Manaplus Icon

Development discussions for TMW's official client, alternative clients and client adaptations.

Nard
Knight
Knight

Manaplus Icon

Post by Nard »

After a first trial which looked more as a flag:
Manaplus 1.png
Manaplus 1.png (4.59 KiB) Viewed 9720 times
I propose this one:
Manaplus 2a.png
Manaplus 2a.png (18.21 KiB) Viewed 9720 times
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Manaplus Icon

Post by WildX »

Looks more like a cross than a "plus" symbol.

TMW Team member

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I isa crusade cross intended to symbolize bith role play and the "+"
M is a gothic font for the same purpose..
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

To resume what I said on IRC before and while Nard was present:
- The overall work is a on a great quality, nice job
- The gothic/crusade style is maybe not what represent evol the best
- We need something which could work for both tmw, evol and other servers/forks
- We need to concept the logo in first time before to draw a concrete one
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

New version:
  • Changed the cross to a + in the same font
  • Add a bit luminosity to the red
  • removed lens effect
Manaplus 2b.png
Manaplus 2b.png (15.76 KiB) Viewed 9703 times
Manaplus 2b_32.png
Manaplus 2b_32.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 9703 times
Reid wrote:We need to concept the logo in first time before to draw a concrete one

Here are the specifications I tried to follow:
  • Suggest the ManaPlus name, At least as good as the previous one did.
  • Stay compatible with various servers.
  • icon/Logo must stay simple.
  • must be rescalable.
  • suggests role play/fantasy if possible (thus the gothic font)
  • A round global shape to suggest a world.
The metallic frame is a wink to mac-ish icons and mac is with, xerox workstation, the first platform designed for the user. Mana plus often fits the first editions of apple guidelines.
I had first the idea to draw a virtual world map such as TMW's one (or just Argae's) but they don't rescale well or . I finally chose the first evol outside map because it fits the specs and the shape suggests a tree or even a mob. I don't think that this choice makes the link between manaplus and evol appear more important than it is. The best would be that reasonable TMW leaders give their opinion about it. ;)

In my opinion, the ManaPlus name makes the link between the mana "family" of worlds, dead or alive, and also with it's origins (mana). It is difficult to make much more.

The svg file is available to evol contributors here: http://tinyurl.com/manaplussvg2b
refs:
http://robert-pfeffer.net/schriftarten/ ... index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Libertine (Linux Biolinum might be a good alternative)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_softw ... _typefaces, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ty ... code_fonts .
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Better! I still don't like the "m" covering the tree. Maybe it should be covering only the roots or something.

TMW Team member

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

WildX wrote:Better! I still don't like the "m" covering the tree. Maybe it should be covering only the roots or something.
I have no satisfying solution to this point. "M" and "+" must be big enough to catch the eye at small size. Tree is decor only.

Edit:
Other propositions after Wushin suggestions:
Manaplus 2d-2e.png
Manaplus 2d-2e.png (43.77 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
svg file: http://tinyurl.com/manaplussvg2e
Celtic font: http://fr.fonts2u.com/celtic-plain001001.police
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

After some comments, another one. (not sure if I understood well).
Manaplus 2f.png
Manaplus 2f.png (24.7 KiB) Viewed 9675 times
I had also this one :lol: :
[...]M look like ass
I must admit it is true alt27 (I thought to weeping willow and a greek "phi").
edit.: I tried to edit the bottom :P, but it leaded to unwanted advertizing for a well known hamburger distributor :/
Link to svg file: http://tinyurl.com/manaplussvg2f
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

It's getting much better! I prefer dark orange for the "+", and perhaps playing around with different fonts could be good too, but I like it overall :)

TMW Team member

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Another one with fantasy font which avoids the confusion with letters Ф (cyrillic and greek). the M letter is nice but would require a higher saturation at small size.
The overall balance between text and image is changed. :/ Changed the frame to a brassy one.
Manaplus 2g.png
Manaplus 2g.png (24.09 KiB) Viewed 9660 times
svg file: http://tinyurl.com/manaplussvg2g
wishMF font: http://fr.fonts2u.com/wishmf.police
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I'd say it's almost perfect. The "m" looks a bit too stretched though. We'll also need a smaller version that's not just a resize.
Sorry for just pointing faults, it's important for Manaplus to have a good logo! I appreciate the work :)

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WildX wrote:I'd say it's almost perfect. The "m" looks a bit too stretched though. We'll also need a smaller version that's not just a resize.
Sorry for just pointing faults, it's important for Manaplus to have a good logo! I appreciate the work :)
That's a development section, that's not made to be friendly. :>
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Thanks WildX :) Don't be sorry to say what you think, the goal of this thread is precisely to have critics and suggestions that can lead to a good result.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I don't think the tree in the background is a good idea. Especially at smaller sizes, it makes the M+ unreadable. If the tree is really important I would suggest to have 2 icons, one small and one big. The small one without the tree, and a big icon with the tree, but stylized instead. The smaller icon also needs a thicker frame around, it's quite invisible at the moment.

I like the new M+ fantasy font (including the stretched look).