Contributor applications

This section is for the organised reporting of bugs or any sort of issues found in the test server.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Contributor applications

Post by WildX »

In the spirit of Open Source, any player of TMW can get involved in its development. Most of our greatest devs started out with small contributions here and there; many of them started with no prior knowledge and learned everything along the way.

If you want to be added to the contributor group please post your contributions here to make it easier for us to evaluate the entire bulk of your contributions without having to track them all down. You will be eligible for contributor rewards.

If your contributions are not deemed enough, don't take it too hard, you'll get there eventually. Every little thing is appreciated, but it takes a little extra to make it into the group.

Needless to say if you're already in the group you do not need to post here. If you don't have a contributor reward that you think you should have, still inquire below.

Contributor eligibility

In order to join the Contributor group and be eligible for in-game contributor rewards you will need to meet one of the following criteria:

• Have contributed to the development of a piece of game content to the satisfaction of the developer(s) who worked on it with you.

• Have created a piece of game content that developers are already fully satisfied with.

• Have a history of bug reports, testing, translating and other helpful tasks along with the creation of an original piece of content for the game, wiki, website or other official platforms that is deemed significant by developers.

• Be any member of TMW Team, an Adviser or a former member of a past team that has made obvious contributions to TMW.

Contributor group applications should be made in this thread.

TMW Team member

Octopus
Novice
Novice

Re: Contributor applications

Post by Octopus »

i received a contributor shirt many years ago by submitting bug reports and testing new content. i also helped out new players by providing them with equipment and tips on how to play! this is not a request to receive a shirt, because i already have one, but to see if i am eligible to be placed in the contributor group as i still put much effort into helping others as much as i can! i am always on the look out for bugs, mistakes and things that can be improved.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Approved since you already had a shirt :)

TMW Team member

+seeds
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by +seeds »

What exactly constitutes a contribution?
I've love to help by making graphics, but I'm not great at that, and I don't know what graphics you need :alt-3:
Characters: +seeds, +plants, +roots, +leaves, many others :alt-3:
Live long and prosper :wink:
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

+seeds wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 16:56 What exactly constitutes a contribution?
I've love to help by making graphics, but I'm not great at that, and I don't know what graphics you need :alt-3:
THE LONG WELCOMING LETTER

Graphics? We have a challenger! Hooray! :cheers:
The new graphics standards are quite high :alt-2: Not many people are interested in following such strict guidelines, but don't worry, that's nothing that can't be helped.

Just warning you might receive a lot of criticism for your hard work. But that's not because people hate your work, it's because everyone wants the best for the game :alt-6:

Also, at times all developers decide to take a vacation at GM Island and you might be left without any feedback/critics. If this even happen, do not give up, and bump it!

About what need to be done
First of, if you have the idea of a cool quest or something, do not hesit to write it down.

You can read a full list of tasks here

I also wrote a short list of which tasks required graphics, but it might be a bit outdated or being worked upon (eg. Mouboo riding and Candor).

Now, one of the most important things to remember... You're not being paid to follow strictly what's there. Likewise, we're not being paid to accept the stuff you submit or even to review it. For best or for worse, everyone here is a voluntary working towards a common goal.

About the staff you'll be working with
WildX is the responsible for the goal, he tries to make we don't divert too much from said goal and end up making a game full of partly-implemented features. He is the closest figure to a project lead we currently have.

EJlol is a senior developer, he have a lot of knowledge to impair with you about graphics. Both are active on the forums.

By last but not least, we have Micksha. He is the client-data lead, currently. In other words, he's the one who'll press the big buttons to approve/reject your changes. He is usually more active on IRC and Gitlab.

You'll be working with me only if you need specific mechanics for a certain item. For example, if you draw a [Hurnscald Map] item, I'll be there to implement it.

About work submission
I would recommend you to submit your early sketches directly on the forums, to obtain more feedback, specially from EJlol.

If you feel confortable though, you can go directly to GitLab, and fork client-data.

Gitlab is production. If you do not feel comfortable working with it, we can handle the hassle of bringing it to GitLab for final review & adding it to server.

PS. The link is partly outdated, specially the “Making Content” section.

About Guidelines
The guidelines at wiki seems to be a bit (read: very) outdated, but perspective etc. are still good.

Also, Evol Wiki still have info about palettes (even if half of the info about how to save graphics might cause pipelines to fail and thus, rejection from GIT)...

