Sign at startup.

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Sign at startup.

Post by Tarm »

Could we please have a sign that says "Official language English." or something similar?At the startup.
I would also very much like the sign to say "Dont ask everyone for a sword.".
Today is a bad day.Im killing Giant Worms for experience and if I have to rest I've started to hide somewhere to be alone.It's not good when you start to hide from other players in a morpg. :roll:

I know I shouldnt complain and I too have asked for help to get a short sword but I have not run around asking everyone.Strangely enough when I stopped asking a very kind person offered to help me.That's not the only time I've had help and all the help I've had I got without asking.Hopefully I will get a strong enough character to help people get a sword soon.At least that will shut some of them up. ;)

If you havent noticed Im a bit testy today. :roll:
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

I think I agree with the "Official language English" sign.
King
Peon
Peon

Post by King »

Maybe when we have a private messages feature and when someone connects to the game, there could be a message in the chat box saying something like: «Only English allowed in the main chat» because you can't forbid someone to speak with their friends if they don't know english. And if there are always people begging you stuff it's because there are a few good players that can give them the stuff they want, and I think that's another issue of a game in development so if you try to help them maybe there will be less people annoying you.
Hello. Wazzup?
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

King wrote:Maybe when we have a private messages feature and when someone connects to the game, there could be a message in the chat box saying something like: «Only English allowed in the main chat» because you can't forbid someone to speak with their friends if they don't know english. And if there are always people begging you stuff it's because there are a few good players that can give them the stuff they want, and I think that's another issue of a game in development so if you try to help them maybe there will be less people annoying you.

Im not saying we should ban all languages except english.Just inform players that most people (Is that true anyway?) that play speak english and that's the prefered language.

As I said as soon as I get high enough level I'll start helping people get the darn sword.After all that's the thing they always ask for. ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i am afraid the most common language on the server is portuguese, at the moment.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

So I have noticed. Quite interesting actually :?. Wonder why that is.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Dont know if it's interesting.But I do want to know what oi means.They keep stalking me and say that.Usually I respond with -English please. but they keep going oi on me. :?

Is Portugese a language?I thought they spoke a variant of spanish or something.Otherwise I keep meeting people that want to speak french with me.They're as bad stalkers as the brazilians where. :roll:
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Of course it is a language. "oi" I think is something like "hear me", they do it to stop you and start a conversation... and ask you for swords :wink:
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Thank you.That clear things up a bit. :)
I think I'll answer the next oi'er -Oi!English Please!. ;)
Could use a macro right about now.(Hint hint.) ;)
King
Peon
Peon

Post by King »

Well, I am Portuguese (not Brazilian). Actually «oi» means «Hello». I could try to guess why there are so many Brazilians, check out this site http://superdownloads.uol.com.br/download/i36482.html . That is a very known site among Brazilians and maybe that's why there are so many of them playing.
Hello. Wazzup?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

it may also be related to this thread:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=1054
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

i am from brazil , and in brazil ( for those who don't know ) we speak portuguese and "oi" mean exacly like "hi" . isn't everybody that know english , so if someone say "oi" and you ask them to speak english and they continue speaking portuguese is because they don't know english ¬¬

i think that the people should speak the language they wan't ( except with NPCs ). if 2 spanish people wan't to talk spanish i think they should be allowed to do this.

you can't make the people speak a specific language this sounds like "prejudice" for me.

and Tarm portuguese IS a language . in brazil we apeak portugues , in africa in portugal... ¬¬

garoto burro , meu deus.... ( essa pros q entendem portugues )=P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

LEG0LAS wrote:i think that the people should speak the language they wan't ( except with NPCs ). if 2 spanish people wan't to talk spanish i think they should be allowed to do this.
i've got nothing against it when people speak in whatever language they want when talking in private chat channels (we haven't got yet).

but the problem is that when one language becomes dominant on the server it leads to exclusion of the people who don't understand this language and they will eventually been driven away. a good example for this is the european ragnarok online. over the time german became the dominant language. many people who didn't spoke german felt excluded and left the server. now almost everyone but a small italian minority is german on the european RO.

that's why i think that english should be enforced as the language spoken in public on the server because english is the language the most people should be able to speak.
  • NOT a game master

Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

LEG0LAS wrote:i am from brazil , and in brazil ( for those who don't know ) we speak portuguese and "oi" mean exacly like "hi" . isn't everybody that know english , so if someone say "oi" and you ask them to speak english and they continue speaking portuguese is because they don't know english ¬¬

i think that the people should speak the language they wan't ( except with NPCs ). if 2 spanish people wan't to talk spanish i think they should be allowed to do this.

you can't make the people speak a specific language this sounds like "prejudice" for me.

and Tarm portuguese IS a language . in brazil we apeak portugues , in africa in portugal... ¬¬

garoto burro , meu deus.... ( essa pros q entendem portugues )=P

Im not an idiot.If someone ask me something in a language I dont understand and I ask them to speak english but they continue in their language I realise that they dont speak english.Perfectly fine, I have nothing against that.The problem is if they keep following me and asking me in their language.I say "-English please." because I dont understand what they are saying and that will not change if they start nagging me.

Im not prejudiced.I just want the nagging to stop.A no is a no is a no.Some people seem to think Im lying when I say I dont understand or cant help them.That's the thing that gets to me.
Not most players.Some.

People playing a online game that dont speak or understand english is another thing I have a hard time understanding.These people obviously have access to the internet and since most of the content on the net is in english most should at least understand basic english.Often I get the feeling they just cant be bothered speaking english.

English is one of the languages that most people speak and/or understand.Online it is the biggest language.I dont think it's unresonable if the prefered language is english in the general chat in a online game.

Fun that there is a portugese language.I like it when the dominant languages like english, french and spanish doesnt get to much influence on other languages. :)

Cranky again. :(
I should probably stop posting when Im in this mood. :roll:
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

do you really think if everybody speak english will change something ???

they will continue nagging you, but in english ... ( i think you got the wrong point , i understand you , they are nagging me too , but make they speak english will not make them change. )

i think 90% of the brazilians that are playing mana world now were playing "Tibia" before. and in tibia is extremity normal ask for items to others players.

i don't know how to change this , in english or portuguese they will continue asking you sword and items and everything.

about :English is one of the languages that most people speak and/or understand.Online it is the biggest language.I dont think it's unresonable if the prefered language is english in the general chat in a online game.

i don't agree. if you know english , good to you , it will be better to negociate with the other players but why don't you let them speak portuguese in the chat ? whats the problem ?

so when you login put a messange like this : "You can just play if you understand english."