An official notice

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

An official notice

Post by Rotonen »

I'll be leaving for mandatory military service on Monday 10th July 2006 (lasting for 6, 7, 9, 10, 12 or 13 months) and I cannot avoid it or I'll get thrown in jail. (Finland gets a yearly notice from Amnesty International about that and civil service is not really an option since the employers do not think kindly of people who took that route out of the mandatory service.)

I'll be gone, but I'll try to leave you with at least some ideas:

1) I feel that storywise Dabe and Pajarico are the greatest authorities and think the most along the same lines I do, so if it is up to me, I'd like for them to be the main authorities on story and world building.
2) At the moment we're conceptually so diverse that I think it would be best for the project to let the story department build for a while and once we have a lot of stuff written, the conceptual side should be inspired so much that they start to produce usable ideas naturally without really having to stretch for it. (Although we do have some quite active artists at the moment and I'd like for you to keep up the pace: ideas are always good for the health of the project.)
3) Once the conceptual side has started to build up, the same thing should happen to the pixellation front. (Well the authorities on this front know it already, but I guess I have to state it: Modanung and Crush. Iru too if he is not too busy with his life. Take care of our other pixel artists as you have so far and things will go just dandy.)
4) And naturally this also categorically applies to mapping, too.
5) At the moment, our soundscape is really dull, we would really need to find a person to correct this.
6) The most important thing for the artistic front of this project: We really really need a recruiter slash staff manager. Why? Because we need new people, we'd need someone to keep in contact with people (especially those who have not become active on the forums or in IRC) more than we do now and also to efficiently keep track of things to be done and assigning those to idle people (this also includes getting produced work used in the game ASAP, this is an area in which we have lacked a lot so far).

That about covers all of what I have in mind at the moment regarding TMW. These are not orders, just ideas. Take care! (And remember that I'll be on leave every once in a while to check back on you... :twisted:)
Last edited by Rotonen on 25 Aug 2006, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
This message used to be meaningful.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Let me be the first to say that we will miss you, and your absence will be noticed. Be safe out there :)
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

I have been speaking with my cousin about the possibility of joining the team, to help manage among other things, the workflow and group communication. I hope that we can figure out a good time to schedule some Q&A time on IRC or something. I'm trying to run out the door at the moment though, so without adequate introduction.. Here is my cousin, by the name of 'rapier'

*applauds and throws kisses* :D
Rapier
Peon
Peon

Post by Rapier »

I'd like to thank the academy, my producers and ... oh ... not that speech? You sure?

Hmm. Anyway.

Heya. I hear y'all are having some project/content management issues. I've got about 10 years of experience in large scale software development. I've also done my share of coding, both regular coding efforts, MUDs and other online games, websites, database, XML, java and more languages than I want to admit (and date myself).

I've worked with all kinds of crowds on all kinds of programming efforts. I also understand that not everyone works through all the officialness.

I think there might be a good fit here and am looking forward to discussing this more with y'all.

r
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Hi Rapier and welcome to the forums.

The problem we have is more related to content creation rather than management since at the moment the number of items and general data stored on the servers is minimum.

dabe,
I received your message. Have you expanded the story you were written?
Let's set a date to have a meeting, any date is good to me.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Omg one of the columns of TMW is gone. We'll miss you sir!

Rapier: welcome, feel free to contact me and join IRC for every needs you could have.

dabe: since I didn't see you in some time, let me say I really enjoyed your story and I written some comments somewhere. If you feel ready we could maybe move the development into a wiki page (I didn't check if you already did it yet)
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

understand sir!

I'll help. Now I got some ~free~ time, so I think i could help u ppl a bit :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Long story short:

I got out of the army for health reasons.

The result? I'm back... :twisted:
This message used to be meaningful.