Answering your question (Yeah, let's get on-topic now)
What exactly constitutes a contribution?
If your contributions are not deemed enough, don't take it too hard, you'll get there eventually. Every little thing is appreciated, but it takes a little extra to make it into the group.
In other words, WildX will be evaluating your work. Once he thinks your work is good enough, he'll handle it. It's nothing personal, he'll do a strict review of how your work compares with the others which are contributors and decide if you've reached the invisible bar or not.

He will also ask Micksha and EJlol for their input, as they'll be co-working with you. In other words: it'll have a fair evaluation.

In the case his evaluation is not fair, they'll just ask his decision to be reviewed by the other members, and have a vote. It happens frequently with GM decisions, and his decisions are no exception.
So yeah, even if the bar is invisible and I cannot say exactly how much is enough, you can expect to receive no special treatment to raise or lower this invisible bar.

Most importantly: If you're interest in, welcome aboard! The sea can be violent at times, storms and stuff, but we've set sails and cannot go back now. Will you follow this tough ride to The Mana World? If you don't have fear of the sea, welcome aboard!

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

What software do I use to edit the clouds? https://gitlab.com/evol/clientdata/blob ... /cloud.png

I can't touch the clouds. :alt-4:

I tried gimp and piskelapp. :alt-3:

Nvm found it. Paint 3D works. :mrgreen:
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Uhm... I've moved a lot of wiki pages to Legacy and I'm trying to make a centralized resource page for TMW players in my profile page.
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... ctiveUsers
Oh, I've made a GM Log downloader bash script too.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Livio wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 19:25 Uhm... I've moved a lot of wiki pages to Legacy and I'm trying to make a centralized resource page for TMW players in my profile page.
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... ctiveUsers
Oh, I've made a GM Log downloader bash script too.
Usually I would say that contributions to the game server are needed, but you've done me a huge favour by moving all those pages and it's really a lot of activity which I will count as web development. I say you're eligible. Feel free to request your reward, any GM or admin who is online may be able to provide it, just link them to this post :)

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Done
Spoiler:
Handing out the shirt (Prsm is aware and that's all that matters)
Handing out the shirt (Prsm is aware and that's all that matters)
ManaPlus_Screenshot_server.themanaworld.org_2019-10-14_13-03-24_1.png (498.94 KiB) Viewed 12142 times

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Thank you all! :D
jak1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jak1 »

Hey,

i would like to request a contributor shirt
some player/dev's/gm's/adm's should know me :)
contributed some things to the server, helped debugging, wrote some small tools (currently a sprite xml tool)
the drawings like the Miniskirt are also work from me, currently also developing ManaPlus
trying to fix some bugs, adding features, (builds arnt released atm, if u want to try it, you need to build it from the repo)

some asked me to request as admin, but i know what a hard work it is (germantmw)

//dont want to make a new thread for it, so i put it in here too^^
note: if u need me to debug, or help with anything, just ask me
( Assembly / C / C++ / Java / Php / JS / CSS / html / bash / git )
tmw's server & clientupdate structure is also well known to me ^^

regards jak1
(yep, im the king of typos, i didnt found one so ther msut be at least one)

@}->--- ---<-{@

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

jak1 wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 01:25 Hey,

i would like to request a contributor shirt
some player/dev's/gm's/adm's should know me :)
contributed some things to the server, helped debugging, wrote some small tools (currently a sprite xml tool)
the drawings like the Miniskirt are also work from me, currently also developing ManaPlus
trying to fix some bugs, adding features, (builds arnt released atm, if u want to try it, you need to build it from the repo)

some asked me to request as admin, but i know what a hard work it is (germantmw)

//dont want to make a new thread for it, so i put it in here too^^
note: if u need me to debug, or help with anything, just ask me
( Assembly / C / C++ / Java / Php / JS / CSS / html / bash / git )
tmw's server & clientupdate structure is also well known to me ^^

regards jak1
(yep, im the king of typos, i didnt found one so ther msut be at least one)
Obviously approved. :lol: Ask any GM or Admin in game with reference to this post and you should get it.

TMW Team member

jak1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jak1 »

WildX wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 11:57 Obviously approved. :lol: Ask any GM or Admin in game with reference to this post and you should get it.
:oops: ty WildX :alt-0:

@}->--- ---<-{@

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Done
Spoiler:
ManaPlus_Screenshot_server.themanaworld.org_2020-04-04_15-40-38_3.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_server.themanaworld.org_2020-04-04_15-40-38_3.png (852.84 KiB) Viewed 7167 times

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Hello folks. I'd like one please. I'd like a dev hat even more, but hey... whatever works.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak