Happy Birthday TMW

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Happy Birthday TMW

Post by Merlin »

Dear Mana beings;

I would like to congratulate The Mana World on it's 14th birthday.

Unfortunately, this project as it currently is will be absorbed into Evol. I purpose that in one more year tmw "classic" or "legacy" gets frozen.
They revert back to the classic sets that they kept in game data and just keep it running for shits and giggles.

I think that's there plan,but I'm not sure. I would hate to see it ever shut down but I think maybe perhaps after some time when Evol has finished it's plan for adapting the original world....

The few people that are behind and barely holding on to the project have done a tremendous job of keeping the project still going even when there's no one there.
From what I can tell in the few months that I've been back into the mana world community that there is only a few people even doing anything on the project.
4144-Well, He's always in the code man....
Gumi-Gm pretty active
Prsm-Old school GM. Regular and on point as should be.
Freeyorp-Always been kinda semi active over the years. Handles a bunch of stuff I probably don't see.
WildX-Now this guy took on kinda being leader while yours was MIA. Big props.
Micksha-The one lone pixel guy they have.
There's others I see that all work on stuff in there own way as well.

The legacy server is pointless for long term development. We can have so much more fun with the new stuff.

Evol is a good game and all but I just have some different ideas on how the game should be in many regards.
I am keeping certain things from the original tmw that will not be in the inclusion to the new merged game.
The cool thing is that we both plan on having the same areas that we already have currently in tmw. There use to be so many people that played this game over the years. Most of them left due to such a slow rate of progress. I haven't had the time to level and actually play too much of Evol so I can't say how they have it but on my server this is going to change dramatically. I plan on having any content that is produced originally for World of Avalon also be made in a version that is complaint with Evol. This is in the current plan for my 1st new sets to both games. The Woodland Inn and the remake of Diamonds Cove.

The World of Avalon has come with some problems thou from a technical viewpoint from my understanding. You see TMW classic aka TMWathena or eAthena is different then the current Hercules server that we use now. The monsters, items, and NPCs all use a different method or syntax. This is where my partner is spending most of his time right now. I'm about 40% done with the land graphics overhaul. A project that is more ambitious then I thought when I undertook it.

Two very old players who have progressed great in there skills are going to bring forth a new Mana world based game in totally new yet familiar way.
We've both seen this project mature into something that is much capable then when we ran into it many years ago.

I'd say more but I don't have the time for that right now. My buddy and I have to catch up to a point when we can give you guys something playable. :)

Sincerely,

Merlin.
(Tmw-Contributor) Dimond's Cove,Oscar's Farm,Crypt Tile-set edit, etc.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Happy Birthday TMW

Post by WildX »

Ha! You beat me to it. Happy Birthday TMW! :D

I started playing in October 2008 and played for only a few days before almost forgetting about it entirely because of school. After a couple of months I decided to give it another try since the atmosphere of it was unlike any other free game I had tried. After that I became really involved (one could say addicted) to it for the next three years. In those three years a lot of cool stuff happened. I made new amazing online friends, I met Reid and Ariana and we founded the CRC. One day Reid decided to make her own fork of TMW based on an older game she loved called Evol Online. We still loved TMW, but at times it seemed like it was never going to go anywhere, so Evol felt like the version of TMW that had a future. We spent the next years in between the two projects up until the merge happened, turns out neither project had a future without each other.

I cannot believe that I started playing as a kid and am now an adult still hanging around here. Is it sad? Maybe. I promise I have other stuff going on! :lol: I guess I'm just used to TMW after quite literally growing up with it. I still want to see how far it can go from here. Every game I've ever played was branded as "dying" by its community, but it turns out none of those games has died yet. I'll link you to this post when we celebrate 50 years. :P

It's pretty impressive for this small free game to reach the age of 14, especially after all it has been through. I've always known that TMW had a few special qualities that could make it a real phenomenon among free-to-play games; maybe it hasn't boomed as I had hoped, but those qualities have kept the ship afloat for this long and maybe under the right circumstances it will find its big break at some point. If not, I'm still glad that the small community around it gets to enjoy this little gem of open source games.
Spoiler:
Also, just to clarify: TMW Legacy is a server, while TMW is the whole project. Moving servers and merging with Evol is part of TMW's content update which has been planned for much of the last 14 years. It was initially called "CR1" (Content Release 1) but development on that failed. This is kind of like a second attempt for that, but it's still very much just a content update and it's still very much "The Mana World". The server that we now call "Legacy" was always meant to be temporary.

TMW Team member

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yhea. 14 years as a tempory game. Lol not bad imho.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Still waiting for the SoM-like ring menu :-)