

no, the engine does currently not support any fullscreen overlay effects. But it would maybe not be a bad idea to add this. i already experimented with some single color overlays to simulate night and it looked quite good.

edit: i sent my draft for it to the developer mailing list. when elven gives the ok and when it passes the coding style nazis internal review system without too many complains i will very likely be finished coding it before the release of 0.0.20.
  • NOT a game master

tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

ok, got the map running :-)

I could need some bone tiles and more broken weapons for the arena. Could anyone do something like that?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

sounds like a job for yosuhara
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:sounds like a job for yosuhara
not right now, i am going to England and i will be there without computer and without time to work on anything... so see u all in september... :roll:
tobiasgall
Peon
Peon

Post by tobiasgall »

If someone wants to do further work at the map, you can now download it.

url: http://misc.tobiasgall.de/tmw/tmw.tar.gz

I currently have a little few spare time, because I' moving to a new, bigger apartment a few buildings away. :-)

And in addition, I want to start my own small SoM based game (I'm currently in the conception phase, and I recently started to look for a good engine).
More information would be off-topic, so please PM me if you want to know something more ;-)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Crush wrote:maybe we should add some bones and skulls laying around or rotting corpses impaled on rusty spears...
Actually that would fit a PVP map like a glove, an idea worth developing. War and violence are never pretty and hence any sort of a battleground should not be either.
This message used to be meaningful.